The Great British Castle and Baked Goods Tour 2022

More sun in Scotland!

Hopetoun House in Queensferry. Another excellent recommendation from @Nicky_S. It’s basically a Downton Abbey house which is very cool.

We weren’t actually originally going to even bring the boys here but the steam train doesn’t run on Mondays… But the downstairs Butler’s Pantry was interactive for the kids.

In the morning we did a 3 Bridges Tour on the Firth of Forth (say that 3 times fast.) No Puffins but lots of seals. The red railroad bridge is a world heritage site.

The narration on the boat tour actually referred Epcot and then later DH and I passed this familiar bar!

Unrelated but my Dad left his cell phone in a cab yesterday and I emailed the company and the cab driver returned it personally to their hotel in less than 6 hours. Hooray for Central Cab in Edinburgh! (Our stroller is still very MIA though…)

14 Likes

Here’s a shot of all 3 Bridges.

12 Likes

@melcort10 , it’s the Firth of Forth. :wink:

A Firth is an estuary, kinda. The Forth is the river.

Glad you enjoyed Hopetoun and the boat trip. Bummer about the steam train, didn’t you have tickets for it?

5 Likes

:rofl: It’s hard either way!

I didn’t have tickets thankfully. I swear it was open when I first looked at the timetable but I do sometimes get tripped up when the week starts on Monday.

5 Likes

It was a scorcher today!! :sunny::sunny:

Your pics are fabulous. Looks like another fun day.

I’ve driven past this a million times and never been in. I’ll have to visit…

5 Likes

Love that you found an actual Rose & Crown! Sounds like you’ve had a full on day all round. Shame no puffins- we keep aiming to go see them in Yorkshire but never have.

6 Likes

Did you see them painting the bridge? It’s meant to be continuous.

3 Likes

That stopped a long while back when they did a final coat in some super duper paint that means it doesn’t need done again for many years.

4 Likes

Define scorcher.

5 Likes

Like over 70F!!! :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS I knew you would comment on that. I nearly tagged you :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

That’s no fun- I remember it from Blue Peter!

But yep been v warm down south again too- not sure it’s so good by next week though.

2 Likes

70 sounds lovely!! It was 88 yesterday and we spent most of the day outside because it was so cool.

4 Likes

Haha it really was a Scottish scorcher yesterday. We all have red noses even with sunscreen. Funny how different perceptions are. I’m so glad it’s not 88!

3 Likes

I just saw this picture on Facebook so I have to assume I’m never seeing our stroller again! We actually almost didn’t bring it so I think we’ll be ok but it would probably have been helpful in London.

4 Likes

London REALLY cannot decide what it is going to do! I am thinking of sending a bag home with my parents. Do we send back the sweaters or the shorts??? Anyone’s guess!

I’m glad for you too. 88 over there would be difficult since there’s very little AC in places.

3 Likes

That’s ridiculous!

2 Likes

I’m a day behind! Yesterday we did the big castle! I think I’m on #4 or 5 now. In yet another Disney parallel they were turning many, many people away at the gate because tickets were all sold out for the day.

A big smile from my shy guy.

We caught the one o’clock gun which was a big hit. DH camped out for 20 minutes for a front row seat. I don’t even think we’ve camped that long for WDW fireworks!

And the icing on the cake for the castle trip was the Royal Mile shopping. DS6 was so happy with his purchase! I lost the tag and am not sure which Tartan he picked.

We had tea at the Witchery and then went through Cockburn Street (which @Shmebulock can tell me how to say).

14 Likes

Will I do instead?

“C-oh-burn”

Love the kilt!

More scones and cream, I assume?

7 Likes

I do think you’re getting confused between tea & fizz tho- afternoon tea comes in a teapot not a :champagne:. Easy mistake to make i know.

3 Likes