The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

Around the time I joined this site and got sucked into its cult.

4 Likes

What is making the Mickey shadow? I kind of assumed it was a Mickey figurine of some sort, but maybe it was random? I think it’s Walt trying to encourage you not to give up! I just hear a pep talk given in Mickey’s voice. Don’t give up, Matt! You will go on that cruise!

4 Likes

It is.

7 Likes

Oh, I LOVE Jim Shore! That one is perfect for you and Calvin… it’s Calvin (dog) right?

1 Like

Side bar:

Calvin’s rhinitis — which he’s had since November 2018, but which seemed to go away for a month or even two recently — has come back. I can think of nothing more calculated to plunge me into nihilistic despair than that.

4 Likes

DH and I were married at WDW

5 Likes

Are you sure he’s a dog and not a deer?

3 Likes

He can really look like one sometimes.

3 Likes

I have a few of these ornaments but neither of these two.

1 Like

He looks SO happy! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

He is so cute!!!

2 Likes

He’s so cute! I’m sure he’s a great friend. :slight_smile:

Is there any news on your cruise? Forgive me if everything is cancelled and I forgot…I’ve forgotten… a lot lately…

I cancelled the Disney one in favour of the MSC one, which is still on the books and I depart in four weeks.

However, COVID numbers are crazy here (highest number of daily infections in the world) and though I’m fully vaccinated I have two concerns.

First, you have to take a COVID test right before you board. In the next four weeks it’s going to become ever easier to catch COVID and being vaccinated doesn’t stop you from catching it.

Second, the cruise line has increased passenger numbers (in line with changes in the law) and do I really want to take a cruise with so much COVID swirling around? Unlike WDW, everyone on board will have been tested, but they could have picked COVID up the day before they boarded, so it wouldn’t be picked up by the test.

That being said, you take a second test midway through the cruise and are isolated if you test positive. That’s good — and bad. Imagine if you test positive. You don’t get to stay in your nice balcony room. They have special rooms set aside. Maybe they’re inside rooms?

Meanwhile, I have a WDW trip booked for October (20% likelihood of happening), a DLP trip booked for December (40%) and another DLP trip booked for April (80%).

Oh, today is “Freedom Day” — all our restrictions have been lifted. While we have the highest number of infections in the world. These were the scenes today in one local bar:

It’s likely none of those people is fully vaccinated.

6 Likes

Doesn’t it make you proud to be British?!

3 Likes

It seems that the Indian vaccine issue has been resolved with France. So I’m reassessing my DLP probabilities: December 60% and April 90%.

I’ve also just discovered that my April trip coincides with the start of DLP’s 30th anniversary celebrations.

To make the numbers nice multiples of each other, I’m downgrading my October WDW trip probability to 15%.

6 Likes

I am very intrigued by #mousemattmath :wink:

4 Likes

Woot woot! I hope that is definitive. What a mess that was.

2 Likes

I can use words if you prefer:

October WDW: unlikely
December DLP: quite likely
April DLP: very likely

I like numbers to be meaningful or have patterns. I’m one of those people who can only have the volume on my TV at certain levels.

5 Likes

It’s been reported in a number of news outlets. Oh, and it’s on the French embassy’s website.

Annoyingly — should we be surprised? — it hasn’t been as widely broadcast as the original refusal to recognise the Indian vaccine was. I guess good news doesn’t sell papers.

4 Likes