The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Disney did a great job making Genie+ simple and easy to understand. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Itā€™s easy if you are a computer. :joy:

4 Likes

Okay, you all are the best @Jeff_AZ @mikejs78 @DWJoe but Iā€™m thoroughly confused now on whatā€™s the right answer.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll defer to @Jeff_AZ on this one. :crazy_face:

This is the one rule of Genie+ that always throws me for a loop.

3 Likes

I hear tax accountants do OK as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That begs the question - whatā€™s more complicated - Genie+, or the U.S. Tax Code?

9 Likes

@jtaulbee Bolding the relevant section from post 1 that applies in this example. Which means you can book your 2nd LL 2 hours after park open of your 1st LLā€¦ irrespective of where the 2nd LL is located.

So all else being equal, itā€™s better when hopping to book your 1st LL in the park with the earlier opening time.

6 Likes

The italicized selection below the bold seems to contradict that though. This is why this particular issue confuses me.

@Jeff_AZ - if AK opens at 7:30 and DHS opens at 8:30, and I book Navi for noon and I want my second LL to be MFSR - at what time can I book MFSR? 9:30 or 10:30?

4 Likes

I think this italics section refers to tapping in and booking your second.

7 AM book LL 1 for Dinosaur for 8.
8 AM tap into Dinosaur and book LL 2 for MFSR for 3:30.
10 AM Canā€™t book because LL 2 is at HS which opened at 8:30.
10:30 AM Book LL 3.

2 Likes

9:30.

The italicized text only comes into play if you are able to ride your first LL ride and get a second LL both before park open of your hopping park. In theory, the 2-hour from park open rule could apply to more than just your 1st, 2nd, etc. LL if there was enough time between various park openings.

6 Likes

Correct. This all came up because originally we thought the 2-hour-from-park-opening rule was fixed to your 1st LL. Then when people started doing more than one LL early in the morning, we realized it was attached to your latest LL.

5 Likes

Thank goodness this is the answer. I thought I had been telling people wrong :joy:

5 Likes

It says something when someone like me, who has been researching all things Genie+ for months, was confused by this.

7 Likes

Yes it says Disney couldnā€™t give a shiny shite if users understand it or get any benefit from it as long as they are ponying up the cash. How could they possibly have come up with something this complicated?!

5 Likes

As someone who writes software I can guess. Some Product manager came up with the rule - 2 hours after your last LL or 2 hours after park opening. The software engineers were then left to build it and had to figure out the corner cases.

There are many, many software engineers in my field who just think about the solution to a problem without considering how that solution will affect the user. Thatā€™s usually how stuff like this happens.

7 Likes

Which is exactly why it needs to be industry standard practice for the software engineers/programmers/coders to actually get out and use the software they are developing in the real world and not rely on minimum wage ā€œtestersā€ to find the issues with the software.

5 Likes

Good morning everyone- not sure if this has been reported. But for those of you who are doing GOTG preview, and have and additional Epcot pass along with whatever park reservation you have that day, you may have trouble booking LL at parks before 2pm.
Today Iā€™m at HS and went to book my 10:30 LL and although several times were available it kept booking me for 2 PM or later. I went to guest experience and she explained to me that because I have two Park reservations today the system was getting confused and not letting me book anything before 2 PM at Hollywood studios because it thinks Iā€™m at Epcot and not able to book anything until after 2 PM because that is when park hopping happens. Just to be aware that itā€™s an issue that they know about and they will fix it to you if you go to a blue umbrella she very kindly gave me an any time pass for the one that I was trying to book .

4 Likes

Sorry to bother you again - did the ā€œpreviewā€ APR ever actually show up in your MDE/app?

8 days out but the preview APR hasnā€™t shown up yet

2 Likes

Yes it did

2 Likes

I checked out of this conversation several months ago thinking it didnā€™t apply to me since we didnā€™t have a trip on the books. Now we have two trips booked for this year! GRR! Is there a comprehensive resource with the latest Genie+ rules and how to maximize them?

When I last was tuned in, it was in the early days when you could get a new LL after you tapped in at the first tap point and then another one after you tapped in at the second tap point for rides with two tap points. Iā€™m pretty sure that was a bug that would get noticed and fixed, yes?

4 Likes