The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Nope! I just like to look at the tip board while drinking my tea in the morning! Better than reading the news!

4 Likes

I think we should all clipboard this and just repost it every time someone has a question. This makes the most sense out of everything.

10 Likes

Can you e

Can you explain this for me? Thanks

1 Like

If you are park hopping, Genie knows you can’t make a LL reservation in the second park (ie, any park you don’t have a park reservation for) until 2pm. So even if Genie is distributing LL return times for, say 9am to non-hoppers, it will automatically issue you a 2-3pm LL (or later if enough hoppers have claimed those before you) if it’s in a park you plan to hop to.

(If the attraction is already distributing times after 2pm to non-hopping guests, there’s no difference for hoppers.)

4 Likes

Thanks. I thought someone also commented about 1pm trick.

1 Like

Sharing here. The question was when will G+ and ILL be available to include when making a Touring Plan.

6 Likes

Yeah but Tom’s article seems to suggest that 3 and 2 should be switched.
Alternatively, try to get another LL if it’s been 2 hours since you got or used your last one.

2 Likes

They’re interchangeable but I put 2 first because it’s the simpler rule. Tap in, get a LL. For the 2-hour rule, there are “exceptions, quid pro quos …”

3 Likes

We watched a couple of YouTubers (forget their names…one was JoJo something) that did a challenge. One of them used G+, and the other did not. They both rope-dropped together and spend the morning to see who could get more done. The one who did NOT use G+ was, admittedly, pushing his pace, but was very smart about his decisions as to what to ride, whereas the other guy was led somewhat by what G+ was available.

After a few hours, they linked back up to see who did more. The one with G+ did 5 rides, and the one without did 7. However, the one with G+ was more relaxed, and actually stopped to watch a calvacade, etc.

The “test” was really to see if G+ was worth it if you wanted to use it for the morning, and then leave in the afternoon. The consensus was no, it isn’t…but if you were planning to stay all day, the results could be different.

One thing that was interesting was that while the posted wait times were inflated somewhat, the one without G+ would get in the standby line for a ride, and the G+ guy would get a LL…but when you add the time he had to “wait” for his window to the full waiting time, the total advantage wasn’t as good as it seemed it should have been. (They did say that obviously if parks were significantly more crowded, that could be quite different.)

They were also noting which rides had a “full” LL…meaning, the next available slot for a given ride when they got in standby was quite far enough out to presume that they had given out full LL availability for that ride during the standby waiting time period.

The standby guy noted that the waits in standby were DEFINITELY slower when the LL was fully used (he was comparing to days without LL).

There were a few tips thrown in the videos worth noting, in either case.

1. Using single rider line on Smuggler’s Run made the ride almost a walk-on compared to a 60 minute wait. So if you don’t mind being split up, it is DEFINITELY a good way to save time.

2. Having ETPE was definitely an advantage over those who didn’t. They made it work without, but it was potentially possibly to knock out 2-3 rides before the rest of the park guests were let in.

3. You can actually tap into your LL 5 minutes BEFORE the time listed. So if you get a LL for, say, 11:00, it is worth tapping in at 10:55 so that you can start to book your next LL even sooner.

8 Likes

Oh, one more observation they made…at least for MMRR, they counted how many people were let in from the LL versus standby at the merge point, it was overwhelmingly from the LL. He observed only 8 people from standby being let in, with the rest LL, when entering pre-show the first time. And when it was his turn, only 5 people were let in from Standby versus the rest from LL. So, this definitely indicates for the paid ILL case, at least, they are sending a great deal many more slots to LL than Standby, which means Standby is significantly slowed down. They didn’t do a similar comparison at other non-ILL rides, however.

5 Likes

Looks like it dropped down today?
I should’ve checked ROTR prices but they’ve sold out.
I’m sure somebody is monitoring these.

2 Likes

I wonder if it depends on how many are in the LL compared to the Stand by? When I was in my Remy BG line I saw the LL line but they were being held back. I don’t know when they were merged in? It obviously happened sometime before and after I saw them. I do know that the stand by line was moving very slowly compared to how it moved when I was in it for my squeak peek. The S. Peek line constantly moved, it was GREAT. The speed at which it moved caused me to wonder why they needed a virtual line for the ride at all.

