The Muppets Present Great Moments in American History

I saw this rumor, too and I am super bummed! We didn’t make it on our last trip due to timing and I really wanted to see it when we return at Christmas (mostly just to see some real-life Muppets in action), but it sounds like it will be over by October. sad trombone

1 Like

NOOOO!

Also Turkey Legs. On my last trip (May 2018), I could get a Turkey Leg only in Liberty Square.

I’m very sad. This show was brilliant, and such a nice don’t-need-to-plan-too-much lovely tucked-in part of MK.

6 Likes

Agree…I thought Liberty Square would be WDW answer to DL’s New Orleans Square which is one of my favorite paces…It isn’t.

Totally agree with you referring to 7DMT as half-baked or as I like to refer to it as half-a-ride!

Noooooo! I don’t get there until the 11th.

1 Like

Cast have posted their last performances are the afternoon of 5th of October.
(and yes, real people behind the Muppets and the human character sings live.)

We miss it by two weeks and are so sad. It is a big favourite here, especially with the five year old who thinks JJ the town crier is second only to Mickey himself.

2 Likes

:sob::sob:

I don’t think it’s SWGE alone that is driving these cuts. I admire that they took such a risk on SWGE. If they weren’t looking at the economic downturn clouds gathering on the horizon, I would be more critical of such cuts. However, given they had fewer visitors last year (albeit those visitors spent more money), they have to recoup the SWGE costs and they can anticipate a further decline in attendance - probably with the expected reduced spending this time - I think this is a smart short term move.

The problem is that once these things are gone, are they gone for good? 18 months down the line when the economy is recovered/recovering do they introduce similar acts/entertainment or do they simply keep on keeping on?

Like so many here I am seriously bummed about Muppets (and Burudika) ending. Sure we’d missed them our first trip but our second family trip was to focus on all the little things that make WDW unique and not just a regular theme park. It’s hard for me to evaluate how much Disney is dependent upon return visitors vs first time visitors. I haven’t read their earnings reports and don’t know if they even release such information (but if anyone knows this, I’d love to find out). My gut is that at least WDW occupies such a unique space that they are fairly well insulated from the return visitor concerns.

1 Like

I agree, to a point. But I think Disney was counting on SWGE being a cash cow to get them through. And that hasn’t happened, forcing them to have to make some hard decisions. In fact, it is possible SWGE actually HURT them more than HELPED them. We shall see long term.

I do think, though, that it isn’t just ALL about SWGE. Disney, in my mind, is kind of playing a bit of catch up. Mad dash to get a bunch of new stuff/improvements before the 50th. The rework of EPCOT has been a long-time coming. A lot of investment going on. Not to mention the infamous Monorail incidents that show money will need to be invested there as well. But with all this investment, they need fresh money. I think they are approaching an upper limit of what they can charge, which means the constant price increases to drive up revenue is likely going to have to be somewhat subdued. I DO think they might get away with some price increases for the 50th, because it will drive in some people. But after that? Hmm.

2 Likes