Starlight Safari at AKL

Has anyone done this? I’ve got this scheduled for myself, DS9, DNephew13 and my mom and I’m starting to second guess it. Worried I will be horribly disappointed, especially after having done the Wild Africa Trek last month. Looking to get some opinions from folks who have experienced it to see if it’s worth it.

I’m considering booking this for us and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We have 9 and 12 year olds and I’m guessing they’d like it. Would be looking to do the 10 PM slot on the first night of our trip.

Any input on if it’s worth it? From what I’ve read the tour is closer to 45 minutes than an actual hour.

We really enjoyed it. It’s included in my trip report (I’m Hoping this link works!)

Awesome, thank you!

I saw there was an 8:30 time slot too. We have a 6:50 ADR at Boma. Would the 8:30 be cutting it too close for walking over and checking in for the tour?

It might be cutting it too close, especially if they are late seating you. They ask you to check in 15 minutes a head of time so you’d need to be at Sanaa by 8:15 - and Boma is too good a meal to rush!

1 Like

I wasn’t all that impressed. There was way too much ambient light for night vision goggle (NVG) use. It was just a trip around the perimeter of the resort, and most of the time you didn’t need NVGs to see the animals. My wife thought it was ok, but not something she’d want to do again.

For my part, I’ve done a lot of work using night vision technology, so there was zero gee-whiz factor for me (I have the same problem with Test Track). My wife, on the other hand, thought it was neat. However, we had just done the Sense of Africa tour that morning (highly recommended!) and the Starlight Safari was pretty tame by comparison. Other people in our group seemed to really enjoy it.

We had a 9 and 13 year old with us and none of us had any experience with the night vision goggles so that may have added into our ‘wow’ experience.

I was in my 40’s the first time I ever did Mission Space. I’ve wanted to go to space since I was a kid, and getting spun up in a Disney centrifuge is the closest I’m likely to ever get. It was a very meaningful experience for me.

And my experience as a 48 year old man (and original Star Wars cultist) meeting Chewbacca in person, well, suffice it to say that I get where you’re coming from.

I definitely know where you’re coming from on the SW thing! We have the SWGT booked at DHS on 8/15 and that’s probably going to be one opf the highlights of my life :crazy_face: