So you haven't been to Disney since Avatar, Toy Story, and Star Wars land has been built?

Avatar would be my first priority, then Star Wars (maybe skip rides or only ride 1 b/c of insane wait times) then Toy Story. If you don’t have younger kids, Toy Story may not be worth the wait.

2 Likes

I’m a dad of twin boys (and two others). We last visited eight years ago when my twins were 5 and my daughter was 4; coming back now with three tweens and a 5yo bonus baby…

My priority – similar to what others have already said – is really to have some fun, and if we’re lucky, to relive some of the magic from our first visit. Our plan is to experience everything as if it were our first time there, and to try to limit the number of times we’re waiting in line for more than 30-40 minutes.

I’ve heard FOP is the best ride ever. I’ve made my plans to let my kids ride it twice and my wife and I to ride it once each (my 5yo isn’t tall enough and I don’t want him to have to wait in line, thus we’re splitting up).

I’m the only Star Wars fan, and I loved Star Tours the first time I went – I’m looking forward to MFSR and hope to ride it at least twice (once each on two different visits).

Other than that - I just want my kids to have fun, which really means trying to keep things in balance so that the 5yo doesn’t get bored waiting and the tweens don’t get bored on the more tame rides… And not fighting about food (i.e., letting the kids eat junk all week if that’s what they want).

4 Likes

We thought it was really fun the first time. After that it was just meh. I’d much rather do 7DMT.

1 Like

It is definitely more than 7DMT. And its’ light years (pun intended) better than Barnstormer. So I think it puts it somewhere between a 7DMT and a BTMRR. I like the slinky effect and the singing penguin :+1:

2 Likes

FOP hands down. All our kids talk about. We’re doing After Hours at AK this next trip so they can ride it multiple times. Our kids loved SDD too. However they love coasters with twists, turns, and corkscrews. They don’t love loops or hills. However they’d do FOP over SDD hands down every time in a heartbeat. I found SDD very enjoyable but it’s not a thrilling coaster. I did like it more the 7DMT but I’ve never been a fan of Snow White.

Also Pandora is just beautiful. Toy Story Land was just too colorful for our tastes. Can’t talk about SWGE because we haven’t been yet.

2 Likes

I am the same. It has been almost 3 years for me too. And we only visit WDW every 3-5. We are normally annual DL folks. So it will feel like the first time almost.

1 Like

I agree it is much better, but yeah not really a coaster, since my 2.5 year old loved it.

1 Like

Agree

You’re very wise. Enormously good looking, too, I imagine.

3 Likes

We haven’t been since 2014, so we haven’t experienced any of these.

Kept hoping to experience a 7DMT opening but that didn’t happen. Now, I’m “eh” about it because I’ve seen so many reviews that it’s a disappointing ride.

Feeling pressured to ride FOP because it’s talked about as the best ride evah!. DD got to ride in May and she didn’t give it rave reviews. She didn’t like the glasses and effect that provided. She said she’ll ride again with a short ride. Looks like its FP or bust effort on that one.

Looking forward to SDD because that just seems like a fun ride.

Grew up with Star Wars and I’m really looking forward to seeing DH’s reaction to SW:GE.

1 Like

I worry about this a bit with FOP. I find all 3D technologies annoying. Usually things appear blurry or doubled. I can’t tolerate more than a couple minutes. Movies like Muppet Vision and Mickey’s Philharmagic I have to keep looking away and closing my eyes to keep from getting a headache.

3 Likes

FOP is more like Soarin’ to that effect but you are a little more surrounded. It may or may not still bother you but it’s much easier on the eyes than Muppet vision/Philharmagic.

2 Likes

I think it may matter if it’s active 3D or passive 3D. I think Disney uses passive 3D, as do all commercial theaters. I have active 3D and don’t get blurriness ever unless I turn my head sideways. The down side of active 3D is that the glasses get heavy after quite a while and I don’t keep them on the same spot on the bridge of my nose.

I kind of like 3D, but I use it very sparingly at my house. As in only a few times in the last 8 years or so. I only have 1 pair of glasses too, as those things aren’t cheap.

I haven’t been to SWGE but my advice for the others is don’t miss Pandora at night, it’s beautiful, and you will probably want to do FOP more than once. Toy Story land is also better at night especially if it’s hot. Toy Story land is also fairly small and won’t take up a ton of time. AS2 is a cute ride but you won’t miss it if you skip it. Definitely make SDD a priority, it is better in person!

1 Like

Same here. My response was “that’s it?” It would have been so much better had they followed through on the original design which had two indoor scenes and three coaster segments…

1 Like

Honestly, I think what you get from a ride comes from expectations. If you are looking for that extreme thrill “wow” factor, then the rides and coasters at Universal will be more to your liking. If you are looking for fun, nostalgia, releasing your “inner child” so to speak, and a sprinkling of Disney magic, then you will love both 7DMT and SDD. They are absolutely fun! Of course, I am pushing 50 years and was heard to be singing along with the dwarfs on 7DMT, so there’s that…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m 60, and although I still love the hypercoasters (they have yet to make one too tall or too fast for me), I can still enjoy the Disney magic of the mild coasters at WDW. And what’s there in 7DMT was great - there’s just not enough of it.

4 Likes

I would love for it to be a longer ride, too!

2 Likes