Tell me about WL

Thanks for the info on the bunk room. Our DD sleeps in a twin, and I think she would prefer sleeping in a bunk alone to sleeping in a queen with me or her brother. I know our DS will adore the bunks - so looking forward to his excitement with it.

Thanks for the detailed info on the boat - you are probably right about the ride to MK being similar in length to the mono from CR to MK.

It is a bummer about reasonable 5 person rooms because we were thinking of bringing a friend for our DD16, but it won’t work at WL. Congrats on your new addition!! :tada:

My DH and I will be going to AP in 2016 during our adults only 10th anniversary trip, and we are really looking forward to eating there then.

I like the sound of cozy! Sounds like a great way to get away from the sensory overload that the parks can be. Thanks for you input! And have fun when you return to the world!

1 Like

I love WL! I stayed CL because I got what I thought was a good deal. If you are able to stay CL I would recommend it 100%. Would stay there in a heartbeat if I got a good deal.

Pros:
Boat to MK- but if there is heavy fog or bad weather they do not run
Boat also increases your dinning options
Good value in comparison to the monorail resorts
The convenience store has a good selection of supplies.
The grounds are sooo pretty. The pool is not huge but they carry the theme well through the whole hotel

Cons:
There were times during non-peak times that you shared a bus with FW.
Small QS for such a large hotel
I tested the bunk bed in my room. I did not find it comfy but it might not bother the kids. Very stiff bed.

3 Likes

Was there in July. CS has the typical food. Can eat outdoors also very close to restaurant. Boat to Mk good but if you have ecv not all boats can take you. All in 1 building. Quiet except if neat wcc. Store good size. Sketch artist outside store does caricatures. Kids club on site. Chill out in rocking chairs around massive fireplace. Lots of hidden mickeys

@nightowl04 @ddennis @AllisonFamily @Plutosmypal @Jillspo @togadadof2 @Disneyconsigliere and other experienced WL Liners:

This is the only Deluxe we have not stayed in and I am dragging DS10 there the 1st week of Dec 2014 (he’ll be kicking and screaming “give me a torn up Poly over the resort that looks JUST LIKE MINNESOTA!”)

Question: I am booking club (trying to ease the pain on DS10) and like the looks of the larger size on the Deluxe rooms. But, the deluxe rooms look like they are on the 6th floor (lounge is on the 7th) and waaaaaay out on the ends. They are the niched rooms on the Touring plans room finder. We stay AKL club frequently and also end up on a different floor and well down one of the trails. But this is from absolutely the end of one of the arms to the backside of the building.

I even called about the Yosemite suite since it’s closer and larger. OUCH - $1280 per night. I love the kid, but not that much :wink:

1 Like

I can tell you this, I was very leery about staying at someplace called a lodge on my first trip with my husband (then boyfriend). It was his first trip ever though so I wanted him to feel included in the planning. (New relationship lol)

Anyway, it’s now my favorite place. Only other deluxe I would stay in is AKL and am waiting until I can afford the high ticket/animal view there and for son to be a little older. Right now transportation to MK takes precedent.

Only other deluxe I have stayed in is Boardwalk and I like this better – especially at Christmas.

Besides, first week of December is the week we are going, so it will be extra great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MagicMN I wish that I could give you more information about CL, but we have not done CL before. We usually request a woods view in the wing towards MK in order to try to get a MK view. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on it, if you end up staying.

I understand that living there would make it different, but the fact that it is similar to the north woods is one reason we love it. The one place that we vacation besides WDW is our cabin in North Central Minnesota.

Really hope that you end up loving it there. Will be waiting on your thoughts.

Where is the cabin? Our lake place is in Park Rapids. I am excited to try WL - and I know DS10 will end up loving it too. I finally figured out the rooms / CL and deluxe rooms face straight out towards the pool, which should be both close to food and a good view. I think I’d be happier with something near the pool but, trying to make it special.

I will report back once we give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

WL was good. On are last day we ate breakfast at WC. It was not busy. We were on 6 and above WL and didn’t hear noisy. It was easy to go MK by boat. Christmas decorations were good.

I was completely shocked when I read Park Rapids. That is also where our cabin is located! We are on Long Lake towards the south end by Hubbard. What lake are you on?

1 Like

@AllisonFamily WOW! We are also on Long Lake off of Hwy 6, on the west side. Technically called Chippewa Loop. How long have you been going to Long Lake? We are at the far north end of the dirt road where the Taco House was long ago. We are there every fourth of July and always do the boat parade. My first boyfriend (and first kiss) is the older brother of the Notch family who own New Frontier Resort (we are still friends) and I use to cruise Main Street in the summer. SMALL WORLD as they say! We bought the cabin in about 1980 after we spent a few summers at TImberlane on the north end and decided we loved it there.

I put a little yellow star twhere we are. Are you in the “stump bay”. Anyone who says they haven’t hit one, is a liar :smile: In my youth we would jump off the damn and then float under the road with all the freaky huge fish in that culvert…argh!

Now you know my son’s argument, Wilderness Lodge is like being at the cabin,

1 Like

That is incredible. We are on Chippewa Loop! I put a red mark where our cabin is located. We are more toward the south end of the loop.

My grandfather built the original cabin in the 50’s with a friend of his. My mother and her brothers and sisters spent every summer there growing up. They did the same with my sister and I. Since then many of my aunts, uncles and cousins have bought as well. We have one right next door to the original cabin. Our cabin name is “Allison Wonderland.” If you see any cabins with the last name “Appel” that is my family and my mothers maiden name. There are at least 7. 5 of them on Chippewa loop.

I know the stump bay well and yes I have hit one. We also did the jumping off the damn and going under the road. That was back before the fenced in the top of it. Many great memories.

Down by your cabin we are friends with the Murray’s, they are from Iowa.

We also spend almost all of our 4th’s up there. Not sure if we will next summer because we may do WDW at that time, but have not finalized yet.

Still cannot believe that in all of the lakes up there that someone on here would be on the same lake, let alone the same road. Amazing!

I KNOW YOUR CABIN!!! Who could miss such a perfect name. And I know the Appel cabins. I grew up with TJ Horsager and Tom Freeman, both on your end of the road. I know the Murray cabin too.

I spent my summer’s there also - racing dirt bikes & 3 wheelers up and down the road. We never named our cabin(s). We are the Wishart’s, and we’ve paved the drive between the two cabins running down to the lake. People mistake it for a boat launch. We have a large 6 stall garage on the woods side of the road. AS you head north on Chippewa we would be the 4th and 3rd cabin before the final, 90 degree left corner where the road turns back to hwy 6. I am 42 years old and if you spent summers there, and are about the same age, maybe we were at a keg party in the woods with the local boys way back in the day.

Goose bumps - what are the chances? I love this! Have a wonderful weekend and someday we will see you at WDW AND on Long Lake!!!

I find this to be absolutely incredible! I know both TJ and Tommy (as I remember them being called 20 years ago). I remember very well their motorcycles and 3 wheelers. One of my cousins actually got in a wreck on one of their motorcycles. I am 36 almost 37 so I was a little younger and mainly remember my cousins hanging out with them. I believe that TJ owns the cabin that is two doors to the north of our cabin now.

I know exactly where your cabin is and know most of the ones on the loop like the back of my hand. When I was younger we would spend almost a month up there every summer. Been hard to go for more than 8-10 days at a time as of late, but hope to be up there more when the kids are a little older.

I also would cruise main street and wait for when the locals would head out of town to some public access and make a fire and have a keg. Some of the best times of my life.

I really hope that some day we can meet and share stories. The next time we are headed to either MN or WDW I will be sure to let you know.

Have a great weekend!

This made my day. I love it! TJ married Val Garden. I introduced my best friend to Val’s brother, Ryan. And I donated a kidney to Val and Ryan dad, Rodney, who was a school teacher in Park Rapids. TJ’s dad, Jerrry Horsager, introduced me to my ex-husband (who ended up being a freak, but no one knew that). Chippewa drive - if only those tree could talk :wink:

I am not sure how, but remember you have a friend on that road who also goes to WDW. At some point maybe that will come in handy!

1 Like

All together now:
It’s a small world after alllll
It’s a small world after allll
It’s a small world after alllll
It’s a small, small world. :smile:

By the way, you guys are totally making me want to take my Georgia kids to a lake cabin in MN for the summer, ha ha!

1 Like

@B_squared we’ve got plenty of room - come up for a visit. You’ll need to forgive our funny accents, plan to eat a lot of fresh caught walleye and just know the lake water never warms above 70 degrees (but nothing in there except the northern pike would kill you)!

Glad to hear so many positive things about WL. We booked it for our June trip and are excited to try it, and our first deluxe :slight_smile: We are Epcot junkies and would love to stay at YC or BC but the price difference is a little too much for us.

You are all going to kill me. After all your help I just found an Annual Pass discounted room (35% off) at Grand Flo. Ends up being the same $$ as rack rate at WL - no AP discounts available there. But I promise we will go over to WL to see the decorations!

Looking at it, Grand Flo rate is less than the room block rate through MEI travel for Reunion weekend that we have at BC. Wow - thank you Annual Pass :slight_smile:

3 Likes