3 Likes

One thing I was thinking about for MK in particular where the G+ times aren’t too far in the future but usually too far to be immediate. Using G+, get a reservation for a ride, and if G+ arrival time is more than 5 minutes in the future when arrive at the ride, get in the standby line then use G+ reservation when get off the ride. But, then I like re-rides and dislike walking.

6 Likes

I think in general, that’s a good strategy even if you are getting in line for a DIFFERENT ride. In this way, you are in line “twice”. Once in Standby for ride X, and simultaneously “in line” for Ride Y due to the G+LL.

MK seems to be the park where using the LL is most effective and easy to do. The other parks, with so many fewer rides, makes it trickier to use a LL as efficiently.

3 Likes

In general, FP-type systems don’t provide much benefit to those who don’t mind waiting in lines (well, obviously, but keep reading) compared to those who don’t mind waiting but prefer to not be physically in a line. Those who’d rather be shopping, watching a cavalcade, taking pictures of a castle.

Believe it or not, some people would rather hustle and get in line than have to kill time waiting around for their reservation time to get up. It makes them feel more productive. (I think @ryan1 maybe one of these people.)

Touring Plans has said they are planning to do systematic counts of this, so hopefully we’ll see the results soon.

If you find someone, link it! I did an extensive search last week and couldn’t find it on any of the usual blogs or forums.

I’m going to assume the max price of $15 will be used daily unless and until they increase the cap.

6 Likes

I watched them too and it was very helpful! The Youtubers are JoJo’s World & Kyle Pallo, the seem to video alot together.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. That’s them. Thanks.

2 Likes

It seems a very pointless comparison designed to create a false narrative and a click bait headline!?

firstly tested for “2 to 3 hours”…
secondly the guy didn’t use genie+ as intended at all.

the guy with Genie + DID ride SDD the guy without didnt… thats a major deviation.
as is staying to watch a cavalcade.

he also chose to stand around and kill time while waiting for his next ll instead of riding something else while waiting.

he then chose not to go on RnR which could have done etc etc…

but its still a good watch as he is good at explaining and showing the app. just the conclusion seems odd.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a challenge about getting the same things done, it was a challenge to see if getting G+ just for the morning makes sense, and the metric they were using was how many rides you could get through.

Then, how they toured…one without G+ and one with…gave great insight into how G+ impacts the day. The guy with G+ was, I felt, being realistic with how he allowed G+ to guide his day. He chose to ride MMRR first thing using Standby, for example, while waiting for his first G+. And rather than hop into a Standby line, he chose to watch a calvacade because he only had a small wait for his next G+LL time. He could have jumped in standby, but it would have delayed when he used his G+LL, and therefore how soon he could have booked another one…as it was, he was having trouble finding times for rides that were coming up soon.

So, for me, it wasn’t a pointless comparison…it was one of the most useful comparisons I’ve seen done so far. It did show that one advantage G+ offers, for those who want it, is an opportunity for a bit more relaxed touring style. Yes, you don’t necessarily get through as many rides (at least, not early in the day…but, as they stated, if you were staying all day, it probably would then become advantageous), but it allowed him to be a bit more relaxed with his time. That’s definitely worth something.

The other guy (Kyle) got through more with careful planning and decision making, but he was all go-go-go about it, and never had a chance to actually relax. For some, that might be okay, for others not so much.

Now…I’d love them to do this again with an all-day challenge instead, though. The one part that seemed a bit unrealistic was someone choosing to buy G+ for just the morning hours.

7 Likes

their headline was " Genie+ & Individual Lightning Lane IS NOT WORTH IT In The Morning At Hollywood Studios"

and their results did not show that!

the guy with G+ ‘lost’ by two rides… but chose not to go one one ride he had ll for and chose not to go on rides but instead stand around and chat.
IF he had gone on rides instead of chatting to people he met and recording editorial segments he WOULD have ridden the same AND watched a cavalcade.

The result really is G+ isnt worth it if you compare it only on number of rides(not quality) and if you plan on standing around chatting and dont bother using your ll for RnRC. and base it on an arbitrary timescale.

its a nonsense conclusion designed to get clicks.

the actual video itself is good information and well made and shows some interesting comparisons.

1 Like