The Magic is calling... But maybe the universe has other plans...but we push on... Trip report

That’s… Incorrect info and I’m sorry that happened.

4 Likes

That’s absolutely wrong, that sucks.

3 Likes

Advice. Don’t ask, but TELL them you need rider swap. If you phrase it as a question, it gives them the chance to say no. If you state it as a fact, they are more likely to just go with it.

“We need to do Rider Swap because my daughter can’t ride.”

4 Likes

Man I tried…even went hard sell of we were told rider swap over disability…still no go. I am wondering if it was another ride vs FOP at rope drop if it would ha e mattered. I really don’t want to go the disability pass route. Don’t think she needs it, but if they are going to force us there, may just have to. Still thinking it over and trying not to dwell.

3 Likes

Any drink recs for Yak & Yeti?

Think South Seas traveler or Snap Decision…

I don’t think you can go wrong with any.

1 Like

Pink Himalayan

3 Likes

We use the DAS pass for my son. Even though he has a host of diagnoses (autism, sensory challenges, anxiety, etc) he “passes” as neurotypical and with some effort can wait in some lines … so I felt uncomfortable for quite some time using one (and also using TSA Cares for security assistance when we fly).

A friend had a long conversation with me about how these services are there specifically to assist in making WDW more accessible to everyone. That I should not look at it as taking advantage because it isn’t. DAS is there specifically for this purpose.

Your daughter went through a traumatic physical event and is not medically able to participate in everything. I would get her a DAS pass so you don’t have this issue again. It doesn’t take long at all, and everyone in your party must be present at guest services. When requesting you just have to tell them what she isn’t able to do (no medical note needed… although the cast should speak for itself).

If guest services says you don’t need a DAS, then tell them about your FOP experience and ask how you should handle it moving forward.

ETA: Using DAS definitely has a positive impact on how well our son is able to deal with the sensory input (and not having to expend a lot of energy to do so) which made for a far more enjoyable experience for everyone!

11 Likes

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to share your experience and advice. If we get this set up at one park does it apply to all?

2 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

If you need to use the DAS in the more traditional way, you can get a DAS return from any Rider Swap CM at an attraction, or from the Guest Experience Team which is sprinkled throughout the parks under blue umbrellas. Note that the DAS holder must be a rider in order to obtain a return.

But anyone in the party can go and get the DAS return time.

1 Like

Yes…everyone has to be there to sign up for it (we had to go back w/ my dd one trip as she arrived a day later than we did), but anyone can get the DAS return.

For us, our son doesn’t do thrill rides so we can’t use it on any of them since he isn’t riding. This is when we used to do RS…and interestingly, no one ever asked if he had a DAS so I am puzzled by what the FOP CM shared this morning.

Yeah, she was not pleasant either… Basically said RS was Only for children under the height…yey the first question she asked was age… Was definitely frustrated, but chose to not let it impact us.

So for rides she can not ride due to the cast, yet both us parents want to both ride, DAS won’t help?

2 Likes

You can’t get a DAS return, but you should be able to get a RS.

So in your scenario this morning, when pressed about age, etc you could have shown “proof” she couldn’t ride and get a RS.

I am also going to do some digging into RS. I would have sworn there weren’t any age restrictions when I looked into the RS guidelines before our 2018 trip.

I am pretty sure this is the same wording I remember from 2018 (bolded emphasis mine)…

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

WDW Rider Switch Page

3 Likes

Yes, that has always been the wording. I remember there were issues at FEA when some children didn’t want to ride and the CMs insisting the parties could not get a RS

1 Like

You shouldn’t NEED a DAS to use RS, but it may be useful in case you run into another CM that thinks it is an age/height related accommodation.

1 Like

@jeremy_dmiller, I think you should email guest services with the RS language.

6 Likes