Something Borrowed, Something Banked

I will need banked points for my trip in May 2023. I will book my home resort at 11 months and try to get my desired resort at 7 months. I have until I think August to bank my points (February use year).

Should I bank before 11 months so I can have those available? I don’t plan to use the points this year, but it’s always good to wait as long as possible just in case. Just curious what the best practice is, how much time it takes for banked points to become available for use, if there will be any restrictions, etc. Any considerations I’m missing?

1 Like

Listening in here. I want to know many years I can bank points. I think there is a limit?

1 Like

I think you can bank all of your points forward one year. But once banked, they can’t be banked into the following year. But you could bank that year’s points to the following year.

For example:

2022 points (100): Bank all to 2023
2023 points (200): Use 100 2022 points bank 2023 points to 2024
2024 points (200): Use banked 2023 points and 2024 points

2 Likes

I think your banking deadline is September 30th. I would wait. If you bank and something comes up you will end up borrowing next year’s points. Plans change and it is best to have as much flexibility as possible.

3 Likes

I’ve waited to bank points at my deadline. Thanks for that confirmation.
I was thinking if someone wanted to use points for Galactica (probably not a good idea) they’d have to bank points but it would take years. It’s better to pay cash for Disney cruises, Galactica and other non-DVC resorts than ‘transfer’ points… correct. I don’t think the value is good for that exchange?

1 Like

The number I have heard is somewhere around $7 to $7.50 a point for those? I think they will take multiple years of points when booking some of those.

2 Likes

I have waited til the proverbial last minute. I set some reminders in my phone in the days leading up to the deadline and move them over then. I’d hate to bank and then have some rare opportunity come up to take a quick trip, and have to borrow.

2 Likes

You can only bank one year forward.

2 Likes

What’s wrong w/ borrowing points from yourself? learning…

1 Like

bank or book?

1 Like

Well because once you borrow they stay in THAT use year

So in a perfect storm:

You bank forward early
The next week you hear that your friends are having a gathering
You borrow so you can go, since you can’t get the banked points back
But then you fall and break a hip and you can’t go and have to cancel
You lose the points you borrowed because they stay in the year you broght them to and can’t be returned to the original year.
I suppose you can rent them but then that’s not really the same thing as having them for your use

2 Likes

oops typo - bank

2 Likes

thanks for this explanation… makes sense and is helpful!

2 Likes

Ok so I think my 7-month mark for my trip will be in October, so if I bank in September I will have all the points I need for my preferred booking.

However, my home resort backup reservation will be incomplete since I will only have about half the points I need. Should this concern me?

You only need to have the points available on the day you arrive. You do not need to have them “in hand” to be able to book for that future date.

Example: Today I do not have my 2022 points because I get them in December. But today I can book for January 2023 because I will have them in hand by the time I need to use them.

3 Likes

I just did the math for a SWGS stay and you’d only get 7.01 per point… not really worth it. If I sold (rented out on Dave’s) those same points for $20 per point I’d get $14K in return.

1 Like

Is David’s paying $16.50 to owners?

1 Like

See, this is why I asked. I didn’t know that about not needing your points in hand when booking. Is that true when you need to borrow? What about when you need to purchase one-time-use points (can you do that again yet)?

1 Like

That’s how much you pay David’s to rent. He takes a cut of that. But the overall point is still true. Not worth it to use points for Starcruiser.

2 Likes

Yes! It will tell you - you don’t have enough points for this booking (ie you won’t have them in hand before you arrive) - and it will ask you if you want to borrow and from which contract.

When you purchase one-time-use points you would purchase those at the time of booking so you have them available to use for booking. I’ve not done that before but I think you have to call for that.

1 Like