Splash Mountain changes

There’s only one Disney Movie that fits with the land: An American Tail: Feivel Goes West

:smiley:

Edit: fine. It’s not Disney. It really seemed like it was.

6 Likes

Uh. That ain’t Disney.

2 Likes

Details. Details. Don’t confuse us with facts.

1 Like

Oh. Sorry about that.

In that case, I think it should be themed after “Jaws”, which is the endearing story of an ocean-sailing dog who crossed Alaska to bring medicine to a flock of dancing penguins.

6 Likes

Fair, but I bet it could be for cheap

3 Likes

I think that whole section will eventually be rethemed, lol

2 Likes

In DLR, I think they should do away with “Critter Country” when they change Splash to PatF. Make the Hungry Bear QS into a Tiana’s Place and basically extend New Orleans to include Splash and the restaurant. Then you could have a little 100 Acre Wood as it’s own little area behind it with Pooh. But … whatever happens, they have to keep Davey Crockett’s Canoes!

4 Likes

@PrincipalTinker and @melcort10 I was thinking about Pocahontas last night and remembering all the controversy when it came out. You’re right it would probably not be a good idea. Although, my older daughter loves that movie and we are big fans of the song, “Just Around the River Bend!” Plus … she loves raccoons. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Meeko!

3 Likes

I also think Frontierland could be nixed eventually and Adventureland extended to BTM and TSI. The section by CBJ and the arcade could be reimagined to be part of Liberty Square.
Edit: I personally do not feel HM fits completely with Liberty Square so its doable

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Hungry Bear but I’m on board for a cajun restaurant!

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. The songs in Pocahontas, written by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, The Prince of Egypt), are absolute masterpieces. I know it’s not up to me to decide if something appropriately represents another culture, but for what it’s worth, as an outsider it appears to me that they tried to represent it well. I mean, there’s a song called Savages, but it’s explicitly about how the white settlers are racist. Maybe too much for a child to comprehend?

In any case, I doubt a Pocahontas attraction is ever coming to a Disney park, so the point is moot. Disney will find a way to make PatF as Frontiersy as possible. I suppose since New Orleans was part of the Louisiana Purchase, it technically is part of the same Frontier as Colorado, Wyoming, and Oregon, right? :wink:

4 Likes

It’s practically next door!

2 Likes

Because a clone is much cheaper than two completely new rides.

Albeit it won’t be a completely new ride, they’ll just switch the animatronics and scenes. It’s still cheaper and uses half the number of Imagineers to design one re-imagined” ride than two.

5 Likes

But there may or may not be a Pocahontas resort!

2 Likes

I remember talking about this with my mom at the time it came out, and saying I was just glad to see a princess that wasn’t white! I actually still find it a little difficult to believe it took until 1995 for an animated Disney movie to heavily feature non-white characters. I don’t count the Three Caballeros, although perhaps I should. I agree the music is amazing!

4 Likes

Off topic, but I love this song so much:

It’s actually originally written by a Mexican musician, not Disney, but the cover in The Three Caballeros is beautiful.

3 Likes

As someone else mentioned I now see Pocahontas may not be an ideal substitute. They could nix Frountierland, expand Adventureland, PatF ride could be adventurous, but not sure what Disney is thinking about doing with the ride.

2 Likes

Well, Splash Mountain is set in the Deep South so New Orleans is as close as the setting of the original movie (which shall not be named) behind the Splash Mountain story, isn’t it?!

6 Likes

I think they should have just replaced it with another original ride instead of trying to fit IP into every space. That’s one of the things that makes so many of the original attractions so great. You can only experience them at the park.

Given Disney seems intent on putting IP in every ride, I think Brother Bear would work better. Also, they use boat rides for all sorts of things that are unrelated to water. It is just a type of ride vehicle. I don’t know why this one has to be any different.

3 Likes

This is very, very true!

1 Like