Staying off property?

True, particularly since at some point Off will be the only option. For example, 6 people and $200/day for lodging for all 6. That would be easy for off-site, but impossible for on-site.

1 Like

In our experience, there were three main factors in a WDW stay: lodging, tickets and food. This idea assumes that travel is a separate cost altogether.

For many years these three factors were about equal for our trips. If lodging were $200/ day for 6 people, the per person per day cost is $33.33. This is nowhere near a per person per day food cost. Tickets arenā€™t easy with all the different choices. We like park hoppers, so about $100 per person per day.

If we consider the three costs about equal, lodging now becomes $600/ day for 6 people, and those 6 people can have a moderate sit down meal each day, with park hopper tickets.

Disney costs have gone up. We used to save for about 3 years to afford 8 nights at a deluxe resort with 3 table service meals a day, and park hopper plus tickets.

It doesnā€™t have to be equal. A solo traveler will spend a lot more per person on lodging than 4 people, yet the solo traveler will probably spend about the same money per person in food. That is why I think a lodging question should be for the group per night.

1 Like

When we book something off site, we have typically used VRBO to find our house rental. There are so many options, so it is worth taking time to filter to your ideal price range, and then start eliminating based on what you see/prefer. Iā€™ll usually end up coming with about 10-15 options, and then narrow down with input from my wife and possibly kids as to what they like better.

Iā€™ve found that when listings saying it is 10 minutes from Disney or 15 minutes from Disney, they are almost ALWAYS wrong. Weā€™ve found that when they say that, it is usually more like 30 minutes. We donā€™t mind the longer drive, though, as annoying as it may be, when we love the house better.

Having a private pool and hot tub, for example, is pretty much a must when we stay off site. We donā€™t care as much about amenities outside of the home, such as a resort pool/waterslide/etc, when we have a private pool.

We can typically find a slew of options for less than $150/nightā€¦and for sure under $200/night, even after factoring in cleaning fees and pool heating fees, etc.

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!1!!11!eleventy

(deep gasping breath)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Oh my, that was a good one! A SuperFan give consideration to others? You, sir, are Americaā€™s Next Top Comedian! Good show!

2 Likes

This is why you read the reviews not the listing.

On the other hand, I often see how people inflate the time it takes to get to the parks as a way to shoot down offsite. We like staying at the Hilton near the convention center and the drive was 15 mins to all parks (except MK) despite being ā€œfarā€. I swear that at times it was even faster to go all the way to the convention center than trying to cross Disney Springs.

The lesson here is that in Orlando driving times are never what they seem. One wrong placed light , exit, or crowded intersection can mean way many more minutes despite being ā€œcloseā€ in distance.

1 Like

Yes. Exactly. Actually, what I usually do is look up the driving time myself. Usually with VRBO, you can narrow in to at least the neighborhood enough to map it out. This helps a lot.

And sometimes, despite the driving time, we could get to some of the parks faster than if we had stayed on site usually Disney transportation. (MK is probably the exception, since you are always forced to use the monorail or ferry.)

You are also right that some locations are better. We stayed in a couple places that were closer (not a house, but three-bedroom condos, etc), and so the drive time was better. We prefer the longer drive, though, and having the house with private pool. It really is individual preference at that point.

1 Like

Valid point for solo traveler.

I have been mulling over travelers under 9 years old. They can skew lodging, if thereā€™s enough of them. Ours have all aged out. Even out of free lodging as of next month.

1 Like

For one or two people, the savings to being off site will be negligable for the perks (there still are perks). But once you have a third person, or have two who would prefer their own rooms, the comfort has a value you canā€™t put a $ on.

3 Likes

For certain. When theyā€™re all under 8 they donā€™t even want their own bed. :grin:

1 Like

I was never a bed sharing mom. Can count in one hand with 8 kidsā€¦

Our first rental was 2003 with boys 1 and 3. They each had their own room, and DH and I had ours. I think it was $75 a night.

2 Likes

I was thinking more grandkids. Theyā€™re a hoot.

:grin:

eta: Iā€™m trying to recall what we paid for lodging all those trips at Deluxe resorts. I know we booked with discounts and even had money for food and souvenirs (:upside_down_face:) but that info isnā€™t in the old noggin any more. By 2008 we were exchanging into DVC.

1 Like