Surprise for grandma who is footing the bill?

My mother is taking my husband, and I and our four kids to Disney next year (October 2020). This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip as we are not Disney regulars. I’d love to surprise her with a couple of big surprises during our trip…any suggestions? Star Wars Guided Tour would be great (if they re-instate it by that time)…flowers delivered to her room? Ideas big or small welcome!

1 Like

First, as you and your mom plan the trip, listen carefully. Often what matters most to grandmas are little family related things.

Next, perhaps the pearl ceremony at Japan where she picks the oyster. This can be slow if several are waiting. The follow thru is important as we have several pearls around here somewhere . . .

Never seem to make it into a necklace or earrings.

Maybe the best thing is a memory book of your WDW photos from one of those on line places after you’re back home.

3 Likes

Since flowers will just sit in an empty room, take her to lunch or dinner at a place she’d like.

1 Like

Listening carefully…good word. You’re right, the little family things are big deals to her. She is happiest when she sees others (particularly grandkids!) happy.

1 Like

I had a cake delivered to our table during our first visit. We were at the Rose and Crown at Epcot but I think you can do that anywhere. I had chosen a design that I knew would please our guest of honor and had the cake say 1st visit. I warn you however that if you do this make some kind of plan. I had told nobody and half the party was in the bathroom when the cake arrived…b/c I had 3 very little kids. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Call me cynical, but I thought you had something much less charitable in mind based purely on the title of the thread!

Grandma: opens bill You spent $4,000 on WHAT?!

3 Likes

Lol, me too!

I personally think photos taken as a family in a photo book would be a great idea.

1 Like

Either make a lovely scrapbook of your Disney photos, or have them printed in a book from Shutterfly or one of those places. My Grandma loved that sort of thing. Pay for Memory Maker if she hasn’t already.

My mom is joining our family for our upcoming trip, and I booked Raglan Road thinking she’ll really enjoy it. Her eyes lit up when I told her about it, so I hope it lives up to her expectations. I suppose it’s harder to take her to a special meal when she’s planning the trip, but maybe you could book a nice place when she’s planned a cheap QS meal nearby.

Tours are a good idea. I don’t know what your mom is most interested in, but something like the MK classics tour would let you skip a bunch of lines. Depending on your group, EMM or DAH can lead to a more leisurely day overall.

I love this thread. Have an amazing trip!

1 Like

2 words: dessert party

1 Like

My perspective being the grandma, she wants to share those magical experiences not going every year.
I have dated Christmas ornaments from those previous trips.
Pictures of those magical memories so dated picture frames.
If you’re thinking bigger you could do Pandora.

2 Likes

I laughed out loud at your comment! I suppose that is exactly what it sounds like!

1 Like

Love the Christmas ornament idea, thanks!

I actually plan to book Raglan Road for the exact same reason! Sounds like our mom’s would get along! I hadn’t thought about paying for memory maker! That would go along so great with many of these other ideas!

1 Like

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the topic! Won’t the bill be a surprise enough?

1 Like

What about a Disney photo shoot with family photos?

2 Likes

The ideas of an album are great. Perhaps you could get purchase a PhotoPass Memory Maker for your party to help with having material for that and photos with everyone one them.

Also, check out http://www.disneyfloralandgifts.com they have stuff other than flowers that can be delivered to the room.

1 Like

I printed photos and put them in a Disney photo album for my parents after our June trip. My mom LOVED having actual photos that she could share with friends.