“The Ocean chose ME!” A DCL Trip Report

I just found this trip report! Looks like a great trip. We are on the Dream out of Miami in October. We have sailed DCL quite a bit, but not since 2018. How was customs getting off the ship? We have cruised RCL twice recently from Miami & they use the facial recognition & you don’t even show your passport when exiting. It’s so fast. Does the DCL terminal use this technology?

1 Like

Easy peasy.

My colleagues and I were in no particular hurry. We had early breakfast so we were ready to be off quickly but decided to wait out the masses at Vista Cafe and continue to visit. I think all told, including getting my luggage, took just under an hour once we got in line. The most of that was in the terminal waiting to get my luggage. It was painless and well organized. We did need to have our ID and citizenship documents though - no facial recognition.

4 Likes

So, do you actually still talk to a customs officer? In the RCL terminal in Miami, as long as you are a US citizen with a passport you just walk up to this ipad type device, look at it & you get a green check mark. It’s less than 5 minutes from the time you are scanned off the ship. I was hoping they had added that technology in all the terminals.

1 Like

I had to present my stuff to a guy right before I exited the terminal.

I had nothing to declare.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. We used a car service to the port in April & it was so fast that we actually had to wait for him! Last weekend we drove, so didn’t have to worry about what time to be picked up. Not sure what we will do in October, but at least I know if we having a car pick us up it won’t be quite as fast as RCL.

2 Likes

Are you all better? I’m going to take a home test tonight when I get home and for the next three days. Last night there was a little boy nonstop wet coughing and yawning while waiting to get into the restaurant. I’m almost positive he was spreading Covid all over us.

2 Likes

I’m better than I was, for certain. But I am far from all better. Mostly just exhausted. I did a couple of small chores a while ago and practically needed a nap. But at least the body aches are gone and my throat is so much better.

I hope you are negative!

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers:but I’m not counting on it. I work from home so I can push thru if I get it at least.

Also glad you’re doing better. The tired lasted a couple of weeks for me in June.

3 Likes

Yes, I think anyone traveling now should do so with the expectation that they are going to get it

5 Likes

I think that’s very reasonable and if you’re wrong - it’s an absolute win.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this has changed, but I believe Covid is known for being a dry cough. The kid very well could have had some other virus. Not that those are any fun either, but at least if it’s not Covid, you wouldn’t need to worry about quarantine.

3 Likes

My cough right now (still Covid) is definitely a wet cough.

2 Likes

I think I remember reading somewhere that the newer variants have morphed into causing a more productive cough.

2 Likes

My cough is mostly dry, but occasionally gets a little wet

2 Likes

So you go both ways? :smirk:

4 Likes

. . .

How to answer this…

My cough has been known to not limit itself to one manifestation to the exclusion of all others?

7 Likes

So your cough is nonbinary…?

5 Likes

It is my understanding and experience that coughs manifest more on a continuum than on absolute polarity

Of course, some circumstances limit the experience of the cough. For example, being older and married typically means the cough presents only one way for the duration. But for the younger and unattached a cough could present just about any way you could imagine.

8 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Glad you’re feeling less crappy. Now go take a nap so you can get better.

4 Likes