Southwest to end open seating

Yeah… That’s kinda why I don’t watch a lot of that stuff. My life is already stressful enough! :rofl: :rofl:

Plus, reality shows tend to focus on bad behaviors which I don’t want to see either! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Breeze just came to MSY. Hoping to give them a shot.
SW flights from MSY are reasonable (starting at $59). I think it just depends on how big the presence of the airline is at the airport and where it usually flys to out of said airport. SW has a large presence in MSY.
I’m done with Frontier I think. And you know how I feel about those Spirit Big and Comfy seats!

1 Like

I am open to Breeze which is now flying MHT to MCO two days a week. Haven’t flown them yet but the pricing is nice

2 Likes

I didn’t see any mention of this. But maybe if the 1st carry on and 1st checked were free they could get a little revenue from the ones with tons and tons of bags.
DH and I have talked about the seating issue. While I love it bwcause it’s just DH and I and I pay for EB as long as seat selection isn’t more than EB, I’m ok with it.
For families, I wish SW could just implement a one party fee to have seats assigned together. Party of 8, it’s $80 for SW to assign your party seats together. All seats must be purchased at the same time. Because $30 a seat x’s 8 adds up. Of course this is only an option if the software can allocate 8 seats together at time of purchase in this example.
Now if they do implement seat assignments hopefully they board the plane back to front. That could save time.

2 Likes

Yes! We loved watching it!

The study I saw showed that the most efficient loading was window / middle / aisle.

3 Likes

From the article:
Southwest is not, however, looking to change its beloved two free checked bags policy. After fares and schedule, the carrier’s “bags fly free” policy is the No. 1 reason why customers choose Southwest over competitors, Jordan said on the call.

4 Likes

But this also breaks up parties. So while this is ideal if the plane is full of single passengers or groups that can easily split up into solo borders, it isn’t practical for a lot of people.

I always find it interesting how different hubs are served differently by various airlines. Southwest used to be a good option for us out of MSP but we haven’t flown them in over 5 years.
To quote the article:
After fares and schedule, the carrier’s “bags fly free” policy is the No. 1 reason why customers choose Southwest over competitors

Fares and schedule are the top reasons we don’t fly them. They are consistently among the highest priced for the longest total travel time.

4 Likes

Agreed. I like 1 bag included. But the bags fly free isn’t my main reason for choosing SW. It’s direct flights at good times and with decent prices.
ETA: So if SW doesn’t offer this for you than there is not value in SW for you. Paying for a bag isn’t the end of the world.

2 Likes

Same! Whenever I find another airline with similar pricing I usually have to pay $50 - $75 more to add a bag

2 Likes

Exactly. We haven’t been taking the kinds of trips where we max out on luggage and we don’t check bags if it can be helped, so we find other ways around it. We are a family of 5 so if we fly a nickel and dime airline like Sun Country (like Spirit) we each pack an under seat bag because they’re included. If we have overage, we can usually get by with a single carry on. Paying for one bag each way is easily absorbed into our fare savings.

2 Likes

How do you like Sun Country? We are looking at cheap flights to MSP from Detroit to visit our daughter, and sometimes Sun Country has better prices than Spirit.

1 Like

They are serviceable. They’ve been reliable on schedules. If you bring your own device you connect to their entertainment hub. No in seat screens. They fly out of Terminal 2 which some people dislike but I love it for ease of getting in and out. (Example: I mistakenly did not account for one child’s finals schedule when booking a family trip to visit the in-laws. We arrived at the terminal 30 minutes before scheduled departure and made it.)
Edit in case you’re not familiar: Terminal 2 is the much smaller, fairly outdated terminal. There are very limited amenities. But easy to get to, shorter security lines and once through security you are at the gates. No long haul.

1 Like

The way United does.it, they keep.parties together. So if someone in your party, in the same row has a window, you all go together.

A big part of United’s success with this is the new ovwrhead bins that allow everyone to being a bag if they need.

3 Likes

I need to research this to make sure my perception is correct, but something that makes me want to fly southwest is that they always felt like they had more leg room in the standard seats. Most of the airlines that have upcharges for more leg room seem to continue to shrink the standard leg room.

1 Like

My research puts the newer Maxs on the high side for seat pitch, so I am not imagining things!

1 Like

I just flew Sun Country from MCO to SEA with a layover (of course) in MSP. I liked that they at least give you a soda without charge unlike Frontier! They were fine and I wouldn’t hesitate for a short hop like Detroit to Minneapolis.

2 Likes

I flew them direct from SNA to MCO (since you know I like to visit DL on my way to WDW sometimes) and quite liked them. I had the first class seats and they weren’t much more than the economy.

2 Likes

We get a lot of direct flights since Sun Country is a whole hub here, but hilariously the last trip we took, the route was MSP-Eau Claire-Ft Myers. Eau Claire is about 80 miles from here. :joy:Thankfully we had a direct flight home.

2 Likes