Splitting the party

On our upcoming trip we have 2 parents, 2 grandparents, and 3 kids. We plan on Child Swapping a number of attractions (basically anything which is moderately scary, moderately thrilling, or has a moderate height limit or line). Is there any way for a personalized Touring Plan to accommodate this and say, “The party with the little kid should do ______ while waiting and meet you later at _______?” Alternatively, are there close by kid friendly alternatives to attractions like:

1. RnRC/ToT
  2. Star Tours
  3. Everest
  4. Splash
  5. Space
  6. Thunder
  7. 7DMT
  8. Soarin’
  9. TT
  10. Dino/PE
  11. etc.

For Everest and the Dino rides, there’s the Boneyard in Dinoland. But plan for at least 30 -45 minutes and then have something to tempt them out!

For BTMRR and Spalsh there’s Tom Sawyers Island, but that takes the raft ride to get there and swap over. But it’s a fantastic place for winding down, and again I always allowed an hour to play. Otherwise watching the boats come down perhaps?

For 7dmt, there’s the splash zone area up towards the station.

At Epcot there’s a play zone at the back (exit) of TT.

At DHS - pass! Ice cream?

HS: I’ve heard of others letting the grands take kids to a show while those who want to do RnRC/ToT do those.

I think your kids are 5, 7, 9, right? Do you know for sure that they don’t like “thrill” rides like Splash and 7DMT? I’m just asking because a good friend of mine just went with her DS3.5, timid DD5.5, and DD9. And they all loved everything they did. They only did EP and MK, but the 3.5 did everything he was tall enough for (Soarin’, TT, 7DMT, etc.) and loved them and the timid 5-yo liked them, too. Haunted Mansion was the only thing she said they didn’t like. So maybe watch some videos before you decide your kids automatically won’t like something.

On the TP aspect, I think the best way to do it is to account for RS…it asks if you want to use RS so check “yes” if it will be a true swap. If not, don’t check the box and add in whatever else you’re planning for the non-riders to do as another step immediately before or after. You can add notes to each step.

I think the Seas tanks are near Soarin’ and TT. Jungle Cruise and Aladdin’s Carpets should be not to far from Splash/BTMR, otherwise the Liberty riverboat? Or they could ride the train around the park? And isn’t there a play area kind of under Splash but near the railroad? Buzz and the Speedway are near Space. And there are lots of kiddie rides in Fantasyland near 7DMT…Dumbo, Barnstormer, etc.

Does this sound right @Nicky_S? I’m just going off two years of research here…

I would use the notes aspect of your TP. Select RS and then add a note about what the others can do while waiting for the riders - where the riders can come find the waiters, etc.

For my bigger crew (4 kids ages 8 - 15, 4 parents, 2 grandparents) I actually create separate TPs that repeatedly intersect, but this is because we try to avoid the RS, which we can do because we have both young and old people who don’t like rollercoasters. For example, one year I had a Coasters Plan for the older kid and some adults, and the Character Plan for the younger kids and some other adults. We’d meet up for things like lunch, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, Dole Whips…

When coordinating TPs, I optimize the first one I do for a given day, and then manually arrange the other to match up as much as possible. Getting the same FPP slots helps - and I just note when each group is expected to arrive at a particular ride so we know wether or not to wait for each other.

1 Like