Talk to me about Victoria and Albert's please!

Hubby and I are going to V&A - Queen Victoria Room. My husband will literally eat anything. I am a little less adventurous and prefer to avoid seafood. Is it a fixed menu or will there be choices? Should I suck it up and just eat what is served? Or request no seafood for mine? Do I make that request ahead of time? My husband can’t drink, should I still get the wine pairing? Or will it be too much? I think I read something about a beef upgrade, is that always available (I love me some red meat!!!)? Basically, what pre-planning can I/should I do for this ridiculously expensive meal?! Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve eaten in the regular dining room and at the Chefs table. In the regular room, there is a choice between several items for each course. The Chefs table is a “set” menu, but you talk to the chef in advance to discuss likes, dislikes, etc. in our group of 6 we had a vegetarian and 3 different food allergies and all were taken in stride. The menu in the Q.V. room is similar to the Chefs table. We’re it me, I would call in advance just to check. My wife drinks no more than a sip and we got one pairing. There are quite a few pours, but they are “short” to go with each course. Over the course of almost 5 hours, it was no problem.

2 Likes

The Japanese wagu add on is amazing; it completely redefined what beef can be. It also comes at a steep price.

2 Likes

Have you bought a new outfit for the dinner? We are going to v and a at Christmas and I am trying to decide what to wear. We normally don’t go to any ‘dressy’ events so am reluctant to spend a lot on a cocktail dress which will sit in my wardrobe.

I’m going to wear my “wedding” dress. Not the dress I wore at my wedding, but the one I wear to everyone else’s.

1 Like

That sounds a good plan. We all have one of those dresses in the wardrobe-and you feel you have dressed up. Enjoy your dinner!

2 Likes

I get drunk pretty quickly and easily. But I didn’t when I had the wine pairing at V&A. They’re relatively short pours and they always served with food. You’re really doing it for the taste interaction between the food and the wine. I didn’t feel any alcoholic effect at all.

Personally I hated it — and I love beef. For me it almost spoilt the entire meal. I would definitely not have it again.

1 Like