The planning begins: first iteration

I really like breakfast, too, and they were one of the highlight’s of this year’s trip.

But I want to try new things and I think the early-rides-then-lunch plan is sensible.

1 Like

I knew there was something I liked about you. :slight_smile:

Good plan.

1 Like

I can’t help but endorse Flying Fish as an choice. It’s a must-do for me pretty much every trip.

I do have one question, though.

Are you keeping your CG Brunch?

Yes. I’m pretty solid on the CG brunch. It works well with the schedule I’ve planned. So far. Ahem.

But I really want to do it. I cut it this year because I couldn’t make it work with my other plans.

2 Likes

Remember if portions are large your can just eat what’s comfortable for you. It’s vacation - you don’t have to clean your plate.

That’s much easier said than done. I don’t know if it’s greed or some moral issue with waste, but I find it very difficult not to finish a plate.

Lately, my wife and I have gone out to Arby’s for our date nights to eat because we like the food…but more because they have coupons where you get two sandwiches, two fries, six cheesesticks, and two drinks for $8.99. Trouble is, it is too much food for us. But if they give us the fries, I find myself eating them even though I don’t want them. So, I’ve actually taken to just telling them I want the coupon deal, but don’t give us the fries.

A little harder to do that at a table-service restaurant.

“Uh. I’d like the 8 oz filet, but only give me 6 ounces of it. And the baked potato? Just give me half. I’ll eat all the steamed broccoli, so no worries there. Thanks!”

3 Likes

I totally understand. I’ve worked hard to get healthier this year so the strategy I’m going to try is to order what I want but to only eat what I need to be satisfied. I can’t control what they put on my plate, but I can choose how much I eat of it.

You see I can’t do that because I have a serious brain deficiency.

I’m missing the part of your brain that says “you’ve eaten enough now, fat boy”. Doctors believe I was born with it, but the part of your brain that says “this is delicious, eat it until you explode” actually ate that other part of my brain.

I’m thinking of starting a crowd fundraiser to offer support to suffers such as myself. It would be used to pay for deluxe dining plans and tubs of Ben and Jerry’s.

10 Likes

:joy::joy: I know where you’re coming from.

I eyeball my food when I get it and decide how much I’m going to eat before I start. Took a lot of practice but I’m a lot happier this way overall.

I really just started following your posts and am enjoying them and the comments. Looking forward to seeing how your plans develop.

1 Like

Speaking of eating too much, how are some of the signature restaurants with 2 people sharing a meal? (not on DDP) I would hope they would be okay with that and not give me grief

If you do so (no harm in doing so) I DO recommend leaving a larger tip, percentage wise. Not double or anything, but perhaps 25% instead of 20%, that kind of thing. While it is true that they have less work to do…not a LOT less. They still have to bring drinks and food, take orders. But you have the price of a single meal taking up the space that COULD be the price of a double meal if another couple came and sat there.

I’m not so concerned about the restaurant itself, but just the wait staff.

1 Like

Oh - totally agree on the extra tip. I’ve been a server and I am quite generous because it IS work

1 Like

I also dislike wasting food, and I have found that most high end restaurants will accommodate my request for smaller portions. Also love me some Arby’s!