The Great Packing Cube Debate

If you don’t mind me asking, what about the cubes made you become an instant convert? I’m interested in getting some but I know DH will tell me it’s overkill HA! So, if I am to convince him that we NEED these, I will need to be able to give supporting facts/documentation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a word: tidiness.

It makes your suitcase logical and clear — you can see where everything is, all neatly packed away. No digging around to find things.

Some people pack cubes by item, others by outfit. Last year I did it by item — t-shirts in one, socks in another — but this year I’m going to try packing by day: all of one day’s clothes in one cube.

1 Like

I am a carry on girl and packing cubes have been vital when my bags have been searched. Previously I have had unmentionables nearly fall out! On our last family trip to DLR, it was much easier to keep the room clean (not an easy task with two tween boys) and getting ready was so much easier. No screaming at me to help me find XYZ article of clothing. My husband is the lone hold out, but give him time…

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m still trying to get DH on board but…I think he’s slowly coming around…SLOWLY! LOL

1 Like

I e searched online but where do you all buy yours?? Looking for a good deal! Thanks

Amazon

I have ebags brand that I purchased from their website during a sale.

1 Like

These and their varying sized set are my favourites:

The size of the mediums is perfect for my shirts to be folded as they would be in a drawer. I can fit 14 t-shirts in one medium sized cube.

I also like:

for the large size, which is nice for pants, shorts or DH’s larger shirts. The smaller one is great for underwear, socks and toiletries/first aid stuff.

The extra large is like 2 mediums side by side. Last trip I used them for our laundry, but I’ve also used them for pants I only want to fold in half, suit jackets or dresses.

I should note that all the systems have slightly different sizes. I chose these because I folded up some clothes and measured what I’d need. I didn’t want the one where the narrow was only 13x9. I need the extra 13.78x10.24. Also, some aren’t as deep as others. The more shallow sets might be great for packing by outfit, but if you’re packing by item, the deeper ones are nicer. Think about your needs and check the sizes before you decide on a set.

I also have these:

which are nice, too. They are a slightly heavier windbreaker material than the Gonex and slightly different sizes (but almost identical).

The only things I pack per outfit are special items, like that formal outfit or the costume or the special thing you’ll wear to grandma’s 90th birthday party. Everything else I take is mix and match.

So, for example, if @profmatt were to pack per outfit and wanted to wear his new chinos more than once with different tops, he’d either have to pack two outfits with those pants or go out and buy another pair of pants. That’s the big advantage to packing by item rather than by day, except for those specialty outfits. What do you do with those mix and match items?

1 Like

If you have one near you, IKEA has them. We are fortunate enough to have an IKEA less than 20 minutes away. We bought several from there.

We’re packing right now, I did mine by outfit. Since we’re bringing two suitcases (thanks to DH winning a flight on jetblue) I’m splitting my outfits between the two. I’m somewhat paranoid that one of the suitcases will be lost…so I’m trying to make sure that I split things up!

1 Like

After all this talk, DW and I purchased 2 sets of these for our 11 day trip we just got back from.

Between these and the roll packing shirts, i don’t think our suitcase has ever been so organized.

The only downfall was i need a forklift to move that suitcase.

2 Likes