Spring Break DC trip

Your itinerary sounds really good. Sometimes people tell me they’re going to only do monuments, or limit themselves to only one type of museum, and I encourage them to diversify some. You already have a lot of very different types of experiences planned.

Hi! We’re heading to DC Sunday. We just wrapped up a week at Orlando (I have a universal trip report). We spent a week at St Augustine and leave tomorrow to drive up to DC for a week (we’re taking two days to drive).

We did get tickets to the White House which were done through out congresswoman. We couldn’t control the date but they did inform us about 2 weeks out which is better than other folks. We also were able to make reservations for the Capital and the Washington Monument. Right now next week is pretty dead so we will get timed tickets as we need them. I don’t know if you can do that for March. We’re sticking with free things since Universal was so expensive. I’ve got a google doc that has basic info for each museum and the distance from our apt. Honestly we will likely choose items that are easy commutes and try not to get too exhausted. I’ll update next week about our experiences if that helps.

Thanks. Update how your trip goes and what you enjoyed the most.

I have noticed that tickets are pretty available for things right now but I think March will be to risky to try for same day things.

We didn’t even try for White House tour tickets, didn’t want to mess with it but will stop by the outside for pictures.

Haven’t heard anything back from my Congressman regarding Capital tours, I just booked through the Visitor Center as a backup. We may still hear from him once it gets closer but it is hard to plan around a uncertain date/time.

I agree with sticking to free things, only paid thing we have is Spy Museum. There is so many free things I decided to focus on them.

I hope you have a great time! Are you planning to take the metro? It’s definitely the easiest way to get to the Mall, and convenient to a lot of other places too. DH is on metro most days. What parking there used to be on the Mall has been cut down in recent years (so I hear–I never parked there). Definitely pay close attention to the weather b/c it’s been unseasonably warm but then today and tomorrow will be bitterly cold. Forecasts around here tend to be fairly reliable. I agree that timed tix would be easy to get now and not as easy to get over spring break times.

My wife and I visited DC in June of 2019 and had a great time.

There’s a DC Metro trip planner app that worked well for us so we didn’t get lost and helped immensely in figuring our way around. Even with the metro, you’ll do a lot of walking just getting from the nearest metro stop to where you’re going. We tried sticking to Metro as much as possible, but ended up having to Uber/Lyft several times to get to some of our timed tickets.

A phone recharger block was worth its weight in gold. With all the map apps, taking of pictures, and any phone-based interactive things at museums, you’ll eat through your battery in no time.

Know your group’s museum-touring tendencies… If you’re a glance-and-go, you can get through some fairly quickly. If you’re the type to read and look at ALL THE THINGS, you’ll spend 3 hours on half of a floor in one of the Smithsonians.

Spy museum took us 3 hours (9:30-12:45). It is (or was) very much geared toward a kiosk spy game thing. As such, the kiosks are where a lot of people will congregate around, so if you do the game, you’ll be standing around waiting your turn. My wife did the kiosk thing; I just took in the various exhibits.

If you do manage to get a tour through one of your congressmen/women, take that tour instead of the generic ticket office. They can get you into some areas not on the main tours. Some congressmen are better than others regarding responding/getting tours. You kind of have to figure out which ones are good ones. Also, that’s who you go through to get White House tour tickets. From my experience, you have a better chance getting in by going through a congressman who’s of the same party as the sitting President… Call it a weighted lottery.

2 Likes

I can weigh in with more detail but wanted to comment on two different things. The drive from National to the Navy Yards metro is not difficult. It woudl be better if you did it not during rush hours (morning or evening) but then again the advantage of that time is that traffic is moving so slowly you can figure out what lanes you need to be in! Even if you miss your exit to the Navy Yard, the next exit will get you there too across surface streets.

The Circular is fantastic and a great, cheap way to get around. Something else my parents always do is buy a “hop on hop off” tour as their way to get around. These go a few more places than the circular, but I think the Circular will get you where you need to go. The metro is not convieninet for touring the monuments.

I forgot to add, I’ve lived in DC or Arlington VA for 22 years! (Which is why I reference my parents)

1 Like

A few things to add from me as well, having lived in the DC area since 1998:

Metro is expensive. Consider how much it will cost for all members of your party added together for each trip. WMATA has a fare calculator on their website. I think people underestimate this in general.

When you are at the Capitol and Library of Congress, also stop at the Supreme Court.

I would think about geographic proximity of things to minimize travel time from here to there. For example, on the day you go to the White House and Wash monument, consider the African American museum, which is the closest to the White House, whereas the Holocaust is on the other side of the monument , but they are not near each other.

I’d recommend trying to add the Old Post Office Pavilion because there is a NPS tower in there which has nice views–better than from the Monument.

