The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

I don’t really go anywhere either but I am having my hair cut the day before we go.

2 Likes

I understand all of your hesitations. From all that I’ve read (and mostly watched, on you tube) it seems to me that even in pre covid times the embarkation is iffy. My take on it is to go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if I get on the ship easily. I do remember some people on this thread (I think…) saying that you might be able to get your assigned embarkation time changed sooner to the sailing; I hope that works out for you. I also know what you mean about the excursions being very limited. When I had the chance to switch my Alaska cruise to 2022 (before it was officially canceled for 2021) I chose partly due to that. I’d like to have the freedom to get out and just walk around the port sometimes. Although for an area you haven’t explored before I think the bus tour would still be fabulous. The upgrade restaurants sound fun. If I eventually go I will definitely try at least one upgraded meal.

Salisbury Cathedral is BEAUTIFUL!!! I walked around in it with the organ playing for at least a solid hour. I would’ve stayed longer, but the weather was amazing when I was there so I wanted outside :sunny:. I think there’s a bit you can climb up to the roof. It’s a nice view of the city from there :heart_eyes:

Whether you go in the trip or not I would highly recommend a weekend/overnight in Salisbury. It’s a lovely place.

ETA Oh and I’ve just remembered they have a copy of the Magna Carta there too!

3 Likes

It really is just stunning! :heart:

9 Likes

When I was there thirty some odd years ago they were redoing the roof. They allowed people to put their names on the materials they were using (I seem to remember etching into some metal), so now my name is forever on the roof. Well, at least until they need another new roof.

6 Likes

Ooh! I like the origami display!!

1 Like

We visited summer 2018:

2 Likes

Minor news update.

Feeling slightly annoyed. One of the attractions of this cruise was how easy and relaxing it’s supposed to be. Quite unlike a WDW vacation that requires military planning.

But because they have hugely increased passenger numbers there are all sorts of things that suddenly require you to move fast or you miss out.

For example they have added a couple of Cirque du Soleil style shows. These are paid-for extras. People who’ve been say they’re really excellent. You’re supposed to be able to pre-book them online, but MSC uses the same people (apparently) for their tech as Disney. Literally no-one has managed to book. So you have to do it onboard. In a mad rush because the theatre it’s in is small (it’s not the main one) and the passenger numbers are huge.

I booked the “fun pass”, which gives me onboard credit for various paid-for activities. One is ten pin bowling. Apparently you can only reserve a slot the day before and it’s almost impossible to do so because it’s wildly popular and there are only two lanes, one of which — I assume — is closed because of COVID.

I’ve pre-paid for some speciality dining. Again, reservations can only be made onboard and, again, it’s wildly popular so they’re hard to come by.

I’ve already started thinking that I’ll have to get up early to rope-drop the hot tubs before dashing off for breakfast before the crowds — and lines — appear.

Ugh.

There are times when I think I’ll just lock myself in my room and order (free) room service and stare at the sea from my balcony. I’ll only emerge during the early hours of the morning to walk round the ship when everyone else is in bed.

4 Likes

Actually, this sounds like a very appealing course of action!

3 Likes

I’m only half-joking and it might actually be quite nice.

Delta has me sufficiently worried that I’m going to be quite big on social distancing. I don’t even know why I’m wanting to book theatres.

4 Likes

I need you to start charting your moods for me each day for comparison. Is this considered a good day for you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

No. I’m in a really negative place at the moment. I don’t know why. It just kinda hit me earlier this evening.

1 Like

It’s because you’re so down because of my recent stint in hospital…

2 Likes

Oh, I thought slightly annoyed might be better than the days you’re extremely annoyed anyway.

Sorry, trying to be amusing when this is obviously really hard for you probably wasn’t appropriate.

As I’ve said elsewhere, every decision is way too hard right now.

2 Likes

OK, I’m just going to say it: Why would you not cancel at this point? How could this possibly be fun? For the expense?

And this from someone who is going to WDW in 9 days for 10 days, and hurricanes are possibly heading for Florida.

Why would you subject yourself to this?

Unless you think it will be fun, which is totally your call, of course.

1 Like

I’m British. “Slightly annoyed” means “furious”.

You’re not taking into account the fact that I’m, you know, crazy.

I will enjoy it. The ship looks awesome. I’m excited about some of the food options. I’m excited about the (free) very expensive drinks I’ll be drinking. I’m excited about the cabin and my balcony. I will get some hot tub action.

Everything else is gravy. I’m a major sufferer of FOMO. If I get zero theatre action I don’t think I’ll really care. Ten pin bowling on my own might not be as much fun as I think it’s going to be.

And if the COVIDness of it all freaks me out there are ways to be (over)cautious and still have a good time.

Regular readers may know that I get like this before big trips away. It’s at least in part something to do with crippling guilt at leaving Calvin for a week and a bit.

Before my last WDW trip I ended up in the ER because my eye went weird. And the trip before that I had a panic attack in the airport hotel the night before my flight and seriously considered driving straight home.

I’m proper cray cray.

8 Likes

I do not agree with this assessment.

1 Like

I’m a bit cray cray.

2 Likes

Smidgen.

3 Likes

OK, I’m convinced

Have All the Fun, Crazy Mouse Person :mouse:

Truly, do have All the Fun – Enjoy it!

3 Likes