The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Do we know much yet about how cancellations work under new system? Has @SteveBloom been testing this? Suppose I’m hopping to MK in afternoon, and I do this:

7am - book LL1 for PP (200-300 return window)
11am (2h after MK open on a 9am day) - book LL2 for BTMR (330-430 return window, say)

Now suppose at 1105am I realize I won’t get to MK until 4pm, so I will miss LL1. If it were last week, I know I could cancel LL1 and immediately rebook PP (for current return window, say 400-500).

Can I still do that? Or would I lose LL1 if I canceled it?

1 Like

It should not take a PhD to book and effectively use Genie+/LL. I’m having a hard time keeping up. The casual Disney goer will never figure this out.

16 Likes

That’s an understatement!
I say the following just for impact and with the caveat that I am bad at a great many things. Three things I am fantastic at: math, strategy and logic. And I spent many days absorbing this forum before my trip. And I woke up each morning the month before my trip before 7:00 just to test some things out. Despite the success I had as I’ve noted in my posts, I still had some difficulty and found it frustrating. Oh, and I also spent just over $500 for a family of four between the four days of Genie + and various ILLs.
I want to stress I still had a GREAT trip. But I did have your same thought multiple times as well as feeling horrible at the idea of families for whom Disney is a real financial reach already and cannot afford to spend that extra money.

11 Likes

I am OK with that. And to use it casually you don’t need to figure it out. If it won’t let you book, it will tell you when you can. So a casual user just needs to know to try to get another G+ whenever they check into a ride and when it reaches the time that G+ tells you.

Using G+ knowledge will help you maximize the use of it, but not necessary. Also, in the near future, TP app will be able to tell you what to do.

2 Likes

Where exactly does it show this?

1 Like

I think this is what @shawthorne44 is referring too:

2 Likes

OK I was going to say I haven’t seen anywhere in the Genie system where it tells you when you are eligible.

2 Likes

When you get a LL I’m pretty sure it tells you directly on the LL reservation when you will next be eligible, using the 2 hour rule. Fastpass / MaxPass did that. But I’ve never gotten a LL so I’m not sure!

1 Like

Here is my Pirates LL which is still showing for some reason and all the T&C on the provided link.

2 Likes

Ha! I guess that’s a no then.

1 Like

Yeah this product really is shit. I cannot believe a company as large as this whose major differentiator from the competition is technology would put out a product a poor as this. I haven’t put it in my trip report yet bc I’m just so dumbfounded.

5 Likes

Pretend I did a hug, not a heart. This situation is not one to be liked!!

1 Like

Waiting as patiently as I can for this. I am itching to prepare my December touring plans.

4 Likes

I saw some screens shots from the first days of G+. It seemed to only pop up when you were within the 2-hour window. And then only when you tried to another one. It said something like “You will be eligible to make another Genie Reservation at 11:46 am.” So, basically an error message saying why you couldn’t make the reservation, but nicely.

2 Likes

It doesn’t but if you try to book and you aren’t eligible, it will say you will next be eligible at X time. So you can see it that way. Of course, that doesn’t take into account using the LL you have, which will bump that up.

1 Like

We’re still on target to have this functionality in the next couple of weeks. Disney changed the G+ redemption rules on Wednesday, so I’m updating the code for that this weekend.

11 Likes

I’m not sure how TP will ever tell you what next Genie + to get. My experience this past week was that after the initial round of LL were sold out (which happened quite early), LLs would repopulate (sometimes at the extra drop times previously noted on this thread, sometimes not) at absolutely random times throughout the day - if I refreshed my G+ page constantly for a few minutes (between five and fifteen minutes) and they would be for random return times and would be gone in a minute or two (sometimes in seconds) if you didn’t grab them.
Oh, I forgot another tip in prior posts. If you know what G+ ride or ILL you want, go to your tip board and edit selections so nothing but that one is checked and it will be at the top of your tip board screen so when you refresh, you don’t have to then scroll to it each time (also for some weird reason, if you click on a ride to get more info, when you go back to the tip board, it will be on top - so you can do it that way too).

2 Likes

Everyone was so frustrated that Disney didn’t explain the G+ rules. Then someone pointed out that they’d never explained the FPP rules either, and this allowed them to quietly change the rules. But, a month is a lot quicker than than I would have thought.

3 Likes

How are people making their TP right now?

My trip is 12/19-12/24 so not sure the updates will be ready for me by then. And in the days leading up to the trip I have to organize packing AND Christmas (oh, and work?!?) so I don’t think I will have time to make a bunch of TPs. I usually spend hours happily tweaking my plans but haven’t been able to figure out how to do that now.

1 Like

In the past TP would tell you which FPPs should be your priority. I’m guessing it will do the same based on your selections. Just like FPP, the recommendation may not be available when you are try to book. Genie+ is not so good for my OCD planning brain.

4 Likes