The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

Regular readers will know that I have now added a second — non-Disney — cruise to my summer plans. Here are the details of how that happened.

Having committed to the DCL cruise I started avidly watching YouTube videos about cruising — and not just on DCL. Last week I saw one about the new ship MSC Virtuosa. It’s a much bigger ship than the Magic and the video tour of it blew me away. It looked incredibly. And it’s doing UK staycation cruises. Almost immediately I looked into pricing one up.

My initial idea to get on board as soon as possible — they’ve already started their itineraries — didn’t work out as I couldn’t get childcare, so the idea faded. But over the weekend I made the decision to abandon my August WDW trip and a second cruise was back on the agenda. It turned out they had a perfect combination of dates and departure / return port and I booked with very little additional thought or research.

I’ve booked a seven night cruise from Liverpool to Liverpool. But, unlike the DCL cruises, these ones do actually stop at other ports — Glasgow, Belfast and Southampton — where it is possible to take excursions. (That’s technically three different countries, if you’re counting.)

Having decided on the specific cruise, the next decision was cabin type. Easy: balcony. After that you choose the “experience” you want — in order of increasing cost: Bella, Fantastica and Aurea. The level determines a number of features. While each offers balcony cabins, the Aurea balcony cabins are in better locations than the Bella balcony cabins, for example. The Aurea experience allows you to dine whenever you want without booking or selecting an early / late option. And so on. Bella wasn’t available. I chose Aurea because I wanted a midships cabin (seasickness concerns) and the other perks seemed worth the extra cost to me.

You then choose your specific cabin. In my case a choice of one. I guess these things are booking up.

The fare is more all-inclusive than DCL. For a start, it includes gratuities. And it comes with a drinks package. Though there is a premium for being a solo traveller, they don’t charge you double like DCL does. In fact, they have some cabins (albeit inside cabins) that are designed for solo travellers.

Once I paid my deposit I was able to log in to the MSC website (or use the app) and start booking extras — no waiting until I’d paid the full amount (like DCL) and no nonsense with status determining when you can book things.

I have a couple of upcharge decisions to make. The first is whether or not to upgrade to the Premium Plus drinks package. The included package covers drinks up to £10 ($14) each. But the Plus package has no limit and includes champagne and big name brand spirits. The upcharge is £13 ($18) per night if you book it before you board. (It’s slightly higher if you book it onboard.) You don’t need to drink a lot of champagne to make that deal worth it. It also upgrades the room service offering. Unlike DCL (this time DCL wins) room service food is chargeable, but my package gives free room service delivery. The Premium Plus drinks package makes room service food — and the minibar — free.

I’ve decided to make the upgrade. One of the parents of my students — who has just finished his two years of tuition with me — gave me a £200 ($280) gratuity and I promised her I’d spend it on the upgrade and would toast her in champagne.

The second upcharge option is to prebook and prepay for meals in the chargeable restaurants. There are four of these. I don’t get the impression that they’re Palo standard, but they’re better than the standard fare. There’s a steakhouse, a sushi restaurant, Vietnamese/French fusion and some kind of tacos / nachos type experience. Booking all four costs £106 ($150).

There are other choices to make, too.

First, WIFI. The WIFI package is £50 ($70) for the trip. I’m torn on this one. I’m tempted to go cold turkey and disconnect completely for the week. (Well, I’ll be able to use my cell service when we’re in ports to catch up on “important” messages and e-mails.)

Second, excursions. These cost between £50 and £60 ($70 to $85) each. Because of the ship’s COVID protocols, you are only allowed to leave the ship if you are on one of their excursions and you are kept together as a pack during the excursion. I’ve never been to Northern Ireland so I think I’ll definitely sign up for a Belfast excursion. Scotland has some beautiful scenery and there’s a cruise (!) on Loch Lomond which is tempting. There is some benefit to staying onboard during a port day as the ship will be quieter and you have more chance of getting time in one of the five (ahem) pools. And I’d have internet access via my phone. Maybe I could do some online catch-up then.

I leave you with a thought and some photos.

I feel a little guilty about taking two cruises. Not least because it’s stretching my finances a little. But then I figure I was robbed of a proper vacation last summer, so I’m really only reclaiming what is rightfully mine :wink:

Those glass stairs are stuffed with Swarovski crystals.

1281383C-154C-451D-8BEF-9F8757CC0B73

The ceiling is a giant video screen which runs the full length of the galleria and the image changes regularly.

