Skyliner fail — what compensation would you ask for?

My initial thought on compensation was a VIP tour could help recoup some of the lost time. I imagine those stuck weren’t rope dropping this morning and it was throwing off their plans.

After this trip we’re not planning to be back at WDW for a weeklong vacation for many years. In theory 4d PHs would be nice to have for that future trip but I’d still feel a bit burnt by the experience and that’s exactly the feeling Disney is trying to alleviate with the compensation.

1 Like

Compare and contrast:

“How was your trip to Disney World?”

1. “It was a bloody nightmare. We were stuck on a cable car for hours. The kids were scared and hungry. I was desperate for a wee. We missed our birthday dinner appointment. Never again.”

2. “It was amazing! The Skyliner broke down so the next day they took us on a VIP tour of the parks. We got to do FOP and SDD and 7DMT all on the same day. The guide was so sweet to us and we learned loads of interesting facts about the parks.”

10 Likes

It’s an unfortunately long delay not the Titanic! :passenger_ship:

1 Like

Oh. I didn’t mean to overlook that statement.
I was commenting on the part where they had stuff ready to go when they got off.

You and I both cruise and have seen how that industry has learned that their customers absolutely require information. It’s unconscionable to withhold information.

2 Likes

You asked what we’d consider appropriate compensation. For me I very much connect time and money.

I don’t think I’d enjoy this. But I believe the monetary value is probably pretty commiserate with the time spent up there IF I were just stranded. (Those injured should find a lawyer and those frighteningly evacuated is likely its own special group.)

4 Likes

I see your point.

3 hours is a long time. I read about people vomiting. I’m sure people, especially kids, had to relieve themselves. I think if I had had to relieve myself in a small box with strangers I would be pretty traumatized. I don’t know what kind of compensation I would ask for, but it would probably be bigger than 1 day and a gift card.

11 Likes

I am sorry but this is ridiculous :

"One of the three Disney Skyliner routes experienced an unexpected downtime Saturday evening. As a result, the Skyliner will be closed while we look into the details surrounding this downtime. We apologize for this situation, and we are working with each guest individually regarding impacts to their visit with us.”

6 Likes

Frighteningly evacuated - that image of the evacuation over the water - rappelling out of the gondola? Heck no and I’m not afraid of heights.

2 Likes

Does Disney know about the internet?

8 Likes

“We are terrified of a class-action lawsuit.”

5 Likes

Yea - that would be pretty traumatizing

1 Like

I would have been hyperventilating and most likely passed out.

2 Likes

I got stuck on Tower of Terror this summer. We were just about to enter the lift shaft. Our seatbelts were locked so we couldn’t get up or move around. From time to time we got messages from loudspeakers saying they were sorting things out.

It was fine. Almost fun. I got a cool picture out of it.

Here’s the thing. We were there for maybe 20 minutes tops. In that time the woman in the top left of the picture had already started freaking out. She was threatening to cut the seatbelt with the scissors she was looking for in her bag.

Now put her in a Skyliner for three hours. And sit next to her. Still don’t want any compensation?

PS We got our FPPs refunded. And a bottle of water.

6 Likes

yikes. I would be freaking out too on tower of terror

Nah. We were on solid ground. We hadn’t actually entered the lift shaft.

In the Skyliner, I’d have been that woman. On ToT, I’d have been fine. Not that I’d have jumped out of the Skyliner or anything but I’d be freaking out to that degree. Employing every coping skill I could remember in my head so as not to scare others around me. (Cognitive Behavior Therapy has its benefits.)

As humans, we tend to want to judge others with the yardstick we use for ourselves but as a wise woman once told me, “We shouldn’t judge other peoples’ coping skills.” Nor should we measure anyone else’s distress by our own. (Looking at the jerk doctor who recently dismissed what I deemed a level 8 pain by saying was it really that close to childbirth. How the world would HE know what childbirth feels like?)

What might seem like an adventure to one and a story to tell one’s kids/grandkids could well be traumatic for another.

No, it’s not the Titanic. But it is what it is and I only have my own experiences to measure it so kindly let me decide how I feel about it, you know?

ETA: Replying to you but not directed the general use of “you” to you, KWIM?

10 Likes

To be fair, she was worried about her kid, I think, as much as anything.

The Skyliner thing would amuse me at first, then irritate me, then it might freak me out. But mostly I would just get increasingly mad.

1 Like

Am I “just” stuck or am I in one of the buckets that crashed?

If “just” stuck I would want 1-day ticket of whatever kind I already had (base or hopper).

If I’m a crashed bucket I want an AP and a two night stay at the resort of my choosing.

Unless I’m injured and then I decline everything until I speak with my attorney.

7 Likes

FP is the “fix-all” these days and it’s not okay.

4 Likes