Southwest--should I ever trust them again?

Actually, the wedding is Friday. Rehearsal dinner Thursday. So they have even less time to get there and get things ready.

11 Likes

I remember wondering if I should move my JetBlue flight due to their issues in April. Flight Cancellations: JetBlue Flights From Logan Continue to Be Canceled as Issues Persist – NBC Boston

It seems like the all have their turn and right now, it’s Southwest. We used to love when they and Orlando flights from Worcester because it’s 20 miles away instead of the hour to BOS, BDL or PVD. But we knew booking it we might have issues because tiny airport doesn’t have much wiggle room for error with 1 flight a day.

2 Likes

Actually the thread I intended to cite was by RuizHome called “Thanks Southwest,” about a trip that had to be entirely cancelled due to SW cancelling the flights. I can’t figure out how to link a thread into another thread. So that’s another example of an entire trip cancelled due only to SW.

2 Likes

Check this out. Make sure to look at the rank using number of complaints/enplanements. I’ve had good experience flying Delta.

3 Likes

SW isn’t a viable option for me, but even if it was there is no way I’d fly with them. Their business model is severely flawed and we keep seeing it melt down over and over again. This is at least the third major multi day shut down we’ve seen from them in the last year or 2. It’s not the weather or the pandemic or staffing issues, it is their business model and that isn’t changing.

7 Likes

Heartbreaking

2 Likes

So. SW has so many nonstop (and cheaper) flights per day out of our home airport that we’ve used them almost exclusively. And, we usually fly on points transferred from our Chase card to SW. But, I’m currently trying to book flights for a Feb trip to MCO and thinking of using the points elsewhere. This latest SW stuff is an absolute mess and I worry about our short weekend trip being similarly affected.

6 Likes

I only flew SW for years, always out of PVD or MHT (my first choice) even though I live about 10 minutes from Logan (on a Sunday morning).

I will admit that I have booked my son and his girlfriend a couple of flights with my SW points, but I stopped flying them years ago.

I can Lyft to Logan for under $20. If JetBlue cancels my flight there are usually 20+ other chances I can get on another flight, and at least 25% of those are direct flights. Add the fact that for some crazy reason JetBlue gave me a crazy amount of free points during Covid for their credit card/ I am now “all in”.

“There were 2,818 cancelations Tuesday across flights within, into or out of the United States, and 2495 of them were on Southwest”.

6 Likes

Can you still add trip insurance? :grimacing:

This is my top choice these days. It really isn’t much more price wise for where we fly. And I’ll pay extra to have a seat so I can be in the plane the least amount of time as possible!

4 Likes

Yeah, as @QwertySC said, it’s just from the daily thread and now she’s having to drive for 15 hours to get to her daughter’s wedding.
It’s terrible that there was no alternative flight :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Through NY.
Where parts of the Thruway are still closed

4 Likes

I don’t fly enough to do any kind of comparison. But since Detroit is Delta’s main hub, it is almost always the airline with the most choices at the lowest price for us. We don’t see flights nearly as low as many here do, however…at least not for flying to MCO.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that :sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat as Enchanted - I booked on points, so that makes it more challenging for trip insurance.

If I have to drive 14+ hours, it will be fine. Not ideal, but fine. I would just have to make the call prior to leaving for the trip. :grimacing:

6 Likes

That is terrible indeed. Obviously for something of that nature, I’d be hopping in the car and driving too, sucky as that is

There was no alternative flight on SW or none at all?

5 Likes

This is a thing of the past where I am. Now there’s generally one, occasionally two nonstops a day in each direction and the times stink.

3 Likes

So sorry @JustKeepSmiling I hope the drive goes smoothly :people_hugging:

8 Likes

I’m unsure, but I assume the latter if she decided to drive.

2 Likes

My personal lifetime experience which is anecdotal of course

American - downright rude employees (at least in the DFW hub)

Delta - just okay

Southwest - used to be a a great deal with some of the cheapest flights and best on time record then I think it was another airline they bought out or something like 10 years ago and their prices skyrocketed and they’ve never been the same. I HATE the seating assignment, boarding process and by the time I pay to avoid it, it’s more expensive than the major airlines

United - aka Untied. Planes break and you get stuck. In 7 degree Chicago. At least that’s my experience. I don’t like them but I LOVED Continental whom they bought out. I was hoping they’d lean in that direction and I think they might have slightly nudged but I still don’t love em

JetBlue - loved them back in the day as well. Now not so much. Still better than others but they’ve declined

Frontier - planes got worse (they used to have TVs like JetBlue and normal seats) but I’ve never had an issue. Not as many choices

Spirit - literally zero issue flying them. My issues came with their bag drop at MCO taking forty minutes and that they kept charging me MORE for flights when I modified them even when the new flights were cheaper. I had to call multiple people and the online chat was horrid customer and I mean horrid customer service continually stating the price of the flights had changed. Yup but in my favor so I shouldn’t be getting charged when you claim to not have change fees.

4 Likes

None.
It’s awful.

3 Likes