10 Likes

100%

4 Likes

Wow! Looks gorgeous!

1 Like

Well I am out of town for a few days and look at what develops! Congrats! I hope you love it and I hope it’s super soon. I’ll be following closely! If you need encouragement, I think you should do the Loch Lomond cruise! So you take the high road and I’ll take the low road and you’ll be in Scotland before me. (I am going next year but I hear Loch Lomond and can’t help myself…)

3 Likes

Do you get the Smithsonian channel? We have been devouring this show! I keep rewatching some of them. ETA: It’s called Mighty Cruise Ships!

I upgraded my drinks package.

Here’s a post about it. It’s wild.

Also, look how pretty my ship is:

8 Likes

Mousematt, your reaction to the grandeur of the ships is exactly how I feel about them! I can’t wait for my long delayed first cruise, but it is a year away now. Sigh.

1 Like

I haven’t been this excited about something since 2019.

I’m (a) really looking forward to my cruises and (b) totally over my bitterness that you people keep going to WDW every five minutes.

5 Likes

That’s a ship ??? :astonished:

2 Likes

Told you. It’s jaw-dropping.

2 Likes

It would sux to be in all that splendor and sea sick at the same time :pensive:

1 Like

I am marginally worried about this. But, you know, there’s things you can do. And they have things you can buy on board. And there’s a health centre.

3 Likes

I know you will be prepared. It looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to see your pictures and read your TR; oh I hope you do a TR! :pray:

This thread is it. I’m planning on doing a complete report. (Though I’m aware I haven’t returned to finish my birthday trip report yet. I will.)

8 Likes

I’ll be there reading it when you get around to it :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t think we’ve forgotten. I’ve just been too polite to mention it. :wink:

4 Likes

When I did my Alaska cruise, I got seasick one morning (had not on two previous cruises). I bought these wrist bands that have little beads on them that put put gentle pressure on the inside of your wrist and they are meant to help quell the queasiness. I was fine the rest of the time. I might recommend those as a proactive precaution in lieu of medication if you’re worried.

3 Likes

Yes, seabands! They are a lifesaver on cruises!

2 Likes

Hmm.

You’re not going to like this.

I’m thinking of cancelling the DCL cruise.

For a number of reasons.

1. Isn’t two cruises within a month of each other a bit excessive? Especially when they are kinda the same cruise. In terms of routing.

2. Two cruises is definitely very expensive. Especially the DCL one. All in, nearly $3,000 for three nights. The MSC cruise is nearer $4,000 but it’s seven nights and includes that crazily unlimited drinks package. And tips.

3. I’ve been thinking about the finances of my next trip to Florida — which I hope will be next summer. It will be a lot easier to pay for if I have cruise refund money hanging around.

4. I only need to abandon Calvin once this summer if I cancel one cruise.

5. The MSC cruise is in late August — maybe there’ll be less COVID nonsense onboard by then. The DCL one is somewhat limited and very masky. (Maybe there’ll be more COVID nonsense. Maybe we’ll be in the grip of our third wave. Or all dying of a vaccine-resistant variant.)

But mainly — this is the really shocking part — I’ve just never been that excited about the DCL cruise. Sure, there are aspects that sound cool. But — I know this is weird — I’m just not that into Disney stuff. You know, the shows and character meets and whatnot. I’m not sure what it is about WDW that has been so addictive in the past, but it hasn’t been links to movies and their characters. Honestly? I find FOTLK kinda boring. The Nemo show traumatised me. BATB was boring, too. I’ve never seen Frozen and never will. FEA is lost on me and I have no interest in catching up.

The MSC ship, on the other hand, blows my mind. It’s so huge and luxurious. It has five pools, including one indoors. And a water park and a ropes course. I’m genuinely super-excited to go on it. (And, being bigger and newer, will it be less seasicky?)

I’m open to counter-argument, but the current plan — if I feel the same in the morning — is to call and cancel.

8 Likes

Nah. Can’t argue with you. I agree.

(Sorry if that is not what you wanted.)

I’m extremely interested in an MSC Meraviglia cruise for either 12/12 or 1/2 out of Port Canaveral and I have you to thank for that.

I hope you do the 7 night one. That’s a great price for 7-nights for single supplement and all the add ons. I think it will answer whether or not you are a cruiser. If so - you have gazillions of options all around the world once this pandemic thing abates. DCL will be available later, too.

4 Likes