Starting to plan for April 2021 trip

Well after two family trips in 2018 and 2019, and a bonus solo trip for myself in conjunction with the business trip last May, it’s hard to believe that it’s already time to start planning our next trip in 2021. Logistically, we have decided to wait until then for a number of reasons, and it seemed like a long time away. But as a new year hit, I realized that it was almost time to start thinking about our 2021 trip.

Our current thinking is that we will go during New England spring break, which is the third week of April. Since it’s only New England that has spring break that week, we found it to be fairly low crowds and enjoyable the last time we went that week in 2018. Our current thinking is a slightly longer trip than in the past, staying a full week from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. Well hopefully stay at our favorite resorts, either the Yacht or Beach club, still trying to decide that one. We prefer the Beach club slightly for atmosphere and being slightly closer to Epcot, But the Yacht club guarantees a balcony which we also love. Decisions, decisions.

it’s amazing to think that when we go back so much we’ll have been added since our last trip. Galaxy’s Edge, with both new rides, Mickey’s runaway railway, Ratatouille, and possibly guardians of the Galaxy and Tron, depending on when they open in 2021. Anyways, I’ll probably be back here more often as I start to plan out our trip and think about all the things that go into it. Our youngest son will be almost four by that time, and our oldest will be almost 11, making it a very different trip than our last two where we were dealing with diapers and naps schedules. I’m looking forward to the planning, and sharing it here.

6 Likes

Hi. I’m planning same week and resort! My kids will be 15 and 12. We haven’t been since 2018.

1 Like

Such a great week and time of year. Not too crowded, not too hot yet, not too wet. Honestly, I’ll go to Disney almost anytime, but that is my perfect week with kids.

2 Likes

I agree. It doesn’t boarder Easter either. We did a cruise that week and it was so enjoyable!

Yeah the exception to what I said above is if it falls on Easter week. Then the crowds that Disney are just insane. Almost Christmas level. But, as long as Easter doesn’t fall on one of the weekends, the New England April vacation is the perfect time to go. I think @PrincipalTinker agrees. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is a great time to go! I am pretty set on going down for a short trip that week too! I think I will use BWI points!

2 Likes

Yay! We will have to plan for a liner meet up, especially if we are all staying in the same area.

2 Likes

This is when we took our first trip a few years ago, fantastic time to go. Enjoy the planning.

While it will be different for sure with a 4 year, don’t forget that things you feel they may be out growing in the real world like naps and strollers, are still 100% in play in the Disney world. Even if he doesn’t use a stroller around home, unless you have a marathon training toddler, you’ll still want one at 4.

2 Likes

Good to see others planning their 2021 trips too. We’re planning to go in November for my daughters birthday. Hoping to be a able to do a week long trip with a split stay among two different Deluxe resorts. Thinking about Beach Club and AKL. But also toying with the idea of beach club and bay lake towers.

2 Likes

I had a thought as we plan April. The Star Wars race dates are April 15-21 (light and dark side- so WDW will be the 15-18?) .It will impact rooms and traffic on race days.

4 Likes

April 15-18 is spot-on. :smile:

Now you all have me looking at that week :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh, those are great days for the Dopey in Jan 2021 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Plan for now is arriving on the 18th and doing parks Monday - Friday. I don’t know how Star Wars race will effect this. How long to people typically stay after big races?

and I don’t know how I quoted @longwalk :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Traffic might be challenging on your arrival day? Most runners usually leave in a day or two?

Thanks! Would probably land around 12:00 and head to pool and to DS for dinner. I learned on last trip that kids can’t handle park on travel day. They just wanted to swim!

1 Like

Two years ago I departed on the Friday of the SW Half… Did not really run into any traffic issues… I’m thinking of arriving the afternoon of the 17th… How do the races impact the parks themselves?

1 Like

You will see runners with their medals (so cool) but April was my annual trip for years and I have not noticed a significant increase in crowds with the addition of the race. Last February we left WL the morning of the Princess and traffic was crazy but I think it is a morning issue.

1 Like