Side trips from DLR

We are planning a trip from NC to DLR next year around Halloween. The trip will be myself, DW and DS10 and DS6 (he will turn 6 on the trip). My sister and her grown kids are likely going, too.

Originally, we were planning to go for four nights and do three days in the parks. Then, we decided to add an extra day and hit Knotts Berry Farm one day. Now, my wife suggested that if we are flying all the way across the country that we stay an extra day or two and do something non-Disney.

Anyone have any ideas for a non-theme park day? I know there are tons of things to do. We are not planning to rent a car. I saw an 8-10 hour bus tour from Anaheim into LA, but not sure DS6 will enjoy that.

There are a ton of cool museums in the area. You can Uber to them. Maybe a beach day? What kinds of things are you thinking?

Santa Ana Zoo looks decent. And maybe one of those bus tours that stops in LA, Hollywood, Santa Monica etc. Thought about going to San Diego Zoo, but not sure we want to drive that far but maybe that would be an option, too.

What museums have you been to that you would recommend?

The Bower Museum is really nice, it depends on how much the little ones are patient for a museum. the beaches are near by which will still be warm that time of year. Nixon’s library is near by. Everything else I would recommend would be in the LA area.

Everything will involve a car.

What kinds of things to do you like to to? What would the kids like?

We did two trips where we split time between San Diego and DLR WITH GIRLS THE SAME AGES. LAJOLLA, MIDWAY museum, POINT LOMA, ALL BEACHES, balboa park, hiking in Torrey pines. We went in August both times and spent a couple hour each day at beach while in San Diego. Never went to sea world or zoo because so many other options and finishing trip at Disney. Look into SoCal city pass. Ideally four days San Diego first than four days Disneyland, three at Park one relaxing at grand Californian. We would drive up from San Diego early evening and stay first night at park Vue across street, check in to Disney hotel early next morning to take advantage of early entry, two nights at Disney,and last night back to park vue. Saves a couple hundred $.

I forgot about the SoCal City Pass. That might give you some ideas. And the city passes save you quite a bit of money.

1 Like

You can take the public bus from anywhere you are at to Huntington Beach. I have done it a couple of times with groups of students. Because of all the bus stops, it is a little more than an hour trip from Disneyland to the beach. Huntington Beach has some good shopping, excellent beaches, an a nice Pier. On weekends we have run into Live music and various free shows, activities in the town and on the beach. You can probably go to the City web site to see if anything is going on when you are there. It is a great way to spend a day!

1 Like

We did a few days in San Diego before Anaheim. Headliners were the Midway aircraft carrier & the Zoo - got a rental car from airport at SD and dropped it off at the Alamo in Anaheim which was walking distance back to hotel. In Anaheim we did a couple side trips to see the Angels & Dodgers - Angels was a short & very cheap Uber - the venture to Dodger Stadium was the exact opposite, but probably beat driving ourselves…