Solo for the Gold (9/29 - 10/3/2021)

DW and I kept saying to ourselves that next time we’re leaving them with the grandparents! We said the same thing after our June trip to WDW. I have a feeling that by the time we truly learn the lesson I think the kids will be better travelers.

8 Likes

I was in Colorado at the same time, LOL. Too bad we could have met up for a, well you know. I have been to Denver many times, this time we were visiting my son. He moved from California back in May. Was dying to do some hiking in Rocky Mountain but time would just not be enough. Ended up hiking around the top of Arapahoe Basin and then the Flat Irons. Rocky Mountain is on the list for next time.

Thanks for taking us along on your trip, sorry its over so quick but i am sure it was great to be there if not just for a few days.

2 Likes

Oh and last week was the perfect time for the peak of Aspen fall color.

2 Likes

This, exactly. My at the time 5 year old had a harder time at WDW than I had expected (I also said I was never taking him back to WDW, which is not true). And eating out. And hiking. Toss in a pandemic where you go very few places and yikes! But they do get better! It’s hard for sure.

What lovely photos, both of the park and you and your kiddo.

Safe travels and thanks for bringing us along on your trip! I’m so glad you got to go.

2 Likes

I wanted to stop for lunch at the Oskar Blues brewery but DW vetoed. It’s my favorite brand of brews. Next time I think I’m going solo, haha! I’m actually not kidding. I want to do an epic hike across RMNP and I don’t think DW would be up for that.

2 Likes

Fiddler on the roof❤️

1 Like

Just realized how far behind in the thread I am! That was in response to what other show you referenced…ignore me but I’m loving catching up on your trip!!!

1 Like

I am lucky, my wife is very much into hiking, maybe too much so. I keep saying she is secretly trying to kill me. She plans all the hiking trips I do Disney. Our most recent trip was doing the “W” trek in Patagonia in 2020. 5 days about 65 hilly miles and a full backpack. We have heli-hiked in British columbia, hit over a dozen National Parks but our toughest hike so far was hiking to Machu Picchu. That was when she came closest to killing me at over 15,000 ft it was our biggest challenge

8 Likes

“But all my concerns about being in front of people totally vanished when I was in labor.”

This. I always had . . . unique, but not particularly dangerous things happen when I was delivering. So they were always like: can we bring in the interns? The new nurse? and on and on so they can observe? And by the end, I’d be: I do not care if you bring in the entire university football team, can we just get this baby out!

4 Likes

I am so jealous of everything in this post

DH is not into outdoors at all. As such I more or less (and foolishly) abandoned my hiking adventures after we got together. I’ve been rediscovering it recently, over the last year or so. It’s easier now that the kids are older and I don’t have to feel guilty if it’s just him I’m leaving behind instead of saddling him with single parent duty. Still I haven’t been out near as much as I’d like. I’m a little hyper focus on marathon training at the moment but I’m thinking next summer I will get out on the trail more. It’s so good for me

3 Likes

Still different than a surprise precip delivery on the sidewalk of a theme park. But yeah. There comes that point!

1 Like

This is amazing. We had to cancel our summer Colorado trip for multiple reasons, but are hitting up Big Bend at Thanksgiving. I wish I had the full solution to keep them from whining on hikes. But alas. I will say that out last hiking-filled trip it was the newly minted 8 year olds who did the most complaining. The 13 and 11 year olds were great.

If it’s their own idea they’ll go all. day. long.

And then some . . .

1 Like

I had an epidural placed but otherwise natural delivery of the triplets. Everyone who had an excuse or reason to be in that OR was in there. DH took a video of everything going on around in a brief lull (for us anyway) between getting to the OR and the arrival of baby A; if not for that video I would have idea how many people were in the room or the fury of activity that accompanied them.

But even so, I probably would have been distracted and upset to see someone standing there hanging out holding a Mickey bar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Can your wife by my travel planner? This all sounds so incredibly awesome!

1 Like

Can I just say how awesome that is that you had a vaginal birth with triplets?!

3 Likes

Come from Away is my favourite, I hope you enjoyed it!

1 Like

It is so good! I saw it 3 or 4 times with the amazing Jenn Colella as Beverly and others. My first time seeing it with Rachel Tucker and she is just as great!

And actually - the THREE leads in Chicago are Latinx! Ana (Roxie), Bianca (Velma), and Paulo Szot (Billy)! Soooo cool!!

1 Like

You have to make it happen. You don’t need to go far, maybe a local state park. That way you are not gone long. Where I live there are many trails within an hours drive that we can easily get in 8-12 miles. We try to get out at least once every weekend during the warmer months, but not as much When it gets cold.

I don’t work in the winter so we tend to take our longer vacations then. Often central and South America.

Both my boys are Eagle Scouts so that is where all of us really got the bug to be outdoors. My oldest is currently working for the forest service as a fish biologist in New Mexico. He spends many nights in a tent for work doing fish surveys and loves every minute of it. When we get together with either boy hiking is always on the agenda.

Training for a marathon is a monumental task and I tip my hat to for having the will to take it all the way. I am an ex runner, broken ankle took care of that, so I know it is tough.

I hope you find the time to get into the outdoors after that.