Tell me about FOP and Dinosaur

Our first Disney ride was Navi River, followed up by FOP. I disagree that everything else will be a disappointment. We went on to ride almost every other ride in all the parks and enjoyed most of them. There were some that were a disappointment, but that had nothing to do with FOP (I’m looking at you Peter Pan!). There are so many different types of rides, themes, experiences, etc… Yes, FOP is breathtaking (and we went back to ride it again later in our trip), but as I’m planning this next trip, I don’t find myself trying to do it over and over again. I want to re-experience most of the other rides too.

2 Likes

Ok, I saw some other POV videos and I thought it looked like it moved up and down! I hate the stomach dropping feeling so both he and I might be yelling out the whole ride hahaha! We went to six flags a couple months ago to test out what we would ride. We didn’t really ride anything :rofl: Finally got up the nerve to ride a roller coaster that went 35mph. He screamed in fear the ENTIRE time and I felt like I couldn’t breath lol!! He wanted to go again afterwards, I didn’t, and we didn’t have time left anyway. So I’m not even sure I’ll enjoy SDMT or SDD, though I have FPP for them just in case. I did not sign either of us up for Space, BTM, EE, etc!!

1 Like

Thank you - I totally meant PW. You can tell how I’ve blocked that entire section of the park from my memory due to my less than stellar experience. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s really not like that. It’s very smooth and subtle. I find it’s best when you just go with it and really get into the idea you’re riding a flying creature.

3 Likes

I’ll do that! One other thing you might have a tip for…how many breaks do you plan on the day? We have a day we get there for a 9am FP and then leave around 4-5 for the day. I realized I only have ‘free time’ at meals and maybe 20-30 min every 3 hours or so. I figure shows are relaxing and kinda like down time…aka sit down time ha! Or will I regret it and want more free time to shop, etc? I hate to start dropping rides to get free time :sob::sob: But no idea if my family will even want more

1 Like

Ok that’s what I thought but wanted to double check for my upcoming trip. No worries- it happens to me all the time!

That just ruins it if you think they’re not real!

1 Like

I have been on Dinosaur countless times, but there is not a single ride picture where you can see my face. It absolutely terrifies me - I have no idea why I keep agreeing to go on it. DH finds it hilarious. On a few occasions, small children have asked their parents after the ride why that lady was “screaming the whole time”… DD5 has never been on it, I’m convinced she’d be scarred for life, although she’d probably love it… Anyway, that’s my excuse for not going on it for the foreseeable future! :blush:

4 Likes

I get motion sickness and am actually mostly terrified of heights, coasters, big drops, etc. I have to psych myself up for most things even when I know I like them. FOP doesn’t freak me out in the slightest. I think I feel safely held in place by the restraints AND the “drops” don’t feel extreme. In addition, my youngest son (8) is a COMPLETE wimp when it comes to rides and he loves FOP. He found Soarin’ terrifying and was nearly in tears on SDD. The first time we rode FOP I was really nervous about how he would react and he literally jumped off and was like “let’s go again!” (then I had to explain how stand-by lines work). He also likes Dinosaur…I’m thinking if it was the same ride format with a different theme he’d hate it, but since it’s dinosaurs he’s fine. As others have stated, it’s just VERY bumpy.

3 Likes

The only part of Dinosaur that makes me cringe is that it is extremely loud and high-pitched at one specific point in the ride. Other than that, I love all of the effects. My kids were finally going to ride it this year for the first time when we had FPs booked, and we had to miss out, as the ride went down at the very beginning of the day.

1 Like

DD8 LOVES extreme rides and loves dinosaurs in general, but she absolutely hated the volume of the ride and said it hurt her ears. The ride pic we have is of her trying to hold on and cover her ears at the same time. She refuses to go again unless we get her earplugs. Heck it hurt my ears and I have 50% hearing loss in my left ear.

3 Likes

Thanks for noting that, as I was wondering if holding hands would work. Like you, @jennie.king.81 we went to our local amusement park to test out what we’ll want to ride. We learned DS7 doesn’t love heights but enjoys them if he’s holding my or DH’s hand.

We also learned that the repeated drops in the viking ship ride made him vomit (after the ride, thankfully!) and that I no longer love that feeling either so now I’m figuring out which rides we’ll need to Rider Swap or split up our touring plan/Fast Passes. He and I are not interested in going upside down, unlike DH and DS11, but we’re both up for twisty, jerky coasters. So Dinosaur might work for him, but we’ll keep extra Boneyard time in mind as an option. And maybe preview on youtube. And pack ear plugs for all.