The Disney Dish Thread

I agree that an explanation or answer would be best but outside of the world of WDW fans, this is pretty much a nothing burger. I can see how he might have higher priorities.

If this was a Disney reporter then an explanation would be warranted. This was one off lifestyle piece for the WSJ that was about how going to WDW changed his attitude towards WDW from a negative to a positive

3 Likes

I disagree since it’s questioning journalistic integrity.

But good enough. I’d like an explanation and you seem okay without one. And that’s okay! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with you. I am not bothered by embellishment in a fluff piece that was not intended to be journalistic. It’s lifestyle, not even really a travel piece.

But I would be interested in a response merely out of curiosity!

3 Likes

I’m bothered by it because most of the world doesn’t know enough about Disney World to recognize that this probably didn’t happen. They read the piece and come away with the impression that Disney is a money-grubbing corporation, and they believe this is what happens to everyone who visits.

7 Likes

The guy was just looking for an excuse to expense his family vacation. :rofl:

13 Likes

IMG_2050

8 Likes

This is what I was thinking also. That there was a fundamental misunderstanding about the tip. Maybe they thought gratuity is included. Maybe the host stand (front desk) thought they could be international and not familiar with tipping. I think a lot could be going on here. I don’t believe the story as written though. There are definitely discrepancies and embellishments IMO.

Aren’t we all!

4 Likes

Search tells me this is only the third time this particular type of Main Street vehicle has ever been mentioned here by name. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I assumed it was a typo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

(only half joking)

1 Like

??

idk-shrug

3 Likes

I’ve experienced multiple cast members say things playfully like “Mickey always gets his share” or “Mickey appreciates it” and so forth. A first time visitor, especially an exhausted one after a full day in the parks, could easily misinterpret this as sincere IMHO.

I do see a plausible scenario for this. I’ve never stayed at a Four Seasons, but I’ve experienced other similar high end hotels where the desk staff mysteriously knows who I am and my name without skipping a beat. (Facial recognition? Online research?)

Second, if the bill was a room charge then of course they know exactly who he is. I could see the restaurant manager informing the desk staff, who then without much extra effort could be on alert for whenever he returns to the property.

Is this tacky? Yes. Am I grasping at straws? Yeah, totally. Is it fun to speculate? Kind of :koala:

4 Likes

Ok!

1 Like

Our company occasionally has articles published in major papers (far more often very niche trade publications).

We have definitely had edits made and published to what we wrote that changed the meaning. In our cases, it was clearly done by someone who wasn’t a subject matter expert and was trying to make it more readable. We’ve asked for corrections and let it slide, depending on the severity. Maybe this happened and the author didn’t see it as a big deal?

I’ve had to provide support for our numbers to WSJ fact-checkers and found them to be quite thorough. This isn’t something that I personally would have thought to question if I wasn’t a big Disney fan though.

6 Likes

I would think he’d want to set the record straight as well, no matter how fluffy the article.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Oh, I knew what it was. I was just having fun with a play on words.

3 Likes

I appreciate you posting this so I didn’t have to look up which Main Street vehicle a jitney was. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Another follow-up to this whole WSJ article thread that sort of bothers me - this is all being construed as a “WDW” issue - yet evidence (if indeed this is accurate) appears that this all happened at a non-Disney owned resort. It seems like that should be more clear as well.

I am a fan, obviously, I am on this site. But I am by no means a Disney apologist - I just like it when the proper party takes their lumps for poor decisions/actions.

8 Likes

Otherwise known as that giant rolling machine that no one on main street sees even as it is headed straight for them :grimacing:

The jitney drivers have nerves of steel.

5 Likes

Folks who want to read the article, your friendly librarian has you covered.

Happily Paying a Mouse’s Ransom; Going to Disney World made me feel like a sucker. Then, reluctantly, I felt the magic, too.

Wall Street Journal (Online)
New York, N.Y.**. 21 June 2024.

Abstract

None available.

Full Text

" About Face " is a column about how someone changed their mind.

Last spring, as my wife and I planned a family pilgrimage to Walt Disney World, a part of me felt like a sucker. I love my children and want them to have memories of a happy childhood, but to travel to central Florida only to spend precious vacation hours waiting in line to ride a roller coaster or to see an animatronic pirate felt like a shakedown. To please my children, our consumerist society demanded that I pay a ransom to a Mouse. But by the end of our visit, I’d have a very different view of Disney.

We dedicated our first day to EPCOT, the “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.” I had been to EPCOT once as a boy, in the mid-1980s, soon after it was built, and remembered how futuristic it had seemed then: the signage styled in the same font as the NASA logo, the avant-garde architecture that looked like Stanley Kubrick’s set designs for “2001.” As we wandered EPCOT’s variously named worlds—Celebration, Discovery, Nature, Showcase—it was a display of 20th-century American maximalism. Except EPCOT was no longer the future; it was the future as history, a time capsule of where we once thought we were going.

Though many of the attractions have aged badly, EPCOT was built during a period of optimism, when visionaries like Walt Disney believed that hard work and imagination could build a bridge to the utopia of tomorrow. Yes, it all felt a little ridiculous, naive, even kitschy. But it was a grand vision, boldly executed.

After hours in the park, I found myself sitting beside its man-made lagoon with my children, sharing a ten-dollar churro and reading aloud details of EPCOT’s founding from a Wikipedia entry. I suddenly felt irrational pride about it, the way perhaps a French citizen feels about Versailles and the idea that his countrymen were crazy enough to execute such an extravagant vision. In centuries to come, I could imagine visitors wandering EPCOT’s ruins as they wondered what it was like to live in an age when people built such things.

The next morning, we woke up early. This would be the kid’s first day at the Magic Kingdom, the apotheosis of Disney. We had our itinerary planned to the minute to avoid lines. When I arrived at breakfast, an uninvited guest had joined our table. Mickey was mugging for photos with my family. After I insisted that we wrap up the photos, Mickey made a display of trying to fight me (he gestured for me to put up my dukes) and then he blew bon voyage kisses at my wife.

In the Magic Kingdom we rode every attraction we could. Depending on their location in the park, the Disney cast members donned different uniforms. On Main Street U.S.A., it was an old-fashioned polka dot dress for the women and trousers with suspenders for the men. These were the outfits that Lillian and Walt Disney had worn on their first date nearly a century before. On our way home that night, exhausted, my wife and I tried to remember what we wore on our first date. We couldn’t and agreed it was remarkable that Walt and Lillian had realized their vision with such fidelity to their own story.

As we shuttled the children up to their rooms, the receptionist stopped me. He asked how our stay was going. I told him how much we were enjoying it, but he quickly interrupted me with a question. It was about that morning’s breakfast. He noticed we hadn’t added a gratuity for the performer. Would I care to leave a little extra?

I reached into my pocket and, for the umpteenth time that day, happily handed over my credit card. “Of course,” I said, and paid the Mouse his well-earned due.

Elliot Ackerman is a novelist, memoirist and Marine veteran who served five tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

4 Likes