Simon's 34 day itinerary, your thoughts please!

Not sure if this was already asked and answered but can you split this up into two 2 week trips instead? Maybe go in March then return in September for Halloween horror nights?

I understand you’re doing other things besides Disney but I dont know if Disney can even sustain itself and not get repetitive over 5 weeks straight.

Things that are not on your list:

Gatorland

I drive (actually It called International Drive) A lot of little places to visit: wonderworks, Ripley’s, I think there is a wax museum, plenty of miniature golf, and there are outlet malls one with the Disney character warehouse.

If you go to the west coast there is Tarpon Springs which is where sponge dock is.

West coast Captiva the Bubble Room restaurant. (they used to have one in Orlando but it closed.)

Daytona Beach: the beach also the speedway

This is a great idea, we’re well up for some baseball! So spring training is where the major league come down to Florida to practise, right? Is that the best thing to see or would a minor league game be more authentic (read ‘cheap’ into that equation too :stuck_out_tongue: )

If you are at all interested in the history of Spaceflight, you will need two days at Kennedy.

One day is not enough time to do everything, even without taking any of the special tours.

We also find the first couple of days, although we’re awake early, we also need an early-ish night too. Just adjusting to the time difference can take it’s toll.

Thanks Joe, great list.
So we’re spending some time in the Everglades before all this, airboats, national park sites etc, would Gatorland still be worth doing?
Captiva Bubble Room and Tarpon Springs was completely new to me, looks interesting too! Could be good things for our weekends.
Daytona/St Augustine could be good east coast day trips perhaps.
Disney Outlets we are going to be all over!

I’m not positive but I think that the Atlanta Braves do spring training at ESPN Wide World of Sports in Disney.

Gatorland is an Orlando staple it is older than Disney World. I’ve been there 2/3 times it is a nice half day trip. I would go if I was you but you can always Google it to make sure.

2 Likes

You’ve got so much time, a drive down to Miami, and the Florida Keys isn’t out of the question.

You read our minds. We’re actually flying into Miami, have a couple of days there to do the Keys, beaches and Miami itself, then a day through the Tamiami trail with Coopertown Airboats booked on Groupon already, and a few state parks if the shutdown doesn’t happen again…
We’re also then off to New Orleans for family Mardi Gras and a few days visit. Then the above schedule kicks off…
I know, we’re ridiculously grateful for it all, don’t throw things xxx
We’re finishing off with an east coast road trip seeing friends, DC, and three days in NYC where we fly back from.

1 Like

We’ve already bought the tickets, although I’ll see if we can maybe do a come back offer.

We can’t, it’s really a once in a lifetime opportunity. Kids and work at points we can take a big break like this, and the chance to have this villa for free which I doubt we’d get again. Also, really it’s about making the most of the flights, once we’ve paid to be there, we want to make the most of it.

1 Like

major league come down to Florida to practise, right? Yes. From late Feb to late March the Major League teams play spring training games. The ticket prices aren’t insane (Disney insane). The Yankees play in Tampa. Atlanta Braves are at ESPN in WDW. But the Blue Jays (my team) is the one to go to In Dunedin Florida. The beaches near by are incredible. Also Tarpon Springs is a 10 minute drive from the stadium for the best Greek food outside of Greece. :slight_smile:

Okay, so definitely want to see baseball, but given we know nothing about it, and wouldn’t know an Atlanta Brave if they served me a Dole Whip, should we try for going to spring training (it’s actual matches, right?) or romp up to a minor league baseball game like the Lakeland Flying Tigers near where we’re staying?
What do you think would be more fun?

Edit - looking at websites does the actual season start in April, so Spring Training is our only choice?

I go fishing on the Two Georges out of Tarpon Springs. I’ve fished up and down the East Coast they are the friendliest people I have ever met. The boat goes out a 7am and my direct deposit did not go in till 9am (which I did not know at the time) They let us go fishing and pay when we got back. I took DD in Feb. and in May I was in NH fishing on a different boat with the same mate who remembered me.

1 Like

You can get a second day for next to nothing. Just upgrade at the gate.

There’s Atlantis, the Saturn V building which you need to take a bus to. Then there’s the Astronaut Hall of Fame, the IMAX, a Mars interactive “mission”, lots of hands on exhibits, the Rocket Garden where you can climb into several replicas.

On the website there’s akind of TP feature. Either put in a time and it suggests what you can do, or select what you want to do and it works out how much time you need,

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

Okay, thank you, will get more HS nights in!
Just checked the schedule and Fantasmic is 8pm, Star Wars Spectacular at 8.30 so sounds like definitely no chance of both the same night. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Wow, $70 for a whole day’s deep sea fishing, is that right? That seems like amazing value!

1 Like

Yes they play real games in spring training. I think you’ll enjoy a major league spring training game way more than a minor league game. Spring training IMO is better than an actual regular season game for someone who is new to baseball as you’ll get close to the field for way less money.

I’m going to do this on my next trip! Thanks for the tip @joefishing209

Okay, Major League it is then, good stuff. So any thoughts on what would be the best experience? Grounds, teams… etc? There seem to be some in Tampa, or the Braves at ESPN
And any general tips on where is best to get seats for a game etc?

It’s a big boat that hold about 60 people but I would say they would not take more then 40 max.