The Secret to a Relaxing Vacation: Meticulous, Detailed Plans

Yep! My friends teased me when I told them about touringplans.com and how much I loved the TPs and the Lines app but once we went on a trip together and they saw how much we were able to get done while using them, they were in awe. I don’t think I actually used any of my customized plans 100% but I used Lines to stay on top of what wait times were shortest (some pixie dust in the form of extra FPPs helped a lot too!) I kept telling them that I planned obsessively becuase 1) I enjoyed it and 2) it allowed me to know what my options were and if I went off plan what I could do instead. I was able to relax and be flexible because of my planning.

1 Like

Disney is far more expensive than Italy for us. There are so many discount packages you can get and then supplement with guided tours and off the beaten path stuff. Waiting until I can handle a flight with my youngest before going back. My oldest did great at 4! We chose disney this year specifically because my 18m old’s sleep schedule matters a lot to whether we have an enjoyable trip or a miserable time. So staying in time zone and flying at normal hours was a must. Summer will be the northeast for us. We will venture back out in a few years!

1 Like

Loved this article!

My reasons for planning:

• I find planning itself to be super fun. It is a mix of solving a puzzle to fit all pieces (attractions, money, time) and an excuse for learning as much as possible about a place.
  • I hate making on the spot decisions, I always feel like I don’t have enough information and keep second guessing myself. Since money and vacation days are both scarce resources, the feeling gets amplified.

On the other hand I don’t like having a detailed schedule. I prefer to have a list of attractions (rides, museums, sights) and knowing which are must-dos, want-to-dos, and which are if-there-is-time. My MK TP ended up like:
BOG (must)
UTS (if early enough)
Barnstormer (if early enough)
Buzz (want)
BTMRR (must)
Philarmagic (if early)
Space (must)

2 Likes