Solo for the Gold (9/29 - 10/3/2021)

Yes, the perfect beginning to the evening!

Since I’ve only had a Clif bar and a chili dog today, I’m in desperate need of sustenance. Good thing there’s nobody in line at Sleepy Hollow. Looks like everyone is leaving the park, even though there’s still 90 minutes until the park closes.

After enjoying my snack with that amazing view, I’m off to Haunted Manion. Plenty of time for me to ride that and get in line for 7DMT before park closes.

Ended up waiting about 15 minutes for HM, and now I’m at the queue for 7DMT. It’s 10:20 and there is literally nobody in line!

Walked onto 7DMT twice, and now I’m making my way to the bus.

What a day! It could have gone smoother and some kind of pomp and circumstance for the 50th would have been nice (seriously, I still can’t believe there was NOTHING), but it was one of the best days I’ve had in the last 2 years.

Well, it’s almost midnight now, and I’m getting up at 6am to rope drop Pandora, so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

18 Likes

I loved all of @Randall1028’s daytime shots of the statues…but I now want to take pictures of all of them at night. I love this one!

8 Likes

I noticed how cool this one is too :star_struck:

1 Like

Real life is catching up to me, so I’m going to try and plow through this last day of my trip.

Day 4 (Oct 2) – 4 Parks 1 Day

Decided to sleep in until 630. I think as long as I’m in AK before non-resort guests, the line for FOP won’t be too long. I really want to see the standby queue (have always used FP/RS/DAS), so it may work out better if there is a little bit of a wait. More time to take in the detail. I got breakfast at the food court (MICKEY WAFFLES!), and now getting on the bus at 715. AK officially opens at 8 so I should be good.

Arrived at AK around 740, and in the FOP queue at 755. Walked on!

Invasive species alert!

I’ve been on FOP probably 6-7 times and this was the first time I truly got it. I’ve heard people describe it in such crazy terms like “spiritual experience”, and always thought that was a little much. To be fair, the first few times I rode it I got a bit motion sick, and I think that affected my experience too much. But each time the motion sickness has been less (no idea why). Today I felt great, caffeine kicked in in full force, my 3D/AR glasses were flawless, and I was totally immersed in the experience. I nearly starting whooping and hollering like a bull-riding cowboy. Ok, maybe not that into it, but it was amazing.

18 Likes

Love these pics! Especially that tree :heart_eyes: and the newly established Birthing Center at Animal Kingdom

8 Likes

I rode it three times in one day a few years ago. Standby (60) minutes, a scheduled FP and a last minute FP drop. Remember those? :unamused:
The spiritual experience hit me that day …

2 Likes

A while back I created a thread asking if they should refresh the color of the leaves. I’m wondering if Disney ended up doing so? I never noticed the “faded” quality of the leaves on either of my recent trips, which is a good thing. Looking at these pics, it seems much more natural now than it used to.

NEW:

OLD:

Could be lighting, but like I said, seeing it in person it looked very natural, as opposed to when I was there 4+ years ago.

6 Likes

Maybe they figured out a way to do a power wash? I was noticing the changes too.

2 Likes

This is where my mind goes

3 Likes

But did you lift your fist and cry, “Sivako!” ? I do. Every time.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I would have said. But I reigned in my excitement before it got too out of hand.

1 Like

Just now trying to catch up with the forum. Looks like you had an amazing experience in a few short days! Thanks for all of the beautiful photos and trip report. So glad you got the opportunity to be there for the 50th!

2 Likes

After FOP I walked on to NRJ (820am) and the safari (840am)! What a great start to an epic day of touring!

IMG_9912
IMG_9916
IMG_9920

IMG_9932

IMG_9937

Checked out Gorilla Falls trail, my first time on either of the trails. We usually skip these because we have two world-class zoos within 30-45 minutes of our home which we visit several times each year. But after watching the Animal Kingdom show on Disney+, I’m interested in seeing familiar places/animals, like baby Grace. She was skipping around her mom and dad, it was so cute. Too bad I can’t upload a video.

It’s 920am and I’m off to Everest…

10 Likes

Those giraffe pictures with the sunlight streaming through… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Walked onto EE the first time through standby to see the queue, then two more rides via SR. Although I’ve been on this a few times in the past, today was the first time I saw the Yeti. I never knew what to look for. And as you’re coming down, banking sharply through the mountain, your head is pulled down by the force. So I was never looking up. My advice, make sure you see the Yeti. It had me screaming like a little girl.

Now, I’m in need of a drink and a show…

… and another drink …

13 Likes

You’ve never noticed the Yeti before?! :scream:
I won’t ride on the right-hand side (if I can help it) because it freaks me out so much. I’m honestly glad it doesn’t move. That would be too much. :fearful:

5 Likes

After some wonderful libations, I’m making my way to Conservation Station for some sketchy activities.

MY MASTERPIECE!

Checking out the rest of the station, then I’m done with AK. Trying to get to MK right when PH opens at 2.

9 Likes

Rained while I was on the bus, but stopped as I was walking up to the tapstiles. Perfect timing!

One more time!

Before HM, I got in the virtual queue for Frontier Trading post, and when they texted me that I could come back, I still had to wait in line for about 45 minutes. All I wanted were some dang rocks! The CM showing the in-stock inventory of pins kept giving me a hard time about it. Don’t they have rocks in Dallas? Yes, yes we do. But these are MAGICAL rocks! I got these for the kids, and told them they were gifts from the 7 dwarfs.

One more ride, then I’m off to HS.

Another example of iPhone’s low-light capability ruining a tableau. This pirate ship model just looks silly!

9 Likes

This is AWESOME!!! I love it! Geologist Dad.

2 Likes