So... A Little Disaster Strikes

This doesn’t surprise me.

We volunteer in central Detroit to do a tutoring program for kids in grades K-5. One of the rules we have in place is that we’re not allowed to hug the kids or let then sit on our laps, etc. If the kids initiate a hug, we are to make it as quick and brief as possible, and if possible, make it a side-hug. This is because of so much impropriety that can go on, including, but not limited to, false accusations.

So, the rules are in place to protect the children AS WELL AS the adults. I imagine that Disney would have similar rules in place for similar reasons.

All I can say is a sympathetic ARGH and I am sending good vibes.

When will you see doc? I’m so anxious to hear the final verdict…

So… final verdict.

No surgery. Doc said that it would have been cast for 2 weeks then boot… but because of trip they will just leave it in the cast for 3 weeks (which has the added benefit of potentially shortening the time needed in the boot). So, she has a pink and purple cast from the knee down…

Doctor put a waterproof cast on it, but still cautioned about submerging the cast without a cover on it as they don’t want water to pool in the heel. But she can swim, do waterslides, etc. etc.

Only thing is no real weight bearing, so we will have to use stroller in parks - we will probably move faster anyway. Our first day in the parks isn’t until 5/31, so she will have ten solid days of elevating and resting the leg before we even get to the parks. I think I read that I can get something to put on the stroller that will identify it as a stroller being used as a wheelchair.

The only thing I think we will have to change is that we had 2 date nights planned where the girls were going to go to the child care at Poly and at Beach club. B/c DD5 will need help to the bathroom, and will not be able to walk fully we will probably have to cancel the child care. That being said, we have ADR’s at Cali Grill and Le Cell. for those two nights. Would there be any issues bringing the girls? They know how to behave at nice restaurants… and I assume that any restaurant in WDW will have kids in it.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the positive vibes. It looks like, at this point, we are still good to go!

Edited to add that DD5 probably won’t be able to ride FoP I wouldn’t think… but since we all have FPP, we can just RS and then DD9 can go once with me and once with DW. I can’t think of any other rides that she wouldn’t be able to go on…

14 Likes

I believe you can pick up a “wheelchair tag” for the stroller at Guest Relations.

There should be no concern with bringing your girls to Cali Grill or Le Cellier. Especially as, since you say, they know how to behave themselves.

Really, about the only places I’d be super concerned about would be V&As and trying to take them to Trader Sam’s after 8.

1 Like

So pleased that you can all enjoy the trip.

I would phone the dining CMs and explain the situation. I hope they can just add the girls to both. W took our boys to Le Cellier when they were 9 and 12, and there were much younger children there. No worries about them being at the meal, it’s just a matter of numbers now.

1 Like

Are you flying to Orlando? If yes, I would get a TAG from the airline that your stroller is a wheelchair! That makes boarding and unboarding faster, as they make sure your stroller in on bridge as soon as you get off the plane. It also makes going through security faster in some airports (there is often a wheelchair dedicated line).

For Disney: you can also get a tag to make your stroller a wheelchair.

1 Like

Thanks, no flying… we are driving from Atlanta, so no worries about airlines.

Thanks to you and @MouseGirl42 for the information about tagging the stroller.

2 Likes

Glad to know everything will work out! Have fun!

1 Like

I’m glad the trip is still on. Have fun.

1 Like

So relieved to read this update. Minus a few minor modifications, it’s a go! Hooray!

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a good plan and realistic expectations. Hope your family still has a great trip and DD heals quickly.

2 Likes

That is awesome your trip will still go on. My family and I will be there from 5-30 to 6-4 so I will be on the lookout for a 5 year old in a stroller with a pink/purple cast. Have a great time!

2 Likes

Thank you!!! Maybe we will see you!!!

So glad to read this update! I hope you have a great trip!

1 Like

Woohoo Trip On! I am glad no surgery, and she is ok. I know your trip will be awesome and bring some quirkey memories because of this. Enjoy yourselves.

1 Like

Definitely no problem taking your daughter to California Grill. There will be plenty of children, you are at Disney World :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the positive vibes.

22 Likes

That’s a super awesome cast! Perfect for character meets. I’m glad things are working out and my son has been to both of those restaurants With me. You guys will have a great time.

1 Like

Thanks @AliceInChicagoland we hope it will work well for character meets! I am a Chicago native, now living in Atlanta… still miss my hometown.