Taking another look at DVC Ownership

Most times, yes.

1 Like

:frowning_face:

You could always buy a small resale contract just to establish membership and then buy your contract direct to get the larger discount. Then you could always sell the small one later for most likely a profit.

1 Like

By the time a resale goes through these incentives will be over.

1 Like

Oh yeah.

1 Like

Following up of the dvchelp site. Pete co-hosts the MyDVCPoints Newscast and this morning I was listening to the latest show. He said he expected 1,2,and 3 bedroom availability to decrease but studios might be available at 7 months.

2 Likes

Don’t sleep on the value of the extra year’s worth of points. I did a quick calculation and an extra 150 points basically is worth $.02 off per point on your contract, or $615. If you count the fact you didn’t have to pay dues on them, then these points are worth $1872. And if you rented them, they are worth $2,700.

3 Likes

You guys are all truly amazing! Thank you so much for helping me out with this and for all of the great advice! I so appreciate it! :heart: I hope I don’t wear out my welcome here.

2 Likes

I love talking about DVC!

3 Likes

You mentioned Bay Lake Tower as a possibility. This would be a good choice. There a bunch of contracts for sale $155 - $165 per point. This resort also has very low member fees (MF). As another poster stated the MF will end up costing you more that your initial purchase price over the life of the contract. Even my BWV contract that only has 20 years. I projected I will pay $48,750 in MF over 20 years and the purchase was $28,140.

One thing that really surprised me about Riviera is how high the dues are starting for a brand new tower style resort. 2022 dues are $8.38. Boardwalk is even cheaper at $8.08 and that resort opened decades ago. BLT is $7.08

2 Likes

I think so too since those studios were added to the existing association. Interestingly, Boulder Ridge and Cooper Creek have very similar point charts for studios and one-bedrooms even though they are different associations. I think for the same type resort they must try to be consistent.

2 Likes

Me too! I started looking at DVC in January and I feel hard into the DVC vortex!

3 Likes

I own AKL-Jambo

4 Likes

This would be resale, right? So, I would likely be excluded from booking at most of the newer resorts?

I did notice though (on the report linked by @PrincipalTinker above), that there was no increase in dues for Riviera from 2021 to 2022? Just an observation. Still high though.

Right now there is only one resort you are excluded from booking as a resale owner and that is Riviera.

Not unusual for new resorts not to see an increase. Remember that as was pointed out further up thread these high dues are due to two factors: the skyliner expense and the fact that the resort is stand-alone and doesn’t share operating costs with a hotel side.

2 Likes

My CC dues have not really changed since I bought but there is a pretty big difference in the CC and Riviera dues.

1 Like

Makes sense

1 Like

I think both CCV and BRV are somewhat under valued on the resale side. CCV is brand new and part of that great Wilderness Lodge Resort. There is a good room type mix and the point chart is favorable. Plus while the cabins are part of the point pool they are not as heavy a burden as the bungelos at the Poly.

1 Like

Another simple way to think of it, if you want to stay at Riviera you only have 3 options.

1. Buy Riviera direct
  2. Buy any resort direct
  3. Buy Riviera resale

Option 3 will be your cheapest, but then you are limited to only staying at Riviera. With options 1 & 2 you are not limited with using your points at any resort.

4 Likes

I can already sell my CC for a little more than what I paid for my contract.

It is funny but I was listening to a podcast yesterday that pointed out that out of the millions of points at CC 1/2 come from the cabins but that is not what people use their points to book.

4 Likes