Something Borrowed, Something Banked

You do need your points to be available, if you are booking April 2023 and you 100 points you could use your 2022 banked points and your 2023 points (February UY) if the reservation is up to 200 points. If it is up to 250 points, you vacant borrow during the booking process 50 of your 2024 points.

If you book using your 200 points and at 7 months you need the one-time extra points, you need to call to book and buy the points.

2 Likes

To make sure I understand:

When I am booking, if I am going to use banked points, it will ā€œreserveā€ using those banked points. But it wonā€™t actually bank them. I have to do that later / separately. Correct?

1 Like

Banking means you have the points now and youā€™ll use them later

So if I had December 2021 points (and it was not yet July 31) and I wanted to use them for a Jan 2023 booking I would make the booking and it would effectively bank them. I donā€™t think youā€™d have to go back later and bank them because theyā€™re already being used in that way?

Where is @Nicky_S :laughing:

This stuff gets kind of weedy

2 Likes

No! Sorry! You need to bank them before you book!

For example, I have an August UY. I booked a night at CC in January for December 2022. I had to bank the points I wanted to use for that stay before I booked even though my banking deadline is end of March.

If you mess it up MS can (think) reallocate the the points that you forgot to bank but bank first!

1 Like

Looks like itā€™s been sorted out.

You do need to bank points that youā€™re going to need to make a reservation before you book. If you need to borrow you can do that at the time of booking.

One time use points can only be bought at the 7 month mark, and you need to call to buy them. You cannot just buy them though to use later. You need to actually book a reservation when you buy them.

And you cannot bank or borrow one time use points.

MS can apply one time use points to an existing booking as long as it was made within the 7 month mark. That would be done by calling. You might want to do that if you were in danger of losing them after cancelling the reservation youā€™d booked with them, for example.

If you want to reallocate your points, for example to use recently banked points in place of current points, you can do that yourself. Modify the reservation, donā€™t change anything at all and complete the modification. The system should re-allocate the points automatically.

And a heads up, I donā€™t know about what happens if you have multiple contracts. I know you have to select which contract to take points from when booking, I think that has to be done at the start of the process. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve managed to understand!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a bit of an understatement! But thank you! I think I get it now.

Thankfully Iā€™m fairly certain in my plan of what Iā€™m using my points for. Very low risk of needing points that Iā€™m banking. And Iā€™m totally fine booking cash / renting if I have a change of plans.

1 Like

Now I am confused. Nevermind- I get it now.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, I just did simple math. Iā€™ve wondered about selling our contract one year instead of banking.

1 Like

@PrincipalTinker do you have a link to that calendar that shows how far in advance various resorts / room types sell out vs. have availability? Not the one with actual availability at the current moment. You know which one Iā€™m talking about?

Edit: Never mind, I found it. I even had it bookmarked. :joy:

https://www.dvchelp.com/page/boardwalk-villas-availability-charts

2 Likes

Really all of this is entirely too complicated. Do like we do and always have 4 trips on the books

6 Likes

I like this idea, but how does it solve the problem of the system being too complicated? :thinking:

3 Likes

Ask as many questions as you can think of! The other option is ā€œlearning by your mistakesā€ and that s****.

2 Likes

This definitely made it more complicated for me.

Because of the 7 month competitiveness, when I needed to bank and buy 1 time use points for my stay, I did it for a fake reservation before the 7 month mark and then canceled the reservation so the points would be ready for me.

Then I went back and pretend modified my other reservations (i.e. tell the system you want to modify but donā€™t change anything) starting with the reservation that was happening the soonest. That reshuffles the points to use the ones that are expiring the soonest.

1 Like

Lol fell and broke my hip & pelvis - right before our 2015 run disney tripā€¦

I didnā€™t run lol but sure as %^* I left the rehab hospital and was on a plan within 48 hours

• my sons carried me on to a few rides but they are big boys
2 Likes

So (Iā€™m sure that Iā€™m getting this wrong but) does DVC facilitate taking a trip every third year?

For example:
2023 - join DVC, bank points to 2024
2024 - use banked 2023, 2024 and borrow 2025 points
2025 - points were used in 2024
2026 - bank points to 2027
2027 - use banked 2026, 2027 and borrow 2028 points
repeatā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, this usually works. Right now, you can only borrow 50% of your points. That was supposed to be a temporary restriction until they could get through the Covid blip, but I havenā€™t heard of when it will sunset.

Maybe @Nicky_S knows?

1 Like

With the borrowing rule still in place, probably the best you can do, realistically, is every 2 years (with a bit of leeway, depending when in your use year you book).

We have our trips planning out, and it is ā€œaveragingā€ about every 18 months that weā€™ll be going. (We could do more frequently if we either stayed fewer nights, or stayed in a studio.)

2 Likes

One additional thought, even if you could borrow ALL your points, is that it will be hard to get a trip that fully utilizes ALL of your points you have available exactly. Youā€™ll probably end up leaving some points on the table (not a lot, but some). You will end up losing those points, if thatā€™s the case, unless you bank them and still book something the FOLLOWING year that can use themā€¦which also puts you back at the 2 year interval.

If you donā€™t mind losing a few points, then the 3 year thing (once the 50% limit is dropped) becomes possible.

2 Likes

YAY!

I think your math is working correctly. But as @Jeff_AZ says right now thereā€™s the 50% borrowing rule to consider.

But YAY!

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what we planned for.

Slightly scuppered by the borrowing rule, as @Jeff_AZ said.

In the event we havenā€™t even managed that. 4 years between trips 1&2, and now 6 years. But we did rent our points out and paid for the maintenance fees each year and for a couple of years ahead too.

No idea when the borrowing restriction will end though. My guess is sometime early next year for booking Fall / Winter 2023/24. When demand and booking patterns start to return to normal.

2 Likes