Staying at Old Key West

Hi all - I recently renewed my TP subscription and glad to be back. I went to Disney World many times as a child and twice in my 20s always staying on property. Hadn’t gone in many years and went in 2019 (first time with kids) and it was not a good trip for numerous reasons. I’m embarrassed to say I had a panic attack in the middle of the trip. My husband found a deal and we stayed off property at a rented house and while it was very cheap it was gross! Not very clean, beds were terrible, etc. Driving to MK was such a pain. Also should have thought through the fact that I’d be cooking a lot/driving around getting food. No on-site dining like I was used to. I thought May temps would be ok but this was end of May 2019 and a heat wave so almost 100 a few days. First vacation for us and DDs were 4 and 7. Lots of whining, crankiness and just not a good trip. I had done so much planning and it was just not what I expected. I didn’t realize how different it would be staying off property.
Fast forward two years - I feel like we’re in a much better place to have a good trip. DDs will be 6 and 9. We’re staying at OKW. Never been there before - what do you like about it? It looks like it has a very laid back vibe. I love Disney so much so looking forward to a better trip.

3 Likes

I love the main pool and the pool slide! Also has a play area right behind it with a kiddie pool - not sure the play area is open. I stayed there just for one night in October, but liked it a lot! Are you staying in a studio or a 1 bedroom? I believe it’s possible to walk from OKW to Saratoga and then from there to DS. Might be a little long, though.

Hi, we are staying in a one bedroom. I saw some pictures of the pool slide/main pool and it looks like fun!

2 Likes

Oh, that will be so nice! I think you’ll like it. The resort is big and spread out, but I like the vibe there.

Never stayed there, but we did really like Olivia’s. So much so that we are taking the kids there during our UOR trip…the only ADR at Disney for a trip dedicated to Universal instead.

Depending on your accommodation, I like that it feels like a HOME. We have stayed in 2BR and it’s nice for our family to have space to gather as well as space to be alone. The lanai is huge and a wonderful place for morning coffee especially. If you have a car you park directly outside of your unit. It’s very picturesque with the golf course and fountains everywhere. Incredibly laid back, quiet. A nice escape from the parks. In usual times the ferry to DS is a wonderful way to travel.

It is a huge resort, so it is important to consider making a request for a “neighborhood” that suits your needs. Being located between two bus stops can be nice for taking advantage of disney transport; bus service is good but the bus does make 5 or 6 stops before leaving the resort (yes, it’s huge). Also, no good option for QS - only Goode’s to Go which is meh and the Turtle Pond snack shack. If you like a good lounge, Gurgling Suitcase is good but quite small.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info. We will have a car so that’s good we can park right outside the unit. The menu at Olivia’s looked good so hoping to mobile order from there if we can. It’s a rather short trip of only 3 nights. Also have a dinner ADR at another resort so we will be able to drive there

1 Like

Also have to comment that I just love reading your trip reports and looking at your photos! I love AK too!

1 Like

if your home was designed by some weird nutcase :laughing:

Thank you!

We stayed at the resort 3/7-3/14, two bedroom villa. We were in the old turtle pond area and loved it. The main pool is great if you’re interested in the slide, quick service and other services close by. We did also spend some time at the old turtle pond quiet pool, it just depends on what you’re interested in. Our grandchildren loved the activity center, the staff there is wonderful. They made tie dye shirts, painted pottery, colored ducks for the large bathtub and just enjoyed doing other small coloring projects. This was not a park trip for us so we had plenty of time to enjoy the resort.

Thanks for the info! We only have one park day so we will be at the resort a lot.