The Force Family Strikes Back: A Trip Report

:heart_eyes:Thanks. I was worried I was losing my mind.

3 Likes

This is not necessarily proof that you havenā€™t lost your mind.
Just that you were able to recall one random fact.

4 Likes

:shushing_face:Iā€™m trying to appear normal.

3 Likes

Youā€™re carrying it off nicely!

3 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

This was a sad graduation day for my family. :pensive:

1 Like

From the news this morning

The problems showed how small disruptions can snowball as airlines seek to recover from the pandemic. Southwest said the disruptions began with bad weather and air traffic control issues in Florida early in the weekend. But then they continued, ultimately leading to more than 2,000 canceled flights that left passengers stranded and desperately seeking help.Kelly said the problems in Florida hit Southwest particularly hard because about half of its planes go through the state.

Whoa. That does make a huge impact and would explain why it looked like SW was more heavily impacted by the (initial) weather issues than other carriers. I had not idea that nearly half of their planes go through Florida; that may be something for them to look at? IDK.

Also from the same article:

Some leading conservatives claimed the disruptions were caused by pilots protesting against Southwest imposing a coronavirus vaccine mandate. There was no evidence that was the case and the airline, pilots union and the government all pushed back against the claims. ā€œTo be clear: None of the information from Southwest, its pilots union, or the FAA indicates that this weekendā€™s cancellations were related to vaccine mandates,ā€ the Federal Aviation Administration wrote in a tweet Monday evening.

You were right to chalk it up to rumor @Jeff_AZ I think it was an easy one for anyone to buy into given the current conditions and vaccine concerns (NOT OPENING UP A DEBATE HERE AT ALL)

10 Likes

Somehow thatā€™s even worseā€¦ :woman_facepalming:t3: Oy.

3 Likes

Youā€™ve lived up to your user slogan on this one. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

I agree completely.

4 Likes

Well full transparency I 100% bought into and got my feathers ruffled that someone might use the vaccine thing that way. So I felt it important to circle back and say - I was wrong to buy into it. And Iā€™m ā€œgladā€ thatā€™s not it but thatā€™s also a reasonably easy fix vs flight schedules that take half of an airline through an area with volatile weather on a daily basis.

7 Likes

Thanks for doing the report @Jeff_AZ . I appreciate seeing a similarly-aged family doing the same things we do with the same reactions from the kids. Helps assure us that our experience is ā€œnormalā€. I also appreciate your ever-sunny disposition no matter what comes about.

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting back on this! It is a bit of a relief for me, as annoying as the flight delays are regardless of reason. Hopefully SW will get their s*** together soon.

3 Likes

and everyone else because although they seem to be the worst of it now, no airline seems to be immune to the current ā€œcrisisā€

2 Likes

I vaguely remember the title change. Itā€™s been a while!

4 Likes

Am I remembering correctly that the change took place in the middle of a thread about titles?

3 Likes

I think so.

4 Likes

It has. But I feel vindicated since other people remember too (so Iā€™m not delusional).

3 Likes

At leastā€¦not about that. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I will graciously accept my other delusions. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes