Tell me about these Murphy beds

Ok… Doing two nights in oct for mnsshp… Dh,ds5,ds1.5 and my mom. Last year Baby slept in bed with mom and me, ds with dad… So this year think my 5’5 mom could fit on a Murphy bed? Or me?

Any resort ideas welcome too… Thinking maybe an AoA suite of not too pricey! We stayed at WL last year and loved being so close to mnsshp! Will be doing a pool half day and one day at AK as well! Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, no. Anyone larger than an average-sized 6 year old would be uncomfortable on the Murphy beds. My son was almost 7 and is tall for his age. He tried sleeping on the Murphey bed at POR the first night of our trip and was super cramped and uncomfortable. He ended up sleeping with his brother (age 10) in the queen bed after an hour of tossing and turning. We didn’t open the Murphy bed again after that. They really are quite small, and the mattress is very thin.

1 Like

Thank you @SallyEppcot that’s what I was worried about! Ok… Back to searching! Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m sure your youngest would be comfortable in it if he’s a fall-right-to-sleep little guy. Maybe you and your mom in one bed, DH and DS5 in the other bed and DS1.5 in his “special” bed. If you talk it up beforehand he might do really well there. My boys are huge (healthy, sturdy, tall huge) so I might be giving you the wrong impression.

I would love to get ds5 in the Murphy bed but he always likes to sleep with a parent on vacation… I know lucky us :wink: haha! Maybe bed rails on the Murphy bed for the baby? Will need to think this out…

1 Like

The AoA murphy bed is a double and so is the pull out. So, you can liken it in my opinion to when you get two double beds in a normal hotel. It was comfortable - but would be tight for two adults or a tall adult. I think one adult alone or with one small kid would be fine if they weren’t super tall. I’m 5’5" and would have been ok on my own on it for sure.

Your 5 year old may want to sleep in the murphy bed no matter what if like my kids and the other trip reports I’ve seen. It was way too “AWESOME” for my kids to sleep anywhere else - ds9 and dd7.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/10/08/disney-world-hotel-options-larger-families/ Might help with options.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s exactly the link I needed :slight_smile:

I have an average sized 10 year old and a large 6 year old who share the murphy bed at AoA. They LOVE it and wouldn’t be convinced to sleep anywhere else. But they do sleep in twin bunk beds at home, so their usual amount of space is comparable. I did not sleep in that bed, but I did lay down in it and thought the mattress was surprisingly comfortable (there is no box spring though.) My mother in law slept on the pullout sofa for the week and thought it was decent. We especially love the AoA suites for the 2 bathrooms and the kitchenette, plus the pool and theming are amazing for kids. And while the beds couldn’t be described as luxury, somehow we never notice after a long day of touring and playing in the pool!

2 Likes