The Eleventh Time's the Charm (Trip Report 5/29/21-6/5)

In short, our son requires a catheter to pee because he had his lowermost vertebrae removed after cancer treatment. I thought about removing that before posting here but decided to be lazy. C BM is his bowel management stuff which is also a result of his treatment. All that is why we feel it is fair to make use of the DAS. scheduling our day is not easy and the DAS takes a lot of stress away for us.

9 Likes

Ok I’ve decided this trip report wouldn’t be complete without a running picture or two. If anyone has thought about running a 5K or something longer, I highly encourage you to do it. The running community is amazing. Everyone is in it together. It is not a competition. I love it.

ETA: I placed 18th out of 22 in my age-gender group. So I’ll emphasize again that running these races is fun even if you’re not a great runner. I loved every minute of it. Even when the “little old ladies” were passing me!

16 Likes

Friday was the day I’ll always wish I brought my ponchos to Tom Sawyer Island! :joy::joy::joy: Other than the Meltdown on Main Street (great name, btw) your day seemed to go much smoother. I wish we had been doing literally anything else when the rain started. The day would have been so much better for us. Oh well! It was memorable regardless.

4 Likes

I’ll do Day 8 later when I can. And that will wrap up my report

2 Likes

In my part of the world things are pretty much back to normal. I’m used to it since I’ve been back at the office now for a month or so and no masks at all. It took me a few weeks but I don’t think about it anymore. It’s very weird. DS4 is in high risk category but there’s not much I can do about it. Coworkers neighbors, everyone seems like things are normal again. And compared to a year ago the risk is very low, but what about Delta? What about the next variant. I think I’m the only one in my circles that thinks about it. :frowning: I’m just betting that being vaccinated will prevent me from bringing it home and giving it to my son. But in august DS6 goes back to school and there will be no masks. I guess at some point we will just have to find out if DS4 can fight covid or not. :frowning:

6 Likes

:pensive::pray:t3:

2 Likes

We already know he is a Fighter, and has his family Team to fight with him :heart:

5 Likes

Yes I think the word that best describes him is tenacious. Which on a day to day basis can be infuriating because he can be so strong willed. But in times of crisis it is a gift.

4 Likes

I love this photo!

6 Likes

Definitely one of my top 5

Congratulations on the race.

I can confirm from my own personal experience how wonderful and welcoming the running community is. It is something special for everyone to come together around. It is even more special when we see trip reports last the one you did for Dopey 2020 that are in support of a good cause. The every mile dedication to one person who donated to your cause was something special to read.

Up here in Canada we are a little behind the US in bringing live events back, but I am hopefu we can get back to in-person races soon.

In the meantime, I will fight with all the other runners for those coveted bibs for the runDisney races and see if we can have a liner meetup at MW.

3 Likes

Great pics, beautiful family. I really like the pic that is the Mickey balloon shadow!

1 Like

DAY 8: SATURDAY JUNE 5th

A Last Hurrah in the Magic Kingdom and Chef Mickey’s

Notes: attractions/meals in left column with notes: RS=rider swap DAS=Disability Access Service (#) running count; specific times are from photo timestamps; A is DS6, C is DS4, L is DD2 (I’m J and DW is R)

Sat Jun 5 Sat Jun 5
(630ish) Got up around 630ish, morning routine, finished packing, took bags down to bell services, out the door walking to MK around 730ish
7:52 Inside MK (Mickey & Friends @ Train Station)
PPF (2) 8:05 Walked onto PPF, got DAS return for 7DMT
Pooh (2) 8:13 Walked onto Pooh
Barnstormer (2) 8:27 Walked onto Barnstormer twice
Dumbo (2) 8:43 Walked onto Dumbo twice
Little Mermaid (3) 8:53 Walked onto Little Mermaid
7MDT (3) DAS 9:07 Everyone rode 7DMT, C cath, long snack break outside Pinocchio Village Haus, J ran to get DAS return for iasw
Philharmagic 9:42 Watched PhilharMagic
10:03 Got Mickey Bars and Dole Whip, watched Tinkerbell cavalcade outside Liberty Tree Tavern
Country Bear Jamboree (2) 10:25 Watched Country Bear Jamboree
10:36 Country Bears outside on balcony
iasw (2) DAS 10:51 Riding iasw
11:18 Leaving MK while waving to Pooh and Friends at the train station balcony
11:25 RACL rode monorail to CR while J walked to CR bell services to return stroller
Chef Mickey’s 11:42 Seated at Chef Mickey’s, Mickey at 11:42, Donald at 11:46, Daisy at 11:47, Donald at 11:58, Mickey at 11:59, Goofy at 12:01, Donald at 12:16, Daisy at 12:20, Goofy at 12:28, Pluto at 12:31, C cath
(1ish) Bought some souvenirs at the gift shops on the main concourse (L got a beautiful birthstone necklace), then boarded monorail and rode around Seven Seas Lagoon to kill time, deflated L’s Mickey balloon and packed
1:45 Met @Jeff_AZ! Waiting for DME at front of BLT, boarded at 2:07 and at MCO around 245ish
3:06 Riding terminal train at MCO, sitting at gate 122 at 3:45 eating McDonald’s for early dinner, C cath
4:50 Boarded SWA #1852 on Boeing 737-800, family boarding, gate-checked umbrella stroller, J sat w/ AC and R w/ L, left gate around 5:10
5:29 Wheels up! (scheduled 5:15)
6:43 Landed at DAL (scheduled 6:33) and arrived at gate 2 at 6:48 (scheduled 6:36), C cath
7:13 Meltdown Mania at DAL baggage claim
(730ish) Driving home from DAL

20210605-1105-06IMG_5738

14 Likes

I’ve been laughing about this picture for like 10 minutes straight now. I mean, they are just done at this point, look at them!

14 Likes

This would be a perfect picture for you to recreate every time you go to WDW. It would be amazing to see them grow up with this pose year after year…and of course have a Mickey bar.

8 Likes

Woo hoo! I spy myself in a couple of those pics!

5 Likes

Congratulations on your race!

2 Likes

Lol, great way to end the trip

5 Likes

What a view!

1 Like

Gorgeous pictures. Will have to try the zoom thing next time.

1 Like