I’d also recommend varying things Wed/Thurs. Instead of 2 museums, perhaps doing one museum with the zoo, then one with the cemetery/pentagon memorial. Museums here are awesome, but I find most people can only take so much.

IMHO, the best place to visit in the area is not in DC: Mount Vernon.

Just a few thoughts. . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May want to check how much is open at Air and Space. There has been ongoing remodeling. Also be aware the Spy Museum is not free ( at least it wasn’t in the past). American History is huge. Can spend lots of time there.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I have checked into Metro pricing and have budgeted high I think. I also plan on using the Metro Bus and DC circular to help with this. I still think this will be the best way for us to get around the city.

I understand your concern on locations of things. I tried to group things together the best I could. I was not originally planning on Holocaust Museum and was just going to so the American History Museum that day. Holocaust got added last minute and have to try to fit it when my DS and DH (who both want to go) won’t mind missing something. They don’t want to miss African American Museum.

How hard is it to get tickets to African American Museum. I thought that one was pretty hard to get so I put it on Thursday along with Air and Space. That is the one day of our trip that I did not put in the Congress tour request I sent in to our Congressman. I sent that request in before I had finalized plans and gave him too many days (3) and I can’t figure out how to modify my request. I am trying to not put the can’t miss things on those days.

If we miss getting in to Holocaust or up the Washington Monument, those aren’t as big of priorities.

It is definitely a puzzle and a may look at a different plan since museum burn out it real. I already have tickets for Air and Space but African American doesn’t open tickets up until next week. I may play around with it some more and change things up some.

I will look into Mount Vernon on Friday after we leave the city. How long would you say it takes to tour properly?

From looking at their website it looks like the west wing with 8 galleries opening in Oct 2022. The East wing is still closed. We may only need the morning here.

Hi. I just updated my current trip! Here now. I have found most of the metro trips within the mall area to be $2. DC circulator $1. Keep in mind transfer are cheap or free. Hoping back on circulator within 2 hours was free. Not sure if you can do it multiple times.

I can’t comment on tickets as things are pretty dead right now. But we were told that starting in “spring” things get crazy there!!

You can also sign up for capital tours on the website - no congress person required. So you could always sign up for a couple and cancel what doesn’t work. There are some specialty tours too.

Air and Space is about 1/2 open but still easily a couple of hours there and still really enjoyable.

1 Like

Questions for all the local people-

I see that meter parking in DC in free on Sundays and overnight. We arrive on a Sunday afternoon/evening, if I could find a spot on the street near our hotel could I park my van there overnight and drive it to National to park there the next morning? Also what time would I have to feed the meter in the morning or move the van by? How bad would traffic be exited the city during potential rush hour that morning?

If so I may switch and do Arlington and Pentagon Monday morning since they are closer to National then downtown.

Thank you. That helps with Metro pricing.

I have backup tickets for Congress from the Capital Visitor Center already. Still holding out hope the Congressman come through since I have heard that is a better tour. We will see what happens.

How hard is it to get tickets to African American Museum.

I am not sure exactly–there is availability most days for which they currently have released tickets, but the tourist season very much heats up around here during spring break/cherry blossoms. Because you are planning ahead, I would guess you could get any day of the week you are looking for.

I will look into Mount Vernon on Friday after we leave the city. How long would you say it takes to tour properly?

I would plan for a minimum of 3 hours. but many would spend much more. It’s a large property, and there is a lot to see. Upon arrival, there is a small exhibit space which potentially includes watching a film, then you walk out toward the house. There are gardens on each side that are quite expansive (the grounds are my favorite aspect–especially the beautiful view of the river behind the house), including lots of plantings and animals. Sometimes there are various actors playing parts of people who would have lived there. You would want to tour the house (only guided tours available), and often you have to wait in line to get your tour group. There are also slave quarters and various other outbuildings to see (blacksmith, kitchen, carriage house, etc). The tomb is there, and if you walk down the hill there is the gristmill and river front. Once you’ve see as much of the house and grounds as you want to see, there is a large and fantastic museum exhibit space that includes various artifacts (a set of the wooden teeth, for example), models of GW at various ages, more films, historical background into, and a hands-on exhibit space for children. Then, of course, they have food and gift shop space.

Have I sold you yet? Haha. I have been there many times, and although I seldom tour the house, I love it every time I go.

I don’t see Smithsonian Natural History - they’d always been a favorite and kids will love it. I’d swap that for one of your other museums.

I love subways so before visiting a big city that is the first thing I look into. I’ll do buses too since parking at tourist places are usually a nightmare.
I was shocked at the metro prices. I can see how the DC Metro would be a good idea for one person going to work. But for our family of three our short trips would have been more expensive than Uber.

Note: I haven’t gone yet. But, as a liner I include transportation options in the hotel/VRBO selection. If I’m taking the subway, I find I prefer someplace a bit away from the tourist stuff but basically on top of a subway stop.