The Disney Dish Thread

Oh true.

:wink:
I gotcha. Playin it cool. Keepin it on the DL. Your secret is safe with me!

5 Likes

A couple of topics today:

1. Apparently the Memorial Day opening of GotG was an accidental leak and may not be accurate?
  2. Jim and Len discussed the 24-hour “One More Disney Day” event in 2012 when Magic Kingdom and Disneyland were open for a full 24-hours.

Did anyone go to the “One More Disney Day” event?

I did not attend, but do recall all the hype and discussions about it. I even recall all the chaos that ensued with the under-estimating of guests, people in their pajamas in the park. It was something I wish I could have attended.

If I am not mistaken, there was a WDW Today podcast on it. Or maybe I was just dreaming of Scopa.

2 Likes

As long as it’s open for July! I will be gutted now if it isn’t.

1 Like

There were several of these events at WDW MK around 2014/15/16?

Bunches of people went from this (or earlier versions of this) forum.

There was a scavenger hunt game developed for it and everything. It was fun to play from home even if you couldn’t be there.

2 Likes

Linking this in-depth discussion of the latest episode for those who missed it:

2 Likes

(whistles nonchalantly)

4 Likes

That is when I first joined and was planning my first trip and thought, “wow these people are in deep. Sounds like fun”.

Little did I know.

4 Likes

Shit I completely blocked this out when planning for my super short, supposed to be “resort mostly” trip in July. Thought we could skip Epcot. This is not skippable. Busy calculating the additional cost of park hoppers…

2 Likes

wut_cat

2 Likes

Now we are getting some highbrow commentary around here!!! :wink:

2 Likes

So happy to have this thread here! Love Disney Dish. Just finished the most recent episode (Star Wars Hotel).

I appreciated @len’s take that he does, in fact, need to provide context as to value. So many other people are saying “Well, you have to decide if it is worth it to you…”

And I get that is ultimately true, but I need someone who has seen it to tell me if it is A) Worth it at any price; B) worth it in lieu of something that is similarly priced; and C) worth it for the type of person I am.

I really appreciated the in depth review and the play-by-play. At this point, I am not sure it fits my profile for the type of person I am, or in lieu of a similarly priced vacation.

We are about to spend a Year of Disney with 5 or 6 trips planned for the next year starting in June, so we will have plenty of Disney on our plates.

But well done @len, thanks for a great review!

10 Likes

I went to all three: 2012, 2014, and 2015.

The 2012 one was on Leap Day. It was on a Wednesday. The weather was absolutely perfect. Really only hard-core Disney fans knew about it. There was a big crowd right at opening, but most everyone seemed to be there for the special merchandise. Once you got off Main Street the park was practically deserted before about 9:00 (this was true the other times as well). After midnight, it was mostly Disney and Universal cast. Lots of bounding, some near-costumes, dance parties, and everyone having a really good time. I was there with a few local friends and we stuck it out until 6:00AM.

A couple with whom I would later make friends after they moved to Orlando in 2013 actually made it to both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland in the same day. They announced their plans on Twitter and got interviewed by media outlets both in Orlando and Los Angeles. They even got a good ribbing from Seth Meyers on “Weekend Update.”

The events in 2014 and 2015 were on the Friday before Memorial Day, and the 2014 one was where I first heard the phrase “One More Disney Day.” That year I met up with a bunch of Unforum™ (chat) regulars, some of whom were out to ride all the rides and see all the shows and character greetings.

2015 was when we had the big Forum photo scavenger hunt. That was one hell of a time. I will say the fact that the Magic Kingdom was still dry in those days did little to impede our consumption of Beverages. Ah, those happy days before bag check…

7 Likes

2015 me would never have envisioned 2022 me being on this forum :rofl:

2015 me did immediately wish I could participate in a 24 hour event.

4 Likes

On this week’s episode, Len revealed that they are booking a group “cruise” on the Galactic Starcruiser in “early” 2023 with Hank Lonely. Anyone interested in going?

My family is tentatively planning to go in 2023, but probably not the dates Len is going. It would definitely kick it up a notch to go during the group cruise!

7 Likes

That’s the only way I could see myself doing it. I do not know enough to make it fun by myself.

4 Likes

I had to add, I loved this joke Len made on yesterday’s episode (I’ll paraphrase):

“I once uttered the words ‘gluten free pizza’ in the presence of my Italian grandmother. She crossed herself and looked away from me and muttered something in her unintelligible Sicilian dialect.”

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

That made me laugh!

I was recently out for pizza with my sister who got a cauliflower crust and you know? It was really delicious!

2 Likes

There is nothing delicious about albino broccoli.

4 Likes

We are really wanting to go :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:. I’m going to try to make it happen if only they would post the dates.

1 Like