Skyliner Accident

Drew the Disney Dude’s Twitter Photo

Video Footage

One of the Liners in chat is currently stuck.

1 Like

I just posted about this too!!

https://twitter.com/BellePixi/status/1180660071170269184?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1180660439795011585|twgr^363937393b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.laughingplace.com%2Fw%2Fnews%2F2019%2F10%2F05%2Fskyliner-stuck-in-the-sky-at-walt-disney-world%2F

All the nopes!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to brave it and try it and it is a solid no from me, now.

1 Like

I am scared of heights, but generally can deal if I’m enclosed. They would have to sedate me before getting me to walk out of the gondola and on to that ladder though!

1 Like

I just told my son the same thing. How would this be handled with an ECV, strollers, or wheelchairs?!

1 Like

I travel with my 3 small kiddos - 7, 4, and 2…this would be a really crappy situation to be in.

1 Like

My family skis and we’ve been in tons of gondolas like this. A freak accident of this magnitude is really rare. Having one in the first week of operations at WDW tells me something is wrong - with the design, operation or whatever - and I can’t imagine I’ll let my family on them in a couple weeks when we are there.

Evac takes a loooooong time, but they should have plans for children, ECVs, over water, etc. I remember a basic chair lift evac took over 3 hours one time and that was way smaller and less complicated than this system! I feel so bad for those poor people stuck up in the air!

5 Likes

I can’t imagine. I would need therapy after this and I’m not saying that flippantly. I really would.

2 Likes

I feel so bad for all involved. I am very disappointed as I was looking forward to having an alternate form of transportation from Pop in November

5 Likes

Someone has suggested perhaps related to loading mobility-impaired (scooters, wheelchairs, strollers, etc) vs able-bodied people who are fit for skiing. This seems plausible. May need to implement new process for these situations?

4 Likes

I’m with you on that. Those poor people. I’m having heart palpitations just imagining it.

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple of places report that it was due to a power failure. Man, Disney is going to be opening their wallet after this mess!

1 Like

Omg! We were literally just on that yesterday and passed through that Riviera station.

I was thinking how efficient and great it was for families like us with strollers. I feel terrible for those people stuck up there right now, especially those with small kids and elderly folks!

5 Likes

The crash picture is really concerning. I wonder if people were in the gondolas that crashed. Hoping everyone on the ground and in the air are doing okay. Thankful for the rescue teams that are working to get people out safely.

2 Likes

Well, that didn’t take very long.

Sigh. Hope nobody tells @ryan1 about this. He’s gonna freak out out.

8 Likes

How do you think those involved will be compensated? Pretty well?

Disney reports that no guests were injured in the accident.

If you’re new to the Disney Skyliner system, it opened just this past Sunday, September 29th to mixed reviews. Early images of inside emergency black box kits revealed that the kits contained glow sticks, packaged water, and human waste containers.

From Tweets I’ve read, people are being offered 4 day park passes and $200 Disney gift cards…but Disney is discussing details with each group/guest as those not planning to stay as long won’t use the pass.

We check in to pop this morning and are going to Epcot. We planned on using the skyliner to get there-that’s a big NOPE now! :weary::woman_facepalming:t2::rofl:

1 Like

Not least because I imagine they’ll take the whole thing offline. I’m going to be at Pop in December and I’m wondering if it will even be running again by then. And, if it is, whether I’ll ride it.

Huge fail for Disney. Some people are getting fired and the PR department has a big headache on its hands.

Reminds me of the (more serious) rollercoaster crash at Alton Towers in the UK. That was down to operator error. The place is run by teenagers. Visitor numbers went way down.

2 Likes