The Case for Not Rope Dropping MK

This is pretty much us. I’d rather be out really late than up early.

This. I’m okay to find quiet spaces, but DH doesn’t think he’ll ever go again after our last trip.

2 Likes

This was my August trip, except it was HS and I ate dinner at Coronado Springs. 10/10 would recommend.

I am a night owl. I really wish Disney sold after 4pm tickets for everyone, as they do with the convention tickets. I’ve been to Disney enough that I don’t need to see and ride everything. I’m just here for the vibes, and a big part of enjoying those vibes involve going about my day in a leisurely manner (and then ending that day on the roof of Destino tower with a drink in my hand).

6 Likes

As you’re looking at Swiss Family Robinson, to the left and right along the fence line - which is behind some planters - is a great spot. Also Cinderella’s Wishing Well - down the left path as you’re looking at the castle. Both are near busy spots but tucked back and often overlooked. Upstairs at CHH is also good as is Tortuga Tavern which isn’t open but which seating area is. Slight AC there too.

As I get older I am finding I need these quiet spots more and more. People are just so peoply

5 Likes

The only time that we have not rope dropped at any park was our last trip, which we only had after 1pm tickets for EPCOT. Before heading into EPCOT, we visited the different resorts to look at the Easter eggs at the different resorts and had an enjoyable morning.

5 Likes

This was a minor part of the episode, but the Chris mentioned roaming characters at the carrousel and Dumbo during morning hours… was that just for Cool Kids Summer?

3 Likes

I think I have decided I like being in the park for rope drop but I very much dislike rope dropping a Tier 1 ride at rope drop. I hate the stress and the feeling the need to encourage my kids to power walk to start the day.

The last time I RD MK I headed for Space and it just isn’t fun for me. I told myself then that the next time I did RD at MK I’d prioritize all the rides other than Space/7D/etc and just enjoy the early morning emptiness and LL the big stuff.

9 Likes

I feel like all of my MK visits for the last 10 years or so have been during either After Hours, EEH, or Party nights. I honestly don’t remember the last time I rope dropped there, but I know I’ve rope dropped all of the other parks. For some reason, I seem to prefer being in MK at night and typically enter in the afternoon and stay till closing on nights when the park is open later (most likely because most of my visits tend to be in the hotter months). I think I may even have purchased an after 4 convention ticket once and attended on a regular park day that had a later closing time.

3 Likes

I’m reading all these responses and wonder if so many don’t RD MK why it is always so busy when I am doing it. :wink:
Really though, I hope I one day achieve the level of WDW visitor that I don’t feel like I need to experience All The Things to get my money’s worth. I can’t imagine not RDing - but I also love mornings and love getting those first few hours accomplished.
It is threads like this that really point to our niche group.

6 Likes

Because those who don’t know better are there with you :wink:

4 Likes

Wooooow

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sentence

3 Likes

It is funny, Len talked about “doing everything” at Magic Kingdom and that at some point in the day there is not enough time to do it all. Although there are always times when I will do more, such as taking friends on a first/maybe only trip, I would never plan to “ do it all”. If I book LLs, I may take my time in the morning and not worry about rope drop. I did my last trip without LLs and with plans to see reopened attractions and visit attractions I rarely do. I arrived for early entry and was leaving haunted mansion at 10am (my 6th attraction). My big mistake was not ordering sleepy hollow breakfast early. I ended up sitting in an empty Pecos Bills eating Banana-Caramel Beignets with a Honey-Lavender Cold Brew from Golden Oak Outpost. Not my finest moment …

7 Likes

Agree for MK – there’s too much to cram into one day. Plus not every ride there is a must-do. I tend to ride BTMRR, TBA (if I’m ok getting wet), Tron, SM, and then a selection of others as I have time. PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress are favorites.

5 Likes

But…“all the things” includes more than just riding the rides. :grin:

6 Likes

Even with rope-dropping and say…a midnight closure, it is still near impossible to “do it all”. That said, you still should rope-drop MK whenever you go if you’re someone who comes once a year or less. The pass holders and locals who go regularly can get away with getting in the park later.

2 Likes

Actually I need a lot of sleep, lol. I like to be in bed by 10, 10:30 at the latest.

Exactly

That’s because I think you have infinite energy at the parks sometimes! But also, being on ET helps. Since I already lose an hour it’s like waking up EXTRA early.
I wish I could rope drop sometimes.

4 Likes

If I don’t feel like rope dropping, I’ll go to another park (although we usually RD those too). There’s just so much more that you can accomplish at MK before the hordes arrive. And even if you aren’t trying to get on as many rides at possible, the park will generally never be more pleasant than it is in those first couple of hours.

As someone who hates mornings more than Garfield hates Mondays, the fact that I rope drop as often as I do means there must be something genuinely magical about the experience.

11 Likes

We usually rope drop but have significantly changed what time we arrive at park entrance. We used to arrive with the first bus, ie around 7:20-7:25 and would rope drop Seven Dwarves Mine Train. Nowadays we arrive an hour later ie around 8:20-8:25, and rope droo Winnie the Pooh or Buzz. When we decide not to rooe drop we will arrive just after park opening.
Our typical park day is to get to parks early morning, leave for a midday break (1-4pm) return to parks in afternoon and then leave around 7:30 for dinner and rest.
We almost always park hop because we can do our favorite rides (using LLs) more times during a trip by park hopping.

7 Likes

#Truth

6 Likes

We love rope drop! Our preference is to avoid the top tier rides (usually easily done by buying LLMP or LLSP) and enjoying low crowds and more relaxed vibes at our favorite Tier 2s. It helps that we are usually arriving from overseas with a bit of jet lag, so are up early anyways.

I suspect this may change as the kids grow older and more attached to sleeping in?

We’ve also had some great MK afternoons/evenings when hopping or when squeezing it into arrival day - zombie stacking works great there (as did regular stacking, or even double grabbing under the previous system). Finishing the night with HEA doesn’t ever get old. On rope drop days, we tend to have a midday break to make sure we’re refreshed enough to enjoy the evening hours - MK at midday can get overwhelming and I’m perfectly happy to head out again after a successful rope drop and early lunch/late breakfast.

6 Likes