SWGE opening?

The Disney Dish keeps reporting Star Wars not opening until 12/21/19 based on construction, etc. Anyone have thoughts about the likelihood of this?

We are hoping to go with my parents the week after Thanksgiving next year, hopefully renting DVC (so dates will be locked in). We don’t want to be there Star Wars opening of at all possible.

Does anyone have thoughts about when we might hear an actual opening date?

I don’t think we’ll hear a definite date till next summer.

2 Likes

Ugh this is what I was afraid of! We want to book at the 11 month window & probably will have no clue what the opening date is by then.

1 Like

It’s tough!

1 Like

Everything I’m hearing is they’ll be lucky to be open late December. I’d be stunned if at this point they’d somehow bring in the schedule nearly a month. I’d say missing 12/21 is far more likely than bringing it in to where it would affect you materially - maybe in early December you might see some soft opens - maybe.

I’d probably book it without too much worry based on what we know today…

1 Like

If they’ve committed to “late fall” 2019 (which to me feels more like Nov than Dec, but I understand the technical nuance), is that something they are likely to walk back? Is there precedent?

1 Like

I think they are capable of calling anything from mid Oct to end of Dec ‘late autumn’. Oh fall, sorry!

3 Likes

Not sure if that date was more tongue in cheek because “late fall” could literally be the last day of fall. Progress seems to be going well but one never knows.

I’m hoping for early December. But not holding my breathe knowing disney.

3 Likes

12/22 is technically the first day of winter so 12/21 is by definition the end of late Fall. I have not heard anything optimistic about the progress in Florida though.

I know that. But they have opened things slated for a spring opening in mid-summer. Disney seasons aren’t like real world seasons!

Funny, when I saw the free dining bounce back dates it made me think November .

There is, actually. While not on the same scale Rivers of light was to originally start in “late summer” of 2016 (I think, could be wrong on the actual times on that. I just know it was supposed to be open when I was there, and it wasn’t. ). Nearly 8 months later did it finally debut.

3 Likes

Sorry there’s no firm answer to the op question. The next few years are definitely a bit woolly with planning predictions. On a similar note, has they’re even been a best guestimate on a year/season for the opening of the SW hotel?

I think it’s supposed to be open by 2021 for the anniversary. Now again, whether that happens is questionable. There’s going to be s lot of tech which will take time to get working properly.

2 Likes

My guess and purely a guess is that is won’t be the weekend of 12/20/19 because that is slated for the release of the final Star Wars episode.

No one really knows for sure. In some of the other forums the “best guess” is around Thanksgiving, but it’s just that - a guess. I’ll be going the 2nd week in Dec - a date chosen for reasons other than SWGE. I’m not sure if I want it to be open or not. Yes, it would be cool to see it as it may be another 3 or 4 years before I can get back again, but on the other hand, DHS will be unmanageable and all of WDW is likely to be more crowded than usual. Personally, if I was Disney management, I wouldn’t open it until Jan; the Holidays are always busy anyway, and a Jan opening would be a major draw to get people to come to WDW during a “historically slow” month…

3 Likes

This is what I am hearing & reading too. I will keep listening and hopefully will get a feel for it by January!

1 Like

I want to see Star Wars. But I have no desire to take my young kids into a madhouse for something they won’t be able to experience/ride/enjoy.

I cannot imagine the madness of opening SWGE during the Christmas season. I agree that postponing until after the new year makes SO much more sense.

There is every likelihood that, for the first few months after it opens, you will have a very long wait to even get into SW:GE unless you have an FP for one of the rides.

Whether they have a return time system, akin to WWOHP, or just a loooooong line, who knows? But it will make it hard to plan if you can’t get an FP or have small kids who won’t be able to ride. You may have to book one for them just so they can get in to the land. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is there any info about the predicted height requirements for the rides?