Southwest--should I ever trust them again?

So true. They made me cry once

2 Likes

That could very well be.

And there are folks who are booking multiple tickets as self-insurance against cancellations, so I’m sure that’s effing stuff up.

3 Likes

Yes, when an airline is cancelling 2500 flights a day, all those customers are trying to book other airlines.

4 Likes

Another piece of it could be, presumably most airlines were affected by the storm itself. So all seats became scarce as people started re-booking??

3 Likes

They can, but it is going to cost a whole lot more.

1 Like

Oh for sure! I don’t mean to suggest otherwise. I’m just thinking out loud and also considering that depending on the severity of the need, throw money at it and deal with the cleanup later (recognizing this isn’t feasible for all)

3 Likes

I’m sad you had that experience as I love United!

I really, really hate American. I used to travel a lot for work and I never enjoyed flying with them.
All of their frequent flier perks were awful compared to United, so I stayed loyal to United even though my coworkers were American fans. And I can’t tell you how many times my old boss told me about the multiple times he slept in the airport in Dallas.

The real nail in the coffin for me for American was when one of my best friends was in Turks and Caicos when a hurricane started heading that direction, and American stranded her. I gave her my United status customer service number and they spent an hour trying to get her and her travel partner out of the island. They were unsuccessful, but she told me that United spent more time with her and tried harder than American did.

4 Likes

There was definitely disruptions because of weather, but SW is accounting for far more than reasonable. They cancelled 70% of their entire schedule yesterday.

The number of canceled flights for Southwest Monday was more than 10 times higher than for Delta, which had the second-most cancellations by a U.S. airline with 265 flights called off. Other airlines have also ordered large-scale cancellations in the past week.

There’s disruptions, and then there’s catastrophic failures of service. This keeps up, the new phrase of “things are going south” will be “things are going South West Airlines.” :crazy_face:

10 Likes

Oh I would throw money at it as well, especially for something like a wedding. They can’t miss it. Since it is drivable, I assume they just decided to do that, and get on with it quickly instead of trying to find other airlines. She hasn’t been back to the thread so I assume she is tying up loose ends and getting on the road.

8 Likes

I can’t even imagine.

3 Likes

Yeah they literally yelled at my mom about her tiny purse needing to be stuffed in her very loosely filled small backpack. I mean there was room and the purse was tiny. And they literally publicly berated her instead of just asking nicely to combine. I’ll never forgive them. But also just in general they have zero social skills. It’s like it’s a job requirement.

• I warned DS today about how rude they are since he was flying them today. And especially in their hub. My guess is the atmosphere in the HQ is toxic and the employees take it out in the customers. However, his flight left almost on time and is landing early. So point to American over SWA cuz I’ll take rude over not getting there. And he literally just landed! Yay American. You did it!
7 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

We used to fly AA when we liked in AZ. They have a hub do it was always the cheapest. Never had any issues with rude thankfully.

3 Likes

So just DFW. Must be something in the Texas air.

2 Likes

Yes and no. What’s happening is that weather created issues for all of the airlines last week. Most of the other airlines are recovering from that, but SWA is getting WORSE as the days go by. And passengers such as @Enchantedbythemouse are booking on other airlines and the demand for the few open seats is sky-rocketing. So in a way SWA’s issues are now bleeding over into the other airlines. I say this as if I’m an expert. I’m not. But I am a mom who was desperately trying to find a solution when her daughter’s SWA flight was cancelled on Christmas Eve. I literally saw tickets on other airlines be snapped up as I was trying to book. Those were probably SWA passengers looking for a solution to the same problem we had.

11 Likes

Jinx. :rofl:

2 Likes

They exist in Orlando too. Last time I flew out, I was in line to board, literally about to scan my ticket, and I got pulled out of line so the one lady could spot-check the dimensions of my carryon. Eager to throw around her authori-tah! she told me my carryon couldn’t be allowed on unless it fit perfectly in the little ‘example’ area thing. And it wasn’t going to unless I zipped/compressed it up.

When we tested it, it didn’t clear by like a half an inch at best. She repeated that it wasn’t fitting and it needed to be checked unless I could make it smaller.

So I zipped it down in front her (losing my place in line as we did all this), and wouldn’t ya know it, it fit with space to spare… With a grunt of “ok” i was allowed to reenter the line.

So weird. Sure am glad I had purchased priority boarding. So worth it :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Well, I saw seats they could buy for tomorrow. For almost $8,000 for all four of them. That is throwing a lot of money at the problem! I saw one way tix for Chessie that were well over $1000. I just couldn’t pull the trigger on that.

5 Likes

That is a lot of money. But a wedding has no budget, right? :wink:

4 Likes

you misspelled “Disney Vacation”

Very common mistake. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

$8000! That’s two years worth of vacations for us.

2 Likes