The inner workings of joining a boarding group

I originally posted this on WDWMAGIC, but as a Touring Plans customer, I thought it would also be of interest to others in this data-oriented community. I’d be happy to answer any questions people have or provide more specific technical details if people are interested.

17 Likes

Good work! Definitely explains what we’ve been seeing.
It’s funny… I use Fiddler and Charles on a daily basis at my job, yet it never occurred to me to proxy the MDE app through a debug tool!

2 Likes

tagging @ann0d and @Dreamer to be certain they have this

1 Like

Thanks. I hope four mornings devoted to snagging a BG is good enough to at least ride once.

Thanks @dumborunner

1 Like

This explains what I was seeing in the screen cap video I posted a while back… where I launched the app a few seconds early and couldn’t get the button to turn orange.

3 Likes

Wow this is amazing how you figured all this out, I am not a savvy tech person at all, so this is so confusing to me. So at what point where should I be at in the app at 8:00? Sorry I am really bad at phones, I’m old and never got into this tech stuff lol. I’ve been reading this thread and I just get more confused

1 Like

You want to be on the home screen of the app, which is where the app is when it initially loads. If you’re somewhere else in the app, you can get to the home screen by hitting the home icon in the bottom left corner.

An update that complicates things even more than they already were:

The bottom line, for now, is that the best time to launch the app is two minutes before the queue opens to ensure you’re able to use both API calls when the time comes.

1 Like

And then…click My Status IMMEDIATELY at 8:00:00 or wait a second?

Well, the first button you need to tap is Find Out More, which I would do right at 8:00:00 (but not a nanosecond before). If that fails to give you a red Join Boarding Group button, I would personally wait a second or two before tapping My Status. If that still doesn’t give you a working Join button, you need to immediately force close the app and try again.

2 Likes

Ok! Thanks! Will practice this again tomorrow!

1 Like

Omg this is stressing me out, I thought Disney was suppose to be fun? I love planning, TP , etc but when I go into the park I want to be relaxed. Total craziness.

2 Likes

@joelbruick Thanks! This mornings practice went very smoothly! I feel like I would have gotten a great BG if it was for real! :grin:

1 Like

Good for you MJJG5, I was trying this morning, but can only get so far, but at least I know what to do. Tomorrow I get to make my FP’s!

1 Like

We are trying for RoR next weekend (crowd 10 ugh)… it’s only myself and my daughter. She is only 11 so she does not have her own MDE account. Do you know it would cause an issue if she also logged into my MDE on her phone and we both tried to get a BG? Can we be signed in to the same account at the same time without messing anything up?

It should be fine. I’ve been testing with the same account on two phones simultaneously without issue.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! I appreciate it.

How do you know when the exact moment of 8 a.m. is? How can I make sure I am synched with Disney time?

Go to https://time.is/ to check the accuracy of your phone’s clock. If it’s within a few tenths of a second, that’s probably close enough. You can also just watch the time on that page and then switch back to the Disney app half a second or so (depending on how fast you are at switching between apps) before 8.

In my testing, I’ve found my old iPhone SE to do an outstanding job of staying synced with the official time. My current phone, a Pixel 3a running Android 10, is less accurate but usually still close enough. However, the clock on my girlfriend’s older Galaxy S7 (Android 8) has been up to 1.7 seconds fast, which isn’t ideal. And on that phone, there doesn’t seem to be a way to force it to re-sync, so you’d definitely want to use Time.is (or a similar website or app) for the most accurate time.