The Disney Dish Thread

Haha yes he was like, “what’s the name of the one with the briefcases??”

I feel like most anglophiles in the US are familiar with Deal or No Deal now thanks to Meghan Markle.

4 Likes

I had no idea Meghan Markle was on Deal or No Deal until now.

3 Likes

Joining this 8m late- actually popped into the forum to see if you were around @mel as you’ve not been on chat- 800 replies later I’m at the end.
Think the only thing Meghan was known for on tv was Suits in U.K.

But was hoping there’d be more starcruiser feedback from Hank & Jim- did I miss that somewhere?

2 Likes

There is a thread:

1 Like

Also, a trip report picks it up here:

2 Likes

Thanks- I’d seen the pre trip thread, but enjoyed the trip report- looks like you guys had mostly the same cast we did.
Would love to hear Len’s thoughts on if it’s changed much, esp the level of immersiveness (is that a word?) with back story etc. We were slightly disappointed that it wasn’t easy to “be” our characters after ds18 spent ages on the details.

3 Likes

We’re going to talk about the trip on an upcoming episode. It’s just been a lot of news lately that drives the show towards an hour in length.

9 Likes

I LOVE when I see the podcast is a long one! An hour-long episode doesn’t deter me from listening ever!

6 Likes

I second this. I hear a lot of podcast hosts say something to the effect of “guess I should let you get back to your day” at around that 45-60 minute mark. I always want to tell them to keep going, I can pause and come back if I need to, don’t worry about taking up too much of my time

6 Likes

For me a one-hour episode is half an hour cause I am too ADD to listen at anything slower than 1.5x, and my standard these days is 2x. :flushed: :rofl:

4 Likes

Podcasters also have to balance content (longer the episodes, they have to find more and more content to have the same number of episodes) and advertising.

Many listeners are put off by extra long episodes, so advertisers want podcasts to stick to a relatively consistent length, so the audience stays stable. A podcast that’s normally an hour long going to 30 minutes or 90 minutes, can definitely impact the listener base. I know podcasts over an hour (Podcast the Ride is always long, and sometimes very long, for example) definitely fall to the bottom of my priority list. Even though I listen to most podcast episodes over several sessions, I don’t like having my backlog build. So I hold them until I’ve burned through everything else. An extra long episode with a guest or topic I’m not thrilled about is more likely to be skipped.

Another way to think of it is that (for example) a show that is normally an hour sells 2 commercial breaks is screwing itself by having 90 minute episodes (because that’s really worth 3 commercial breaks).

8 Likes

I follow much of your listening to pods. Once a pod hits the 90 min mark, I bump it back and listen to the shorter ones first. Sometimes all my other sources (I follow and listen to several Disney related pods) have covered the topic in depth and I just mark as read to get it off my list. I don’t mind the interviews but one’s that hit an hour mark as less appealing to me as say, a 60 minute podcast that covers a few topics with a bonus guest call in (or something to that effect).

I do also follow the advertisers thought process. I think 1 hour is like a standard. I think of tv shows. They are generally 30 mins or one hour.

1 Like

I’m a 1.5-2X listener also. I never listen at 1x speed for any podcast or audiobook. I will also fast forward parts of podcasts if I have no interest.

1 Like

Oh I wanted to remark on this week’s show

First, EXCELLENT topic. AKL is one of my faves (shocked I’m sure) and I loved hearing some of the history I hadn’t heard before.

Second - what the heck was up with Len’s sound?? I had to turn my treble all the way down and my bass all the way up to be able to (barely) tolerate it. I am hoping it was a one-off because he’s traveling or something. I can’t do that every week!

4 Likes

Yeah Len must have been recording on a different mic (his phone? Laptop?) rather than his usual equipment.

It was a great episode otherwise!

1 Like

I’m listening to it now. It’s ok on my ear bud but I can hear this feedback/echo-ey sound in the background that does have a higher pitch to it. I can definitely hear the difference in feed between Len and Jim. I can tell when Len’s mic is broadcasting even if he’s not speaking and Jim is. Jim sounds like he is in an acoustically controlled environment. I can definitely hear a difference in the background noise at times when it appears Len turns off his “mic”. I don’t know anything about recording and podcasts and all the technical stuff. But I hear the difference.

1 Like

Yes! I forgot to comment. Usually I listen on headphones but was driving Monday so thought it was because of that.

Also really enjoyed the AKL stuff♥️

2 Likes

After this week’s episode, I think the sound issues are probably caused by all the voice modulators that are apparently popular in his neighborhood. Weird.

1 Like

Great! Totally understand there’s been a few other things going on recently.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed the episode today with the discussion of the “celebrity of the day” back when HS first opened. I will go look for 1988 pre-opening handprints and headshots by Mama Melrose.

2 Likes