Surviving WDW (alone) with 3 Kids

I’ll give this some consideration. I’ve driven 4-5 hours with two kids under 3 by myself, but never all the way down to Disney. I hadn’t really been thinking about the driving being concerning, but I’ll think about this more if I do take them.

Very good points. I hadn’t considered the bathroom breaks. I was thinking of the pluses of having the help of one of the older girls (for example, if we stop for a QS, get to the table and realize we have no napkins or something, I could send the older one to get some (within eyesight), and not have to drag the two year old.

And, yeah, the two hand thing I was just saying yesterday when I was talking with someone about it and trying to figure out why going from 2 to 3 would be that much more difficult. I mean, I generally wear the two year old, but I see you’re point.

I would go alone with my son. But I’m an introvert that doesn’t play well with others. I don’t think I could do a big family vacation. If the girls really want to go, maybe their mom who doesn’t want to take them could ask the grandparents?

Thank you for the support! Yes, as you said, although we were going down at the same time and had planned to meet up at times, the original trips were planned to be somewhat independent. I’m just trying to figure out a way to still bring both the girls and not disappoint them. Just going along with what my parents do is still an option, maybe just trying to do one or two things on our own, though then I do still have the drive to think about.

It’s possible I may be able to convince the younger one that we’ll do something else and just bring the older one. As unsure as I am about bringing 3, I also would rather have someone else in the backseat with my son during the drive. Plus, he loves his cousins and would be so much happier with one of them along. I may be able to work out a deal to do some separate day trips with the younger one as a compromise, with the intention of doing a Disney trip with just her and my son when she’s older.

My aunt used to drive from Charlotte to Miami straight through with 3 under 5year olds. But they were all hers, so that makes a difference. Also, is the 9 year old almost 10 or just 9? And is she a mature 9 or a sullen pre-teen 9 that wants her own way? In short, will she be the little helper with her sibling and cousin or will she be demanding her way all the time? These are the questions that will help you decide what to do.

It’s only one day (and a drive), so that’s a bonus. Yes, potty breaks might be a challenge, but a 5 year old boy in the ladies room isn’t really a big deal, just a hassle for you. It would be worse if the 9 year old was a boy.

I would also get a double stroller, for the two younger ones. That way, you know where they are in the crowds. The 9 year old could be told to “help push” the stroller through the crowds, so you know where she is.

As for the rides, maybe leave out the rides that everyone can’t ride until the rest of the relatives get there.

If you don’t think you can do this, then don’t. It will be disappointing, but so will a crappy ride and vacation with the rest of the family teasing you that you should just vacation their way next time.

1 Like

Why I’m worried about your trip. I just drove from NJ - FL it is usually a 15-16 hour trip. It took me 25 hours this time traffic was bad in Delaware and Maryland 4 lanes going into 2 and just when we saw the FL state line in sight it got washed away. The rain was soooooooo bad I had to stop and when I was able to drive it was 20 - 30 mph.
So if you do drive please be careful. I don’t know you but I am worried for you.

1 Like

Thanks again everyone for your advice. My sister is going to go now, so at least I will have two adults. Otherwise, I had decided to only take the older niece and take the auto train.

We may still actually take the auto train back (but drive down).

3 Likes

Have you taken the AutoTrain before? We are doing our third trip on it…leaving on Saturday. Give a yell if you need any info about it!

1 Like

No, it’s not crazy at all. In December 2017 I took my 10-year-old daughter and a 20-month-old daughter. We did princess meet and greets, princess lunch at Akershus, pick a pearl at Epcot, etc. The only things we didn’t get to do were the more fun or adventurous rides like Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Seven dwarfs, Soarin and Test Track because my littlest princess was with us. However it wasn’t the end of the world because we had just been there in August 2017 for a full family trip. We stayed at Fairfield Marriott village and rented a car.

And then in April 2018 I took my seven-year-old son and 12-year-old son. That time we stayed at Pop Century and went without a car.

Both times I left the remaining kids with my husband.

I highly recommend it. Go for it!!