Silly question about cross-country flight

I haven’t flown cross-country in over a decade. And even then it wasn’t non-stop.

We are flying nonstop from BOS to LAX for our trip in just (gasp!) 5 days. And I am wondering: are they going to give us anything substantial food-wise or should we bring a lot of snacks or small meal? We will be flying from 9am-3pm east coast time so crossing that breakfast/lunch time. I don’t want to land hangry and dehydrated.

So tell me how to do this.

Thank you! (It’s so weird to feel like a noob!)

2 Likes

JetBlue? You can purchase some items depending on the flight. I don’t know if that flight qualifies for the upgraded options. For free they will give you a choice of 3-4 chip choices.

I usually get a cheese and cracker tray. It is $9 and I can buy one/get one free with my JetBlue card.

3 Likes

Yes JetBlue. Good to know there are both free and for-purchase options. Might still go heavy on the bag snacks. Including (obviously!) Twizzlers :laughing:

I just added a bag to our flight. I was surprised to see that I could also get a pet for $125! But it doesn’t seem you get to pick the pet – it seems random, grab-bag style distribution – so we passed. I’d love another sweet kitten but I could get some crazy barn cat or a tarantula or snake and I don’t want those.

Also we can get “even more speed” for just 15! If the whole plane did this we could arrive hours earlier! But it seems like a group project that is destined to fail so we passed on that too.

7 Likes

3 Likes

The link I posted shows they will be selling food on your flight if you are leaving during the specified hours.

They will also go through the cabin selling headphones (for the entertainment), pillows (neck pillows) , when they offer the boxes/food.

Sometime during the flight they will try to sell the JetBlue card. The offer I received, not on the flight, had 2x the points.

3 Likes

Like!

1 Like

Did you book the lowest fare with only one personal bag?

I booked the fare with carry-on only. I added one bag (for me only) out and back.

1 Like

I’ve flown BOS-LAX many times and am not into airplane food (but my family usually buys the snack trays on the flight), so I prefer to get a breakfast sandwich or bagel from the Dunks in the JetBlue terminal beforehand, plus I bring snacks. Although flying into LAX for us also means an immediate trip to In-N-Out upon landing :yum:

3 Likes

I like being self-sufficient on airplanes, especially for long flights. You never know what they’ll have onboard, and you never know whether you’ll end up sitting on the runway for 2 hours for a weather delay. If they have something we like, then great. If not, I’ve brought enough to keep us going.

4 Likes

We usually eat in the airport bc we always arrive “2 hours early for domestic flights”. But for the plane we bring our own snacks. The whole fam is picky eaters and sorry but I’m not paying $9 for crackers and cheese. Those are prices I reserve for Disney only :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It has been a long time since I have been served an actual meal on a flight that wasn’t transoceanic. On Southwest and American, which are the airlines we flew from Phoenix to Orlando this year, they served some sort of cookies, pretzels, or crackers, and that was it. We brought gallon ziploc bags of snacks for each person. When possible we got meals in the airport before our flights.

The food on airplanes has always sucked, so it’s not a huge loss. But it can be tricky for logistics, especially with kids.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry, but I’m saving every bit of stomach space for all the DLR foods. I have even said we need to stay extra days just to eat all the things. There will definitely be no in-n-out burgers

4 Likes

But, that still means eating at 7am and then not again til 3pm. Hence the wondering about what we should bring vs what might be provided.

I think we’ll mostly stock up our carryon with stuff, but it’s good to know what else there might be.

1 Like

A few things to maybe try… The chorizo Queso fundido from Carthay is always bomb. Along with the chili from Smokejumpers or Carnation Cafe. The burgers and long beans from Trader Sam’s are also worth trying. I might be the only one with the unpopular opinion of not liking In N Out. If you want a really good burger The Habit is the place to go. :blush:

6 Likes

Way overrated.

7 Likes

I have one within walking distance and never feel like I’m missing out. The Hamburger Habit started here in Goleta and is now spreading across California as The Habit. The best burgers, sandwiches, fries and onion rings. Their food truck used to be in DTD for awhile too.

3 Likes

The Habit was in UT too… yum!!!

5 Likes

I get that not everyone likes the limited menu or the special sauce, but in my 40+ years of being a loyal customer, I have never had a single bad meal from In-n-Out.

The ingredients are incredibly fresh and amazing. No limp lettuce or bruised tomatoes here. No icky/moldy soda taste from the machines and always a free replacement if something gets dropped. And the employees LOVE the many benefits including the highest fast food wages, college assistance and 401k’s. Then there are the bonus trips and gifts for reaching goals or holidays with paid time off.

It’s a regional favorite like WaWa and Tim Hortons, but not franchised. Simple menu, extraordinarily consistent product. Happy employees and satisfied customers. It’s not in my Postmates/UberEats/Grubhub list but I’ll brave the wait for it any day!

7 Likes

:astonished:

1 Like