SWGE Touring Plan weird pick by Overlords

I’m setting up a touring plan for DHS EEMH on Sept 30th. Amongst other rides, I have two Smugglers Run rides and two Star Tours rides. The overlords are picking the two Star Tours rides first, then the two Smugglers Run rides which is generating long waits for Smugglers run. If I manually move Smugglers Run to be first and evaluate I get the expected overall lower wait times. It generally makes sense to head to the big rides first at rope drop, so wondering why the Overlords are suggesting differently even if their own data doesn’t back it up. I don’t ignore the overlords lightly, so does anyone have an idea why this might be the case? Am I missing something? Even with me manually moving the sequence, if I select optimize, it goes back to Star Tours first.

will

I had some of the same weirdness. For my Sept 12th trip it told me to ride Alien Swirling Saucer before riding Smuggler’s Run.

I think until there is actual data you’ll need to manually configure your plans based on what you think will be best.

2 Likes

I believe the logic is that the ST queue will grow, but the MFSR will be a steady long wait. Until they have more data the TP is telling you to go to where it knows the shorter queue will be at that time. Anytime you “Optimize” TP will move the steps to their shortest expected wait times.

Angela & Fred did a crowd calendar discussion yesterday. The topic of optimize vs evaluate was discussed at length. I’m a “Make my own plan & Evaluate person”, but after listening to Fred speak about how much time you save with Optimize I may try it. I don’t like to criss-cross the park, but if it’s going to give me 2 - 4 hours more of park time, I’ll try it.

3 Likes

And since we don’t know how long the wait will be to get into the Land, you may not be able to rope drop Smuggler’s Run.

If you arrive at rope drop time (park opening), after 3 hours of EMH, you may be waiting another 3 hours to get in. Most insiders are stating, and restating, there will be a virtual queue. Your return time may be 3pm. (And that doesn’t guarantee you get in then, it depends on capacity in the Land itself).

So any TP will have to be re-optimised depending on the situation.

2 Likes

darkmite2: The weird part on wait times is for Star Tours it is posting an 11 minute wait whether it is the 1st/2nd ride or 3rd/4th ride and Smugglers Run has the shorter times earlier. Just weird the Overlords are not picking the best sequence even with their own data. I always start with Optimize (Overlord suggestion), then maybe tweak just a few things where I know my circumstances/preferences can’t be inputs into the optimizer. I don’t mind walking, so I set the walk speed to fast. Setting it to slow for you should help minimize walking.

Nickysyme: Eew, I was assuming I could get into SWGE right away based on being near the front of the EEMH rope drop crowd. Yes, that means probably getting up around 4am! Fully agree if I’m not there close to the front, I’ll be at a big disadvantage. I’m also assuming if there is a virtual queue you sign up in-person day-of. If it ends up being something like FPP in advance, that will change things too. Your points about there being variables we just don’t know about yet is well taken.

It is pretty weird having a touring plan that ENDS at 9am! :slight_smile: Getting into SWGE (hopefully) early, seeing the land and then getting out before it gets crazy. I truly hope enough folk are going to find it it hard to get up at 4am that it will be OK for the first hour or so. Probably wishful thinking. Nice part is after we’re done with SWGE, there are some predicted CL1 days at other parks. With my trip Sept 30th, will be paying attention to other peoples posts starting Sept 1st to see what I may need to change.

will

2 Likes

I didn’t realise you were meaning the EEMH when you said rope drop. I thought you meant 9am!

The virtual queue would be in person on the day. You would scan in and be given a time to come back.

1 Like

Any word on special treatment for Club Level stays regarding this? Like maybe the ability to get the “boarding pass” through Signature Services instead of having to show up in person?

Not that I’ve heard.

The only things I’ve heard, from a pretty reliable source IMO, is that the EEMH are the equivalent of the reservations they had at DL, and that a virtual queue system is planned.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of reservations!!!

1 Like

I guess their message is “you have a 3 hour head start, use it or lose it”!

So turn up during EEMH and you’re guaranteed to get in some time that day. Hopefully they’d open up a virtual queue as soon as Galaxy’s Edge reaches capacity.

Those queuing outside who don’t qualify for EEMH have to hope there are still time slots left in the virtual queue at normal park opening time.

It has all been so low key at DL. The optimist in me is hoping for the same at DW, but the realist in me says it’s gonna be a hot mess!

3 Likes

Have you heard if the virtual queue will be in place for the first 3 days before the EEMH start? We need to start driving home August 30th, so if we’re going to try it at all August 29th is our best bet.

Nicksymye:

OK on not being clear on which rope drop (6am vs 9am). If it wern’t for EEMH, I doubt I would even be considering going to SWGE! I feel sorry for the “offlanders” (off WDW property) who have no choice but 9am. Weird part is I booked this trip well before the SWGE opening date was even announced. The original purpose was for the last Illuminations and first Epcot Forever shows. You can imagine the interesting negotiation with my DW on bumping up the touring start time from 9am to 6am.

will

2 Likes

No one seems to know that yet.

Hopefully they will actually announce something in a week or so, when they see the real impact at DL. Probably after the first couple of weekends is my guess.

1 Like

By the way, back to the original topic (:slight_smile: and I was definitely part of the problem on it veering off course), in doing some fiddling with touring plans today, the “Optimize” button is now putting Smugglers Run at the beginning which is where I expected it to be.

will

1 Like